PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts – new toy

outback
18th December 2013, 12:41 AM
Well I decided to start thinking about a new replacement for the current patrol.

Basic requirements:
Diesel,
Manual,
3.5t tow rating.
No under slung spare tyre. (hint vehicle needs to be able to have a decent rear bar with spare wheel attachments, eg ARB type).
Off the shelf bull bar with 12000 lb winch capacity.
NOT a dual cab ute

I have done a quick chase around the wed at Nissan, Toyota and Land Rover. Not sure who of note I have missed out on. Jeep???

Well so far that wipes Nissan and Toyota off.
I just feel after all these years with Nissan I have been let down.

So far the only choice is the Land Rover Defender.

What has hit the market, no manual vehicles, everything is automatic. Forget the manual "over ride", its still an automatic transmission.

At present I am running a ZD30Di Patrol, manual. Yes I have thought of a bigger crate motor but that still sounds like a minor nightmare as well.

Any passing thoughts…

Stropp
18th December 2013, 12:57 AM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentley/cars-vans-utes/2006-nissan-patrol-gu-iv-st-l-4x4-white-6-5l-brunswick-4-speed-automatic-wagon/1034382789

Try that :) even if it's auto

BigRAWesty
18th December 2013, 01:13 AM
We'll you didn't buy a great engine to start so I think you'll quite enjoy the New gen 3L engines. They have fixed the issues, and with a few tweaks out perform the 6.5L conversions..

Manual, as you said.. Good luck. Like hens teeth..

But in all honesty, what do you expect a bunch of Nissan enthusiasts to say??
Buy a Jeep??? Ha, yea right...

Don't bother with the prados. Nice on road, very limited off.. The flex of a prado with 2" lift is equal to a stock patrol..

Really depends on what you want..
Want something capable from factory, or spend thousands to be medioca??

threedogs
18th December 2013, 06:48 AM
You'll be disappointed if you buy a Land Rover, Prado has plenty of buttons to tackle any terrain.
If you were to go Toyota you're looking at the 4 door work mate 70s, but its 2013 nearly 14 and these
are still leaf sprung. The new GU Cr diesel would be my pick even if you had to wait for a manual.
Oh and Jeep remember their slogan "Theres only one Jeep" ,,,,,,It's getting fixed lol

Bob
18th December 2013, 07:12 AM
Who cares. I am sorry but this is a Nissan Patrol Forum

taslucas
18th December 2013, 07:22 AM
Who cares. I am sorry but this is a Nissan Patrol Forum

X2.... And if you go on a jeep forum they'll tell you to buy a tiny, uncomfortable jeep.....and a Toyo forum will tell you to get an over priced, weak, old technology wagon.

But another way to think about it is this: if you take all the money you are willing to spend on a new vehicle and put it into your current vehicle then you're going to have an absolute weapon.

Also, my auto is a bit tricked up and will out drive a manual in the steeper, slippery or more technical stuff. (bring it on growlers!! Lol)

Drewboyaus
18th December 2013, 07:39 AM
X 2 with Bob and Westy, you are wrong about Prado's. That is a common misconception. I have 2 mates who drive the harder high country stuff and they both drive 120 series Prado's. It's not always about flex but good wheel placement.

threedogs
18th December 2013, 07:59 AM
Straight off the showroom floor you'd be hard pressed to find a better value for money , bang for your buck 4x4 than a current Y61 Patrol.
Sure some are better but with $100k plus price tags will need heaps of $$$$ to keep them on the road, RR Sports eg.
Make two lists pro's and Con's and I think Patrol would come out on top, only thing letting it down is re-sale value IMO
but why would you want to sell it lol
I'm a LCCV member and seen some awesome places Prado's have been, great 4x4 but not a Nissan Sorry

TPC
18th December 2013, 07:59 AM
X 2 with Bob and Westy, you are wrong about Prado's. That is a common misconception. I have 2 mates who drive the harder high country stuff and they both drive 120 series Prado's. It's not always about flex but good wheel placement.

I always thought a bit more flex would have been usefull in my Prado, that is the main reason I changed to a Patrol.

kind
18th December 2013, 08:10 AM
If your wanting to spend the money I would either go for a 06 4 .2GU still flashy and a unbreakable motor and as much as I love my troll if someone offered ne a 76 series land cruiser I would gladly swap to a toyota haha

Just my input only 2 choices I see are these.

kevin07
18th December 2013, 08:16 AM
Well I decided to start thinking about a new replacement for the current patrol.

Basic requirements:
Diesel,
Manual,
3.5t tow rating.
No under slung spare tyre. (hint vehicle needs to be able to have a decent rear bar with spare wheel attachments, eg ARB type).
Off the shelf bull bar with 12000 lb winch capacity.
NOT a dual cab ute

I have done a quick chase around the wed at Nissan, Toyota and Land Rover. Not sure who of note I have missed out on. Jeep???

Well so far that wipes Nissan and Toyota off.
I just feel after all these years with Nissan I have been let down.

So far the only choice is the Land Rover Defender.

What has hit the market, no manual vehicles, everything is automatic. Forget the manual "over ride", its still an automatic transmission.

At present I am running a ZD30Di Patrol, manual. Yes I have thought of a bigger crate motor but that still sounds like a minor nightmare as well.

