PDA

View Full Version : resale value.

Ben-e-boy
20th December 2013, 05:11 PM
G'day.

How far do you think a patrol has to be modified before it can justify a premium on resale value?

Granted I am fully aware thet you never make your money back on parts, but going on what I see for sale modification wise and some of the prices for a patrol with basically entry level gear are the same price as the patrols that have gone the extra using quality gear. (Both with what I think is a premium price)

Bloodyaussie
20th December 2013, 05:14 PM
I agree mate..... now lets sit around a fire and drink beer and discuss in more detail!!!

mudnut
20th December 2013, 05:28 PM
I think a lot of people like to have a blank canvas to work on. I was happy to buy a stock Q because it had an easy life.

Ben-e-boy
20th December 2013, 05:55 PM
I think a lot of people like to have a blank canvas to work on. I was happy to buy a stock Q because it had an easy life.

Yeah I understand that, but it is not the question, I see stockers or close to it for less than a modified one.

MudRunnerTD
20th December 2013, 06:16 PM
I reckon some of he prices I have seen for a stocker with a TD42 have been unbelievable! I see TB42s for $2,500 all the time but rary see a TD for under $8k

I reckon Bene that if you have spent the coin on decent mods then it's reasonable that they are worth "something". The smart thing to do though is strip the good bits off, detune it if you like and present mild over wild for a better return. Sell the bits off for profit or fit to another car.

SonOf
20th December 2013, 06:24 PM
maybe the stockers have less kms or their owner think they can ask a high price on a vehicle only run to the shops etc while the guys with the fully tricked truck think it is worth a high value due to the gear added? Who knows. Me, I like close to stock personally so I cando the mods and learn along the way

Ben-e-boy
20th December 2013, 07:06 PM
I reckon some of he prices I have seen for a stocker with a TD42 have been unbelievable! I see TB42s for $2,500 all the time but rary see a TD for under $8k

I reckon Bene that if you have spent the coin on decent mods then it's reasonable that they are worth "something". The smart thing to do though is strip the good bits off, detune it if you like and present mild over wild for a better return. Sell the bits off for profit or fit to another car.

Yeah That would be smarter thing for return, That is definatly the way I would do it if I was ever going to sell, which I wont. It will rust and die in my possession. Lol

maybe the stockers have less kms or their owner think they can ask a high price on a vehicle only run to the shops etc while the guys with the fully tricked truck think it is worth a high value due to the gear added? Who knows. Me, I like close to stock personally so I cando the mods and learn along the way

But I dont think a stocker should fetch a premium, something that has just been used to run to the shops, never in 4wd, tells me that the front end and the transfer case could be neglected ( even though its unused, seals can dry up etc,

Short start stop trips to the shops, says to me that there is more chance of sludge deposits than a well used ( not flogged) engine no matter what make.

MudRunnerTD
20th December 2013, 07:45 PM
Yeah That would be smarter thing for return, That is definatly the way I would do it if I was ever going to sell, which I wont. It will rust and die in my possession. .

Yeah I reckon mine might end up being Zach's first car!! Lucky little sh1t ;)

Cuppa
20th December 2013, 07:56 PM
I think a lot of folk would look at a fully tricked out truck & assume there was a good chance it had been knocked around off road, subject to wear & tear. For some knowlegeable folk this could say ‘Capable’, but to others ‘could have been ‘abused/hammered’, hence the attractiveness of the ‘Toorak tractor’ driven by the little old lady driving to church on Sundays only.

nissannewby
20th December 2013, 08:19 PM
Are you thinking of selling ben-e?

Dhuck
20th December 2013, 08:19 PM
I think a lot of folk would look at a fully tricked out truck & assume there was a good chance it had been knocked around off road, subject to wear & tear. For some knowlegeable folk this could say ‘Capable’, but to others ‘could have been ‘abused/hammered’, hence the attractiveness of the ‘Toorak tractor’ driven by the little old lady driving to church on Sundays only.

This is why I own the truck I have. Could not find the one I wanted so got what I got at what I think was a good price. As some would know a great toy.

Dhuck
20th December 2013, 08:21 PM

Come on Matt. That is his missus. Cost alot of money like all. However this one has given him more pleasure than any woman.

Ben-e-boy
20th December 2013, 08:41 PM

No way.... I have been thinking about this since those $30k GQ's showed up.

