PDA

View Full Version : What does 24hrs mean???

DX grunt
24th January 2011, 10:02 AM
If a business tells you 'it will be sorted in 24hrs', does that mean 24 continuous hours, or 3 x 8hr business days?

Bigrig
24th January 2011, 10:25 AM
It depends mate - legally 24 hours is dependant upon the service - i.e. if you have procured something (tangible), then the clock starts from when they actually invoice you and payment is made (note - whichever is the latter! - i.e. you can pay online, and the clock doesn't start until they process payment and create an invoice, or you can be invoiced, and the clock doesn' start until you make payment UNLESS you have defined account terms with them). If it is an 'intangible' service (i.e. not a product but a function or task that they are to perform on your behalf), then 24 can absolutely mean three business days from the submission of the request - this is the proprietor's legal right as it were. An area I have a fair bit of knowledge in (legal contracts; consumer rights; ACCC guidelines, etc) so if you're having some stress with something in this space, let me know and I may be able to assist.

Proprietors also have a due diligence under the ACCC Fair Trading Act to ensure they don't use the act to their benefit in "delaying and/or misleading" the consumer. This is a grey area though and pretty difficult to adjudicate.

Maxhead
24th January 2011, 10:32 AM
In general terms 24hrs is 1 day so "I'll have it for you in 24hrs" would mean I'll have it for you next day.
Just depends how deep you want to look into it...lol

Bigrig
24th January 2011, 10:36 AM
In general terms 24hrs is 1 day so "I'll have it for you in 24hrs" would mean I'll have it for you next day.
Just depends how deep you want to look into it...lol

24 hours is "one day" to us old mate ... doesn't apply when it comes to any form of trade - the options are wide and varied depending on the product/service.

On that note - 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a carton ... coincidence?? I think not!!!! LOL

boggy2006
24th January 2011, 11:25 AM
24hrs or any other quoted time, means they'll do it when they feel like it...or not at all! Sorry, just my experience!

Maxhead
24th January 2011, 11:30 AM
On that note - 24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a carton ... coincidence?? I think not!!!! LOL

Haha, I like the way you think...lol

the evil twin
24th January 2011, 12:46 PM
Hmmmm depends where you are... 24 hours in Meekatharra or Walgett or the MacDonalds Blacktown Car Park would seem like a lifetime anywhere else.

In Gnowangerup I reckon 24 hours would be equal to about 6 months (with good behaviour)

Bigrig
24th January 2011, 12:56 PM
Hmmmm depends where you are... 24 hours in Meekatharra or Walgett or the MacDonalds Blacktown Car Park would seem like a lifetime anywhere else.

In Gnowangerup I reckon 24 hours would be equal to about 6 months (with good behaviour)

LOL ... how true!!

MQ MAD
24th January 2011, 02:12 PM
24 beers in 24 hours

Whatta we got here ,some learners ???

24 Hour turn around,is that like youll get it toworrow ???
And we all know tomorrow never comes

DX grunt
24th January 2011, 03:41 PM
24 hours is "one day" to us old mate ... doesn't apply when it comes to any form of trade - the options are wide and varied depending on the product/service.

That equals one can an hour. Can you put up with the stress and trauma. lol

XLR8
24th January 2011, 08:11 PM
A business I used to work for offered 24 hour service. Most people would take that as service crew are available 24 hours a day when, in reality, it meant that a serviceman would be there wihin 24 hours of your call. This usually happened between the hours of 8am and 5pm the next day

wildgu6
24th January 2011, 09:51 PM
If a business tells you 'it will be sorted in 24hrs', does that mean 24 continuous hours, or 3 x 8hr business days?

If you were waiting on something it means it will leave their desk after approx. one day not sun and sometimes not sat included so I would say its 2 days at the shortest 3 at the most.

24 hours can also be determined as 86400 seconds- sounds like a long time that way doesnt it Rossco or it can be 1440 mins, still a damn long time. Sometimes they can confuse the sec's or minutes for hours...... Sorry mate
Or it can be 1 day which doesnt sound long at all, But dont hold your breath either way buddy.........

Cheers Pete

Woof
24th January 2011, 09:56 PM
To me 24hrs means just that, 24hrs from the time that the job was given to them.

damianovdd
25th January 2011, 07:34 AM
Here (in Bg) legally the periods are counted by days. So when 24 h period is mentioned is expected services or products to be delivered the next day (up to 24 h from the call). But here for most this is only part of advertising.

DX grunt
25th January 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks everybody. Seems there's no hard and fast rule on the service delivery of 24hrs and has a very wide interpretation.

Can't go into my reasoning for asking this question right now, but thanks everybody.

Thanks.

Ross

PS: It's not about my new 95l EvaKool fridge/freezer. The town I live in is that small we don't have a 'mailman/mailperson'. We have to go to the Post Office and pick up the mail ourselves. Not that a postie could carry a big fridge on their bike, or try to stick it in the mail box. lol

patch697
25th January 2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks everybody. Seems there's no hard and fast rule on the service delivery of 24hrs and has a very wide interpretation.

Can't go into my reasoning for asking this question right now, but thanks everybody.

Thanks.

Ross

PS: It's not about my new 95l EvaKool fridge/freezer. The town I live in is that small we don't have a 'mailman/mailperson'. We have to go to the Post Office and pick up the mail ourselves. Not that a postie could carry a big fridge on their bike, or try to stick it in the mail box. lol

LOLOLOL............... Why Rossco when did you become P/C..................lolololololol