E.g sand, off road, road, mud.

Cheers

growler2058
14th December 2013, 04:29 PM
My 33" MTZ's I normally air down to 18psi and take it from there

statok
14th December 2013, 04:58 PM
Yeh mine are 33s aswell mate.

I'm heading into some muddy bush tomorrow.

lhurley
14th December 2013, 05:04 PM
22 psi is usually a good starting point. Any lower then 20 and your going to start spinning the tyre on the rim a bit

MEGOMONSTER
14th December 2013, 05:08 PM
I ran my BFG muddies at 39psi on the Tarmac and 18 psi out at wombat S/F and 20psi at recent Knockwood trip.
Sand I can't help, I'm yet to experience it yet.

Bloodyaussie
14th December 2013, 05:10 PM
38-40 for road (not towing) and down to 18-22 for fun times..

statok
14th December 2013, 05:14 PM
Cheers boys. Much appreciated.

The last thing I wana do is stuff my new Micky t's

Clunk
14th December 2013, 05:23 PM
I find 25psi I my Mt atzs work well in mud n rock and decrease if needed , sand I start with 20 and work my way down if needed. On road between 35 & 38, depending on load

Ben-e-boy
14th December 2013, 05:26 PM
Beadlocks and 8psi mission accomplished on any terrain :p

growler2058
14th December 2013, 05:56 PM
Cheers boys. Much appreciated.

The last thing I wana do is stuff my new Micky t's

Ive had my side walls "folded" onto themselves if that makes sense and never had one fail (touch wood), spin on the rim. The lowest ive taken them is 16, less than that and definitely need to watch the spin without beadlocks

oncedisturbed
14th December 2013, 07:04 PM
33" AT's I have had to drop to 12psi on the sand as it was that soft, normally 18-20psi

mudnut
14th December 2013, 07:21 PM
I was running 15psi on the sand today. It made a big difference from the 18 psi I normally run.

FNQGU
14th December 2013, 07:35 PM
The other scenario is heavy corrugations and speed - it makes a huge difference to comfort and safety if you drop from your normal highway pressures/road pressures, down to around 28-30psi. Even then they can still shake the shite out of your vehicle, but if you're running at 38-40, the vehicle can start to bounce across the corrugations and lose control, particularly around any sort of corrugated corners.

There are several corners both North and South of Coen and Archer River, on Cape York, where you are almost guaranteed to see a rolled over Prado or Hilux during tourist season. Besides causation factors of overloading, speed, and inexperience, tyre pressures were usually still at 38-40, and had heated up and raised the pressure into the early to mid 40's.

On my last recent trip, we came across a bloke who was running his tyres at 55psi fully loaded and wondering why the road was so bad, and hard to hang on to. He dropped to 35psi (wouldn't believe me about going to 28-30) and couldn't believe the difference it made even then.

Gecko17
14th December 2013, 11:01 PM
The other scenario is heavy corrugations and speed - it makes a huge difference to comfort and safety if you drop from your normal highway pressures/road pressures, down to around 28-30psi. Even then they can still shake the shite out of your vehicle, but if you're running at 38-40, the vehicle can start to bounce across the corrugations and lose control, particularly around any sort of corrugated corners.

There are several corners both North and South of Coen and Archer River, on Cape York, where you are almost guaranteed to see a rolled over Prado or Hilux during tourist season. Besides causation factors of overloading, speed, and inexperience, tyre pressures were usually still at 38-40, and had heated up and raised the pressure into the early to mid 40's.

On my last recent trip, we came across a bloke who was running his tyres at 55psi fully loaded and wondering why the road was so bad, and hard to hang on to. He dropped to 35psi (wouldn't believe me about going to 28-30) and couldn't believe the difference it made even then.

Exactly right Benny. it is horses for courses and the big, common problem is having too much pressure when driving off road. If you ever forget what the max PSI for your tyre, and they're in good nick, it is written, in very tiny tinsy writing on the side wall. Your max pressure should be just under the max, by a couple of PSI when on tarseal, good condition metal roads and I find when I'm on heavy corrigations, 18-25psi comfortable. The important thing to remember when driving on lower pressures is that the sidewall is a lot less firm and if you have to corner sharply ie to avoid fauna on the road, it can result in less steering capability or the tyre coming off of the rim, which can be rather unpleasant at high speed....

Where I live, it is mainly sand that I play in and as a result, I have been down as low as 8psi, without rolling a tyre but then I don't turn hard unless I absolutely have too...

Bush Ranger
15th December 2013, 08:47 AM
I have BFG KM2s and run them at 38 to 40 PSI for the road, 25 to 33 PSI for off road tracks / corrugated roads etc depending on the variations of the road / track, 18 PSI for sand and mud.

threedogs
15th December 2013, 08:53 AM
same as most 40 for hwy work 20-16 off road ,
sand like the others start at 20 and work down,
But not a fan of sand