PDA

View Full Version : Lost overdrive in auto

Avo
20th December 2013, 12:20 AM
hey guys was going for a drive last weekend loaded up camper trailer and half the car.half way along our journey I noticed on a hill the revs climb and little action.took overdrive botton off and it went fine.drove around all weekend,fine.drove 150 km home loaded just using d for drag without the overdrive button and it got us home no problem.so drive works and only have problem when in overdrive......I was thinking maybe oil change and a new filter casuse I haven't done it for about 4 yrs(50 000 km)but if it was this it would slip in all gears....yes...no.......it's probably cheaper to change to manual but I love my auto especially on the sand and the black top which is about 95%..the other 5% is on grass...I don't do mud

the car is a 4.2 diesel with auto...93 GQ.....

Just looking for pointers at what my problem may be.

Cheers

Clunk
20th December 2013, 03:02 AM
Does it accelerate hard or us it sluggish?........... Well mire sluggish than a td 42 is I mean ;):D

Avo
20th December 2013, 08:54 AM
hey Clunk everything is as before but if I put the overdrive button on it's like the transmission is slipping...But only in overdrive....every other gear it would still pull jesus crist off the cross....

cheeers

Ian2011
20th December 2013, 09:25 AM
it might be the lock up clutch (sprag clutch) in the torque converter, this would need to be engaged in overdrive to provide the 1:1 drive. Could also be an electrical/solenoid problem within the valve body.

shaunh
20th December 2013, 08:28 PM
my guess is lockup solenoid is dead

lhurley
20th December 2013, 09:11 PM
It's an electric over drive so hopefully it's a simple fix. When I did my auto I tossed up putting a manual in (I prefer manual) but the mechanic building it made me stay with the auto by saying, yes I can do a manual conversion for around the same price, but with a brand new auto, I know the history, 2nd hand manual could have all kinds of issues waiting to pop up in a months time and I'm back spending more money on it.

twisty
21st December 2013, 07:13 AM
Check you haven't got a leak from the radiator into the ATF system. That's what killed my auto (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8179-GU1-Auto-Trans-not-engaging). Hope not though, good luck.

Avo
21st December 2013, 09:25 AM
@ twisty,nah mate stopped straight away and checkedsince no oil anywhere to be found.

Al;so thanks for the tips guys will question me amate about the solenoid...he works at Nissan ford spare parts in town here so I get most things at trade rates..

Avo
21st December 2013, 02:06 PM
so I went for a drive this morning no load and it was fine for about 10km then started slipping,same on the way back so it is when the oil warms up..Hmmmmm

Clunk
21st December 2013, 02:16 PM
I'd be dropping the fluid seeing as its been quite a while since last done.......... may or may not be the only issue though

threedogs
21st December 2013, 03:32 PM
It may just require a service and fresh oil

Avo
21st December 2013, 06:33 PM
yep ask me mate to price a gasket kit and filter and oil.try that first.then see wot wong after that.

Avo
21st December 2013, 06:35 PM
I'd be dropping the fluid seeing as its been quite a while since last done.......... may or may not be the only issue though

I'm archiving this....might be the only good advice I ever receive from you clunkomonsta

Clunk
21st December 2013, 08:27 PM
heres some more advice that I've been given............. even though others here have used other makes of dex III AT fluid, its best to stick with the Nissan Dmatic even though its not cheap. I got a quote from Wholesale Autos in Vic, for gasket and filter kit for around $40 if I recall.......... apparently theyve got a place over here as well, not sure where though.

lhurley
21st December 2013, 09:32 PM
Just call or email wholesale about local suppliers. They could probably ship you one relatively quickly after Xmas anyways

twisty
22nd December 2013, 07:07 PM
@ twisty,nah mate stopped straight away and checkedsince no oil anywhere to be found.

Yeah, I did the same thing. Problem was the breather outlet is in the LH guard (GU1) and turned the dust to goo instead of leaking. Fun times ...

Avo
28th December 2013, 08:08 PM
so I have been driving this around still only using drive and the tacho is jumping like it's on drugs,up and down all over the place...me thinks my car is very sick.......so I shall buy oil next week...Also got a filter from Nissan down here 30 bucks....mmmm good to know the spare parts bloke hey.

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2013, 08:17 PM
even though others here have used other makes of dex III AT fluid, its best to stick with the Nissan Dmatic even though its not cheap.

Who says, as long as the specs are equivalent or better than the Nissan Dmatic any brand of A/T fluid would be fine.

Avo
28th December 2013, 09:36 PM
yeah,i asked what Nissan use here and they use dextron iii,they reckon..my head hurts

lhurley
28th December 2013, 09:53 PM
so I have been driving this around still only using drive and the tacho is jumping like it's on drugs,up and down all over the place...me thinks my car is very sick.......so I shall buy oil next week...Also got a filter from Nissan down here 30 bucks....mmmm good to know the spare parts bloke hey.

I think you might be to late for oil mate, mine would jump up and down just before it blew. Save your money on oil and get it looked at, she might be on her last legs

NissanGQ4.2
28th December 2013, 09:58 PM
I think you might be to late for oil mate, mine would jump up and down just before it blew. Save your money on oil and get it looked at, she might be on her last legs

X2, anything auto gearbox related just get it looked at straight away

NissanGQ4.2
30th December 2013, 06:35 PM
Any update or no one open yet?

Avo
2nd June 2014, 04:19 PM
thread revival,just been reading up another problem with my GU and found this one again..The update is I parked it in the and never got it looked at.When it first happened it was slipping in overdrive but after it sitting for a while I then started using it a bit.Did a river crossing or two and the usual beach and sand dune work and just drove around in drive..Now over the last couple of months when we have used the car it seems fine in overdrive,i never replaced the oil of flilter,so it may have been the solenoid playing up.sorry for the late reply but I bought a new GU so it just sits around and I don't drive it much..Cheers

Alitis007
2nd June 2014, 10:05 PM
The TPS can cause you to loose overdrive aswell

Avo
2nd June 2014, 10:53 PM
The TPS can cause you to loose overdrive aswell

nah mate talking about the GQ,if you mean throttle sensor.

Alitis007
2nd June 2014, 11:57 PM
Yeah the Throttle position sensor alters shift points and tells the trans computer when to go into overdrive then into lock up. I had a fault with my gu not going into lock up but when i used the cruise control it would, did the self test to flash out the codes and it came back with the tps, swapped it out and its good as gold