PDA

View Full Version : Contaminated Fuel

kind
21st December 2013, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, last night had a bit of bad luck that ended the the old girl on the back of a tilt tray.

I just fueled up Nd got back on the high way went about 20km when I waterbin fuel pump light came on so im looking for a place to pull over I start getting smoke though the dash next thing I know the temp shot from nothing to off the top slammed it off the road and cut the engine. The photo is where is was straying all the steam from. Do you think the fuel is related?

NP99
21st December 2013, 09:06 AM
What servo mate?

threedogs
21st December 2013, 09:09 AM
Have you split a hose and boiled it ???

kind
21st December 2013, 09:20 AM
Nar hoses are all fine no cracks flow bottle full the only bit I could see that was different was the thing in the photo had shot the bolt out.

And servo was Qld M1 BP at yatlar.

happygu
21st December 2013, 09:35 AM
Doesn't sound Fuel related at all Kind,

Sounds more like lack of water - and in a hurry too if you hadn't noticed it 20 Klms before.

Looks like you may have had a sender that has broke, or even just a bolt that has fallen out. Not sure why that piece is even in the hose if it wasn't being used for a sensor of some sort.

Hopefully you have shut it down before any damage occurred.
Mic

Mic

kind
21st December 2013, 09:44 AM
Hey after I got it towed I put some water it started it cause I had to park it and it was running really rough and I had no power steering so I really have no idea

NP99
21st December 2013, 09:48 AM
Not good mate, starting to sound like a head gasket if it's running rough.

kind
21st December 2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah guess so the only real reason the fuel came up was cause the water in filter light came on and then not long after pop

kevin07
21st December 2013, 11:32 AM
if theres water in the filter I would suggest bad fuel no matter what else has happened if you have comprehensive insurance you will be covered but get the fuel tested written up by a reputable mechanic as some companies want a sample hopefully you also have the receipt or paid by card.to get the fuel company to pay your excess.

kind
21st December 2013, 01:30 PM
Yeah only have 3rd party on this one but once I get a report if it says come back with water im just gonna go after BP direct

threedogs
21st December 2013, 01:39 PM
The photo suggest an aftermarket water temp adaptor thinghy,
Fill her up and check for bubbles in the water, or water in your oil
Do you think you turned it off before any damage was done ??

kind
21st December 2013, 02:44 PM
Im not to sure TD im hoping so I cant figure out why my power steering went as well it was fine when I turned it off then aftrr I got it off the truck when I was tring to park it it had no power streering first I thought the driver put the strap over my arms but couldnt see anything.

On top of that there was no leaking oil or water other then what sprayed out of that hole. I wont know for a week or so anyway as I had to leave the car my oldies and its 150km away so gotta try find a tow rig and trailer so it doesn't cost me $500 to tow it

threedogs
21st December 2013, 02:49 PM
You didn't break a belt, that happened to me, no warning no noise,
it would be coolant not oil

NP99
21st December 2013, 06:13 PM
Have a look here on how to claim against BP.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_internet/australia/corporate_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads_pdfs/f/258415_BP_FuelGuarBro_Update_Dec11_DL_WEB.pdf

Parksy
22nd December 2013, 08:11 AM
Have you checked to see that the power steering belt is still on and not loose? Maybe it snapping had something to do with the coolant sensor being knocked off? Like 3d mentioned, check your coolant for bubbles. Cut the top off a 2l coke bottle and electrical tape it to the radiator filler neck and fill it with distilled water, easy way to check for bubbles and you won't make a big mess.

It's a shame you can't check it straight away...

threedogs
22nd December 2013, 08:23 AM
Still trying to figure out how/why your power steering is not working.?
Maybe some coolant splilt on the belt causing it to slip, seems strange ?

lhurley
22nd December 2013, 02:30 PM
Still trying to figure out how/why your power steering is not working.?
Maybe some coolant splilt on the belt causing it to slip, seems strange ?

