PDA

View Full Version : feels like wheel nuts are loose

Oldmate1
17th December 2013, 10:48 AM
i have a 2013 gu and the right hand front wheel when you try wobble it feels as though
the wheel nuts are loose has a bit of a knock noise but the nuts are tight any ideas

Ron

threedogs
17th December 2013, 11:06 AM
Look at your tie rod ends etc any steering linkages
EDit jack up and check your rears as well, better find my wheel nut thread lol

mudnut
17th December 2013, 11:46 AM
Can you wobble it from top, to bottom. If so, it may need the wheel bearing adjusted.

Oldmate1
17th December 2013, 12:25 PM
i haven't jacked the car up i just grabbed the top of the wheel and gave it a push pull
it also makes a knocking noise when i go over small bumps but not all the time

macca
17th December 2013, 12:45 PM
Reckon Mudnut is on the money, I had the same & started this thread. Worked for me.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?23891-Pre-load-on-a-front-wheel-bearing.

threedogs
17th December 2013, 01:27 PM
Wow on a 2013 model, wear already, how many Ks are on the Odometer

Oldmate1
17th December 2013, 02:03 PM
Wow on a 2013 model, wear already, how many Ks are on the Odometer

just about to roll over 20,000

happygu
17th December 2013, 03:01 PM
Oldmate,

Mine did it from new too, and it drives normally ....

I didn't believe it but a friend asked if he could check mine against his, as when he had a wheel alignment done, they picked up this top to bottom movement saying his car needed huge repairs.

Checked mine and it was the same, with an amount of movement and a clunk to go with it.

He proceeded on his trip as it was, and went from Melbourne to the Kimberley and back - so it can't be too bad.

Get Nissan to check it at the next service if you are really worried.

Mic

threedogs
17th December 2013, 03:46 PM
well at least it will be covered under warranty.

Oldmate1
7th February 2014, 12:10 PM
well i had Nissan do the 20,000k service the other day and they couldn't find the problem. they said it has aftermarket suspension its probably to do with it
so i took it to Arb and they said the spring is rubbing on the tapered seat and could fix it by putting 15mm spacers on. i took it to another mechanic for him to look
at it and guess what the wheel bearings are loose on both front wheels what the f#ck how did Nissan not find this problem

Ron

jack
7th February 2014, 12:14 PM
That's crap mate, really gives me confidence in the Nissan service. Nissan always sends me a survey after the service, I'd mention it in there and also get back to the dealer principal with your concerns.

threedogs
7th February 2014, 12:29 PM
Because of what Mega said in another thread, Nissan workshops are full of apprentices
Not putting them down probable more the tradesman overlooking them.
I'm dumb founded how they never picked it up

ThomasWatson
7th February 2014, 01:12 PM
Dealership services are shite we get people coming to us (I work for Kmart Tyre & Auto Service) complaining the dealership didn't do this ... Low and behold the dealership only cares about making money they don't care about checking everything

Oldmate1
7th February 2014, 01:20 PM
Im looking forward to taking it back to them. can wait to see what they say

mudnut
7th February 2014, 01:25 PM
They'll probably just shrug and say, "Doesnmatta." I will be interested to see what they do, though.

ThomasWatson
7th February 2014, 01:31 PM

They will probably say the same thing they don't know what to do

macca
7th February 2014, 04:07 PM

Did you try what Mudnut and I had suggested earlier? Posts 3 & 5

Cant see the point of asking for advice and seemingly ignoring it.

Any way you now know what it is and got it fixed.

Any tradesman is only as good as the information given to them (by you or the messenger from the front desk to the workshop), to come on here bagging them is your right but there will be another side of the story.

Avo
7th February 2014, 04:15 PM
i have a 2013 gu and the right hand front wheel when you try wobble it feels as though
the wheel nuts are loose has a bit of a knock noise but the nuts are tight any ideas

Ron

you'd think if he went in with this quote and they looked shrugged there shoulders and blamed suspension it's still pretty piss poor on their behalf.
Don't mean to knock ya macca but shit mate something loose on the front end even a monkey would grab the wheel and shake it,surely.Especially if you said it's like the wheel nuts are loose.

Stropp
7th February 2014, 05:30 PM
well i had Nissan do the 20,000k service the other day and they couldn't find the problem. i took it to another mechanic for him to look
at it and guess what the wheel bearings are loose on both front wheels what the f#ck how did Nissan not find this problem

Ron

thats just normal cause they employ one mechanic and the rest are apprentices or useless, i would take the bill to the nissan dealer and tell them they need to pay to get it fixed.

threedogs
7th February 2014, 05:46 PM
You're ruthless Strop lol
can't see Nissan paying the bill especially if its a franchise
Would be nice if they recognised they missed it and said s s s s s sorry

BigRAWesty
7th February 2014, 05:55 PM
This sounds a little dejavu..

Nissan service blaming the lift..

Can't remember the outcome though..
I'd do as mudnut has suggested.
It's probably wheel bearings beded in and need 're adjusting.
But better to do that sooner than later..

macca
7th February 2014, 06:01 PM
I am a tradesman and business owner and find some of the generalisations bordering on offensive.

Like I posted before the bloke doing the job is only as good as the information he is given.