Any passing thoughts…

if you want some honest opinions of the defender go and ask the owners you will get a shock and as for towing 3.5t with one they will burn the clutch pulling a carrot out of the ground lol.

threedogs
18th December 2013, 10:59 AM
@ TPC that's only a 90s, buttons weren't around then lol , that's why the 120s and 150s are so much better.
Like a Disco you see rocks you hit the rock button you see sand you hit the sand button, NO driver input at all
Easy as just keep momentum going
Open rear diff IFS front suspension of course it went no where without bumping and grinding

jack
18th December 2013, 11:52 AM
I'll admit I know bugger all but a mate has a Defender and only uses it for towing his boat, never off road. Burnt out the clutch on the boat ramp, he won't buy another one.

Drewboyaus
18th December 2013, 04:08 PM
I always thought a bit more flex would have been usefull in my Prado, that is the main reason I changed to a Patrol.

There is indeed more flex to be found in a Patrol but with a rear locker and traction control I have watched Prado's drive some crazy tracks......perhaps not as easily as a Patrol though.

TPC
18th December 2013, 04:33 PM
There is indeed more flex to be found in a Patrol but with a rear locker and traction control I have watched Prado's drive some crazy tracks......perhaps not as easily as a Patrol though.

I am beginning to wonder about you and your infatuation with Prado's.:tease:

MudRunnerTD
18th December 2013, 04:42 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentley/cars-vans-utes/2006-nissan-patrol-gu-iv-st-l-4x4-white-6-5l-brunswick-4-speed-automatic-wagon/1034382789

Try that :) even if it's auto

Ghee! I like that Allot! a couple of months ago i might have considered buying that to replace the GUIV TD42Ti while its still bringing good coin!

Stropp
18th December 2013, 05:00 PM
yes if i could get good coin for mine i would be on it like homer simpson on a duff beer.

MudRunnerTD
18th December 2013, 05:05 PM
yes if i could get good coin for mine i would be on it like homer simpson on a duff beer.

Damn it just SOLD.

FNQGU
18th December 2013, 06:13 PM
Find a good 4.2td PATROL and trick it up with some good gear.

The defender is a crap car and you will regret it if you went for one. I regularly drive one and can't wait to get back in my Patrol.

As mentioned above, if you have the money to buy a new car, you would end up with a pretty good unit if you put it into upgrading a Patrol.

Don't write of the 6.5l conversions either...

Clunk
18th December 2013, 07:27 PM
Damn it just SOLD.

buggah and i was gonna go and take a gander after work today.......... theyre just opposite where i work

TPC
18th December 2013, 09:07 PM

Gecko17
18th December 2013, 10:47 PM
buggah and i was gonna go and take a gander after work today.......... theyre just opposite where i work

That's ok Clunk. You can come see mine... Identical but for the colour!

As for what to choose? I am not a brand whore. I will go with what I believe to be the best, for what I want out of a vehicle.

I drive a 4.5l TD Troopy ambulance in the Pilbara, or wherever my contract takes me. I have also driven the latest Prado... I have driven both vehicles in all terrains and weather and would rather walk than drive the Prado. I do however love the Troopy as well as the 70 series. Would I own one? I walked on to a Toyota lot, looking to buy a brand new 70 series. Whilst on that lot, I saw a 2006 GU Patrol, with a 6.5l ICTD V8. I bought it then and there.

Why? Simple really... This is now my 3rd Patrol, as well as owning a Nissan 2.7TD Mistral in NZ (a Prado look a like.) and a 2.3l early model Navara dual cab ute.

To me, the Nissans may not be flashy (although that too has changed) but not of my wagons have ever let me down. Add to that the massive price difference and you can't go past a patrol.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clunk
19th December 2013, 12:54 AM
That's ok Clunk. You can come see mine... Identical but for the colour!

Reckon you need to take us out for a spin mate, very interested to see how that new auto of yours performs

threedogs
19th December 2013, 06:25 AM
there was an article in a 4x4 mag years ago of a bloke who threw $15K at his then 10 year old 4x4,
when finished it was brand new again and repowered, ,,,,,WHY,,,,,,,, simple there was nothing new
on the Market he liked plus he knew his old/new 4x4 inside out, would he do it again,,, hell yeah

SonOf
19th December 2013, 08:49 AM
I am no expert but if you could get your hands on a 2nd hand 4.2 you could rebuildmit for about $6k or so, trick it right up and you would have a great power plant. Even with older Patrol or Toyotas, what you spend on a new can (&lose in taxes etc one day after handing over big money) you can spend in the after market area setting up one bloody good truck.
If I had the budget for a new car my preference would be to rebuild an older one to fit my exact wants.

outback
20th December 2013, 12:36 AM
Thanks guys …:biggrin:

Many years ago I drove land rovers. They were the nice olive drab coloured ones, 4 cylinder petrol and underpowered especially the 110's. The Defenders are just a modern version of the old design and the same mil specs. I had a Toyota FJ35 SWB soft top it could out do these landy things.

As for Jeeps, well nice shopping buggies, bit like some of the Toyota stuff.

I left Toyota to buy a Nissan 4x4 720 dual cab. Nice vehicle, small but capable engine and serious problems with the gear box.

So with everyones' great answers, not necessary to the point, I have concluded its better to push my little patrol onwards and pick up a second hand Y61 VII etc with the 4.2 motor and if necessary do a rebuild of that. Most would have done little other than be a shopping trolley anyway, ie nothing serious.
Worst is most are in the eastern states not here in SA.
Well engine rebuild, suspension and real bar work still makes it a good patrol and still works out a bit cheaper.

I can then sell off the Maverick or the old patrol. Don’t need 3 vehicles.

Though at present not even sure I need 2. Haven’t driven the Maverick for months. Its petrol, manual and a 4.5 GU IV motor.

Pros and cons of manual vs auto, simply each to their own I suppose.