PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove dash switches in 2012 GU

FatBoyzInc
14th December 2013, 10:08 AM
Hi all,

Over the last few weeks, I've been doing a few electrical mods. I want to get to the back of the instrument light dimmer to connect the backlighting in my boost and pyro guages. Seem to remember in my '99 GU II that the switches just popped out the front of the dash but I can't seem to get them out this way in the new one. I can't see properly, but it is almost like they are screwed in from the rear and then the dash was assembled. Any clues?

MudRunnerTD
14th December 2013, 10:21 AM
Hmmmm I think it would pop out too?

While your playing with switches I can highly recommend moving the sub tank switch from the stupid place at the bottom of the centre section where you can't see it and place it in the gear surround panel. Soooo much better there.

FatBoyzInc
14th December 2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the reply, it reminded me of another gripe I have with the new car. I'll start a new thread about the sub tank so I get relevant responses. And if I ever get the bloody switch out I'll post up how I did it.

TimE
14th December 2013, 11:03 AM
Have a look here (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8498-GU-IV-Subtank-switch-relocation-NO-COST)for sub tank switch relocation I did on a GU IV.

My memory of getting switches out is you needed to get to them from behind, they went out backwards if you know what I mean.

Yendor
14th December 2013, 11:06 AM
Yes they are screwed in. If you put your hand up from under you should be able to disconnect the plug from the back of the dimmer switch and get access to the wires.

If you want you gauge lights to dim with the dimmer switch, connect then across the blue with a black trace wire and pink wire.

If you want them to come on full brightness regardless of dimmer switch position, connect them across the blue with a black trace wire and black wire.

MudRunnerTD
14th December 2013, 11:12 AM
Yes they are screwed in. If you put your hand up from under you should be able to disconnect the plug from the back of the dimmer switch and get access to the wires.

If you want you gauge lights to dim with the dimmer switch, connect then across the blue with a black trace wire and pink wire.

If you want them to come on full brightness regardless of dimmer switch position, connect them across the blue with a black trace wire and black wire.

You know stuff Rodney ;)

MEGOMONSTER
14th December 2013, 11:20 AM
You know stuff Rodney ;)

That's why we keep him tied up.

threedogs
14th December 2013, 11:36 AM
gotta earn his keep somehow LOL

happygu
14th December 2013, 01:26 PM
Definitely take them out from the back .... had me stumped too the first time....

Mic

FatBoyzInc
15th December 2013, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a go today. Only problem is my Guage only have one wire for the lighting. Can I assume that the Blue with black trace is earth and just connect to the pink?

Yendor
15th December 2013, 09:57 AM
The pink wire is the dimmed earth. The Patrol dimmer switch switches earth. With only one wire for lighting your not really able to have the dimmer function for your gauges in a Patrol.

If you connected it to the pink wire, the lights will dim opposite to your dash lights...... ie

Dash lights on full brightness - gauges low brightness

Dash lights on low brightness - gauges on full brightness

Switch halve way they will be about the same.

The blue with the black is the dash light power, this will turn the lights on and off with the headlight switch.

FatBoyzInc
15th December 2013, 12:18 PM
The pink wire is the dimmed earth. The Patrol dimmer switch switches earth. With only one wire for lighting your not really able to have the dimmer function for your gauges in a Patrol.

If you connected it to the pink wire, the lights will dim opposite to your dash lights...... ie

Dash lights on full brightness - gauges low brightness

Dash lights on low brightness - gauges on full brightness

Switch halve way they will be about the same.

The blue with the black is the dash light power, this will turn the lights on and off with the headlight switch.

Thanks Yendor,

That explains what happened with my old patrol. I had the reverse dimmer thing happening and in the end I just had them on when the lights were on with no dim function.

Bidja
22nd August 2017, 06:24 PM

Yendor, your post dates back a bit but did it for me. Have been seeking advice for 3xVDO gauges hook up to utilize dimmer (variation) illumination control. Did some more goggling and found your post. Worked well Thanks heaps and will connect the three gauge globes up in parallel.