If the booking staff member did not mention or record the owners concern the bloke on the workshop will only do what he has to then get the next job through his work station.
A bit harsh to blame the bloke on the tools. If the car was lifted off its wheels and or a tyre rotation was done the yes it should have been picked up.

Yes apprentices do work in workshops, where do you think tradesman come from? They do need to be supervised but not one on one with a tradesman full time, especially after they start to accumulate skills.

We have employed apprentices in our business and we have to have one licenced tradesman to each apprentice as a minimum. The motor trade may be different but to say a workshop staff consists of a tradesman and the rest apprentices is drawing a long bow. As for the useless tradesmen, sadly they do exist, we have employed a few. The get moved along pretty quick, in a workshop on poor wages if you "pay peanuts you get monkeys" might be the norm.

I stand by what I posted before guys but listen to your criticism too, I'm not too old to learn.

ThomasWatson
7th February 2014, 06:11 PM
I am a tradesman and business owner and find some of the generalisations bordering on offensive.

Like I posted before the bloke doing the job is only as good as the information he is given.

If the booking staff member did not mention or record the owners concern the bloke on the workshop will only do what he has to then get the next job through his work station.
A bit harsh to blame the bloke on the tools. If the car was lifted off its wheels and or a tyre rotation was done the yes it should have been picked up.

Yes apprentices do work in workshops, where do you think tradesman come from? They do need to be supervised but not one on one with a tradesman full time, especially after they start to accumulate skills.

We have employed apprentices in our business and we have to have one licenced tradesman to each apprentice as a minimum. The motor trade may be different but to say a workshop staff consists of a tradesman and the rest apprentices is drawing a long bow. As for the useless tradesmen, sadly they do exist, we have employed a few. The get moved along pretty quick, in a workshop on poor wages if you "pay peanuts you get monkeys" might be the norm.

I stand by what I posted before guys but listen to your criticism too, I'm not too old to learn.

I agree with macca, also being in the motor trade, I know and work along side a lot of guys from dealerships and dealerships staff base in the service side of things is around 4 apprentices to 1 tradesmen.

Sorry to put some doubt on you there macca.

Wizard52
7th February 2014, 06:20 PM
Not all dealerships are that bad. I bought my ute new in June 06 and had a couple of warranty issues but always the girls on front counter and Keith the service manager would fix it. It helped that Keith loved the 4.2's and knew them inside out.
I moved from the Caboolture area to The Bay 2 yrs ago and do not have confidence in local dealership as the have so many types of vehicles to service, they could not know every thing about all vehicles. The Caboolture dealer was a Nissan only dealership which helps IMO.

macca
7th February 2014, 06:46 PM
Sorry to put some doubt on you there macca.

Don't apologise mate.
That just is so wrong, how can they learn under those conditions.
My son in law is a mechanic and will see him over the weekend so will find out what the guys he went to tafe with dealt with in their workplaces.
I have a suspicion the people in the admin side of things, if they are tradesman, might count as tradesmen in the ratio to get approval of the apprentiship board.
Still learning...

Sorry about the HI-Jack Oldmate

nissannewby
7th February 2014, 11:27 PM
You still require 1 apprentice to 1 tradesmen in the automotive sector as well. How they get around it but is you may have ex mechanics working in parts or some other section of the company and this is how they get around it. The same thing happens where I work (I work for cummins one of the largest engine manufacturers in the world) and we have more apprentices than tradesmen on the floor , however there are more tradesmen than apprentices employed overall.

Oldmate1
8th February 2014, 08:57 AM
Hey macca
I did what you and nudnut said I did not jack the car up but could hear a clunk when I pulled on the top of the wheel that's why I asked the question to start with so I could a least give Nissan a better idea of where to look as all I could say at the 10,000k service was their is a clunk coming from the front right. I told Nissan that I heard the clunk when I pulled on the wheel. they also did a wheel rotation and still did not notice it on both the 10,000 and the 20,000

macca
8th February 2014, 10:26 AM
Hey macca
I did what you and nudnut said I did not jack the car up but could hear a clunk when I pulled on the top of the wheel that's why I asked the question to start with so I could a least give Nissan a better idea of where to look as all I could say at the 10,000k service was their is a clunk coming from the front right. I told Nissan that I heard the clunk when I pulled on the wheel. they also did a wheel rotation and still did not notice it on both the 10,000 and the 20,000

Thankyou Oldmate,

That is piss weak from the Nissan dealer. Their pride in their work obviously doesn't exist.

The what if questions come to mind. Then the lawyers will have a field day.

Just plain incompetence from the whole dealership by your reply above, retraining is needed badly by the sound of it.

Thank you for providing more information.

Dales300exc
8th February 2014, 01:00 PM
Get it serviced by a small independant workshop. They will have much more care and be cheaper to boot.

Use genuine filter kits in the warranty period and if your mechanic spots any warranty faults, drop it at the dealer with things to fix.

threedogs
8th February 2014, 02:08 PM
why not get it serviced at a 4x4 shop, I'd never take my patrol to NISSAN.
4x4 shops know what to look for and most probable drive a Patrol anyway.
A good 4x4 shop would know way more than the Nissan service Dept,

Oldmate1
8th February 2014, 02:40 PM
A mate of mine is a mechanic. I was only going to use Nissan for the warranty period but not now