Drewboyaus
20th December 2013, 08:55 PM
Perhaps it's like buying a period home to renovate. Often you see fully renovated period homes selling for only a small premium over a "renovators dream" bomb site.
Most people prefer to start with the blank canvas and do it their way rather than pay for someone else's potential renovation blunder.
I think what Cuppa said has some validity too

Ben-e-boy
20th December 2013, 09:11 PM
Perhaps it's like buying a period home to renovate. Often you see fully renovated period homes selling for only a small premium over a "renovators dream" bomb site.
Most people prefer to start with the blank canvas and do it their way rather than pay for someone else's potential renovation blunder.
I think what Cuppa said has some validity too

Yes they are valid points, but my question isnt about if people prefer to buy a stock patrol to modify or a modified one, its about at what point do people think modifification makes it worth that little bit more.

Avo
20th December 2013, 09:12 PM
might be for what you can insure them for to...I got the shock of my week when I filled out a quote form for mine with all the extra's the came back with a insured value of 21 grand.plus 3 grand of camping gear...so if that's what it's worth written off why not ask for it before it goes over the edge...just a thought....

Drewboyaus
20th December 2013, 10:23 PM
at what point do people think modifification makes it worth that little bit more.

I reckon that depends on a combination of what sort of parts have been used and what it looks like.
6+ inch lift, no sway bars, big guard chops etc. I imagine would have (most) people looking elsewhere whereas high quality components, in proportion and looking tidy is more likely to get the cash.
A degree of "uniqueness", whatever that equals would help push up the value too.
I've always liked really capable vehicles (of whatever type) that don't scream out "Look at me" that's what I would pay extra for but that's just my personal choice.

Clunk
20th December 2013, 10:33 PM
It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay......... IMO, I don't care how much has been spent on mods, they're the GQs are still 16-23 years old. I've had plenty of arguments in the past with dealers who are trying to make extra coin because the cars got certain accessories or mods.

threedogs
21st December 2013, 05:22 PM
If buying you would like to see some big ticket items already fitted, like a bull bar and winch.
Most will have a 2" lift even if a bit sagged, and possibly a roof rack.
Everything on my Patrol I put there for a reason, it's never ending but getting there
I brought mine as a stocker but even having a bulbar would have saved me heaps
if I do buy another certain accessories will be coming off for sure

MudRunnerTD
21st December 2013, 07:53 PM
I think it really depends on the Mods Bene.

Worthless mods include lift (any lift nearly is worthless) bull bar and Chinese winch hold little value, dual batteries, storage drawers, cargo barrier, lights are all worthless IMO.

I really believe the only marketable Mods that one should expect a little more for would be Air Lockers front and rear bring maybe $1000 premium (for a $3000 investment) and an after market Turbo $1000 to $2000 premium on a TD (for a +$3,500 to $4,500 investment)

A TD 42 seems to attract anywhere from an extra $5000 to $15,000 for a GUIV.

My 2c

BigRAWesty
21st December 2013, 09:43 PM
I guess you can look at them like houses in the way of over capitalising..

If you buy a house for 100 thou in a street for of 150 thou houses and spend 100thou referbing it, your not going to make it back..

As mentioned before. Their pushing 16-20+ years.
Your nuts if you spend 30k on a gq. Insurance will laugh at you, and so will your mate.

Things like quality bar work, winch, lockers and maybe fresh paint will increase $$$ value.

Lifts, mags, stereo. Waste of time.

How did those GQ's go anyway..?

Maxhead
22nd December 2013, 06:30 AM
If you buy a house for 100 thou in a street for of 150 thou houses and spend 100thou referbing it, your an idiot. Lol

As mentioned before. Their pushing 16-20+ years.
Your nuts if you spend 30k on a gq. Insurance will laugh at you, and so will your mate.

BS, Why???

It is each individuals choice what and how they spend $$$ on their assets, ie. If I wanted to live in a nice freshly done up house in a shitty street, what's wrong with that? or If I was building a GQ for a particular purpose and it cost me $30G's, why am I an idiot?
Insurance won't be a problem and me mates will be farking jealous...LOL

Lets not call people idiots for spending money on something they want to. However they will be truly disappointed if they think they can recover original value when they try to sell, and they are an idiot if they do this as an investment to make a profit ..LOL

threedogs
22nd December 2013, 06:39 AM
Young guy in our street paid $19K for an 89 GQ, 2 yrs ago. sure it had plenty done to it.
He cut his losses and now drives a 2006 GU TD, with a 4" lift

BigRAWesty
22nd December 2013, 06:42 AM
BS, Why???