The belt would squeal if that the case?

kind
22nd December 2013, 02:57 PM
Haha I really wanna go have a look over it but woth xmas and moving and no time off I stuffed :(

Sir Roofy
22nd December 2013, 04:03 PM
If the powersteering is not working could be air in the lines
as for the engine could be head gasket or head cracked

kind
24th December 2013, 04:36 PM
And just like that my troll is dead needs new engine thay I cant afford so was fun but I am no longer a proud owner of a patrol :,(

threedogs
24th December 2013, 05:36 PM
Re power it if you can

kind
24th December 2013, 06:51 PM
Re power it if you can

What you mean TD?

philfree
24th December 2013, 06:52 PM
something worth putting out their my mechanic friend said he had a light truck and it went 20 ks and blew up rebuilt it and it went 20ks and blew up turned out the servo sold him furnace fuel and it burns like 4x hotter

kind
24th December 2013, 07:58 PM
So the Crank shaft pulley loose removed timing belt covers and fan and checked found key way has snapped off on crank shaft and damaged crank shaft beyond repair mechanic suggested I get new engine his family friend so I know his not just trying to get some work cause he also said he csnt do the job for me anyways haha.

Anyone know what it would cost to put a td42t in it parts and Labour wise?

NP99
24th December 2013, 08:03 PM
Won't be cheap :( are you looking at a motor from wreckers or reco shop?

kind
24th December 2013, 08:30 PM
Won't be cheap :( are you looking at a motor from wreckers or reco shop?

Not sure I haven't even looked into it at all yet im really just still in shock at the news Its really a kick in the nuts I only got it like 2 months ago and already spent to much on it

NP99
24th December 2013, 09:26 PM
Mat (Nissannewby) is the diesel man for us here in qld. Might be an idea to pm him and seek some advice.

Some info here too

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/oops-2-8-diesel-gone-what-now-engine-conversion-54386/

Roscoe
24th December 2013, 10:03 PM
I have a complete rd28t with new head,turbo,timing belt,water pump,fan belts,glow plugs,engine is a good runner has done 340000ks,only reason i pulled it out is i got another gq with a td42 for next to nothing , so i am doing a conversion only thing is i am in Melbourne but if you are interested pm me.

kind
24th December 2013, 10:11 PM
Yeah ill look into it in the new year for now guess im just gonna try and forget about it till the new year and enjoy xmas with the damily haha

Roscoe
24th December 2013, 10:44 PM
Yeah fair call,have a Merry Xmas any way.

kind
24th December 2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah fair call,have a Merry Xmas any way.

Yeah thanks mate you to if you where in bris I woukd probably snap that up haha

lhurley
24th December 2013, 11:28 PM
They come up fairly often. I seem to see a rd28 thats been pulled out every month or 2

NP99
25th December 2013, 12:14 AM
If the moon and stars align for you, we could get a few guys together and make it happen....

lhurley
25th December 2013, 12:57 AM
If the moon and stars align for you, we could get a few guys together and make it happen....

Being a local to brissy as well, I'm more then happy to lend a hand.

NP99
25th December 2013, 01:14 AM
Being a local to brissy as well, I'm more then happy to lend a hand.

We'll done mate, that's 2 of us. Over to you Kind.....

threedogs
25th December 2013, 06:39 AM
Merry xmas you'd be looking at $12000 to $15000 including the motor,
It could be way cheaper if you can do most yourself. Don't take that as gospel though

NP99
25th December 2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah, at that money you have to ask yourself if it's a viable thing to do.

kind
25th December 2013, 08:53 AM
Yeah would love to do it but I dont have antwhere I could keep the car while doing it. Thanks alot for the offers of help though really means alot.

Will just wait and see how I go first things first enjoy your day how ever your speanding it :) merry xmas fellas

NP99
25th December 2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah would love to do it but I dont have antwhere I could keep the car while doing it. Thanks alot for the offers of help though really means alot.

Will just wait and see how I go first things first enjoy your day how ever your speanding it :) merry xmas fellas

No worries mate, offer stands, enjoy your time with your loved ones. Cheers.

threedogs
25th December 2013, 10:52 AM
what about a change over motor if that's cheaper??