View Full Version : fitting a factory td42t turbo to a na td42

cookman450
21st December 2013, 07:05 PM
hi all I have just purchased naturally aspirated td4.2 out of a 97gq ute and I have a 99 gu td4.2td and want to fit all the factory stuff onto the td4.2 is there any little tricks I need to know or problems I might be facing any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated

MudRunnerTD
21st December 2013, 07:12 PM
There is a blow by blow thread done by AB when he fitted a GU turbo to his GQ TD42. Have a search around mate. Won't be hard to find.

cookman450
21st December 2013, 07:20 PM
thanks mudrunner

cookman450
21st December 2013, 07:22 PM
is there a link some one could put up to thread I am searching but cant seem to find it not very good with these forums:(

AB
21st December 2013, 07:26 PM
I'm on the phone mate so can't give a link but you should find it on here doing a search.

With yours being a later model than mine you might be lucky having the bung on the left hand side of the block for the oil drain which will be a huge bonus. Check that out first. Take some pics if you can't find it for us to see.

Another tip. The bung behind the left engine mount is where you want the direct oil feed feed. Spray that with wd40 the night before and very carefully see if you can undo it. It's easy to strip!!

If you can get that off, bonus...that's your oil feed. Mine was seized on a d had to feed from the oil sender around the other side.

It's a fun job, not hard but ask any questions if you get stuck and then get a dyno once done, pyro and boost gauge....you won't know your car after this mod!!!

AB
21st December 2013, 07:30 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=4973

This should work....the thread was started by Tony and some photos are missing at the start but read through it and then my thread starts on page 2 with my install.

cookman450
22nd December 2013, 01:10 AM
thanks heaps AB this is real informative will keep you posted on the progress

cookman450
22nd December 2013, 07:19 AM
AB is it possible to fit the sump aand injector pump from my TD42TD GU engine straight onto the TD42 instead of modifiying the td42 sump what im trying to ask is can i pretty much use the TD42 just as a base and put all the stuff from the TD42TD onto it will all the parts bolt straight on thanks mate

growler2058
22nd December 2013, 07:21 AM
Im sure externally everything will bolt on. AB or Nissanewby will know for sure

AB
22nd December 2013, 07:33 AM
Thats a good question and a good idea....I'm not 100% sure on the sumps but I would be 99% sure they are the same sump across all TD42's....Size and holes. Might just want someone else to confirm this???

Have a read of this below re the injector pump...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14282-GU-%28TD42%29-NA-injector-pump-vs-turbo-injector-pump

Your install with the oil and water feed will be the same as my thread, Pirtek is your friend here too.

cookman450
22nd December 2013, 08:23 AM
thanks you guys this is a real big help I cant wait to get it underway just waiting for the guy to rip it out of the gq then its time to start a build thread I think:-)

growler2058
22nd December 2013, 08:32 AM
We love build threads here mate, heaps of foters please :)

MudRunnerTD
22nd December 2013, 09:01 AM
Whats wrong with the TD42Ti engine your stripping the turbo off???

nissannewby
22nd December 2013, 09:48 AM
AB is it possible to fit the sump aand injector pump from my TD42TD GU engine straight onto the TD42 instead of modifiying the td42 sump what im trying to ask is can i pretty much use the TD42 just as a base and put all the stuff from the TD42TD onto it will all the parts bolt straight on thanks mate

Sumps are all the same. The injector pump will go straight on. The factory turbo blocks are different in they have the turbo drain in them so you will need modify the sump on the NA regardless to fit a fitting for the turbo drain.

cookman450
22nd December 2013, 02:16 PM
mudrunner it dropped a big end so the plan is to pull the td42td out and rebuild it to some better specks ie quality pistons etc etc to run a bigger turbo and get some serious KW's out of it this is a long term goal I cant see it happening in the near future but its a plan