It is each individuals choice what and how they spend $$$ on their assets, ie. If I wanted to live in a nice freshly done up house in a shitty street, what's wrong with that? or If I was building a GQ for a particular purpose and it cost me $30G's, why am I an idiot?
Insurance won't be a problem and me mates will be farking jealous...LOL

Lets not call people idiots for spending money on something they want to. However they will be truly disappointed if they think they can recover original value when they try to sell, and they are an idiot if they do this as an investment to make a profit ..LOL

No not an idiot if you want it, but if your looking to do up and sell then I think you gotta be careful not to over capitalise.
And have edited post

P4trol
22nd December 2013, 08:20 AM
You have to ask yourself are people getting the asking price when selling. (eBay has a search function where you can search for items that actually sold, and find out how much).

Whilst overseas I noticed that you could buy anything. Everything is for sale - at a price. I know people that have their house permanently listed for sale at some stupid price. No intention of moving. Perhaps some car owners do this too.

The same goes for stuff from eBay. You can buy a mass produced item from China for not much. The same product will probably be listed multiple times and the price often ranges from normal Chinese cheap to expensive in anyone's books. This is for lazy people, those that don't know how to search, and those with too much money.

Not everyone has that DIY urge, but just wants a prebuilt vehicle ready to go.

And finally there are those on a time limit, that want to get out and drive, rather than spend time on mods.

Drewboyaus
22nd December 2013, 08:45 AM
I know people that have their house permanently listed for sale at some stupid price. No intention of moving. Perhaps some car owners do this too.

Funny you say that (a bit off topic) but a mate of mine who is into boats always says the same thing; that there are two types of people selling boats, those who actually want to sell and the price reflects that and those who want to trade up to a bigger one and have their current boat permanently listed at a stupid price, hoping someone will come along and pay it.......

93patrol
22nd December 2013, 09:29 AM
i watched my brother put $40k+ into a torana 20 years ago and when he sold it he only got $12k for it it would be worth that $40k now. I think its what your willing to spend on the vehicle yourself and hang onto for a long time, cars are a de-preciating commodity its only when they get to a point of rarity will you see them go up in price. EG. phase 3 GT's.

whatever you put into/onto your vehicle is for you and if someone else doesn't want to spend that and buy one already done at a premium price then its more fool them. you get what yu pay for and its up to you to enjoy it.

I personally believe that these people asking 40-60g for a 04-06 td42 are effing dreaming and i refuse to think about paying for it but someone else may see it differently

Gecko17
24th December 2013, 11:21 AM
As has already been mentioned by Clunk, Westie and Nisshead, I believe that you can spend whatever you want to on your vehicle but at the end of the day, if you're trying to sell it, it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

I know what has been spent on my wagon, with the engine conversion as well as transmission conversion. Am I ever going to get that cost back if I sell it? Not unless you want it as much as I did and money is no object.

As for the original thread question, IMO, it still boils down to what you want to spend (and for what purpose) and how much someone wants to pay for what you have created....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chris79
24th December 2013, 09:11 PM
I think it really depends on the Mods Bene.

Worthless mods include lift (any lift nearly is worthless) bull bar and Chinese winch hold little value, dual batteries, storage drawers, cargo barrier, lights are all worthless IMO.

I really believe the only marketable Mods that one should expect a little more for would be Air Lockers front and rear bring maybe $1000 premium (for a $3000 investment) and an after market Turbo $1000 to $2000 premium on a TD (for a +$3,500 to $4,500 investment)

A TD 42 seems to attract anywhere from an extra $5000 to $15,000 for a GUIV.

My 2c

My thoughts exactly mate.
Most mods wear, especially if used for their intended purpose. Not worth much in my opinion.
Though I did sell a 3k maverick for 8k including mods lol.

NewDan
31st December 2013, 09:26 AM
I Think when buying a done up truck its a buyers market. I recently bought a done up truck because there is no way I could afford doing it myself.
The truck ( listed below in my signature) was origionaly advertised for 39k, I bought it for $31750. (77500k on the clock). After going and pricing what the extras were ( I went onto all the websites for the brands it had) it came to over 20k worth. There was no way I could afford that. The guy I got it from said he really only had tyre kickers at 39k. Its now insured for 43k ( Maximum the insurance co would allow)
Dan