PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise underfoot

Mrbeef
14th December 2013, 06:23 AM
Hey guys,

Have got a y60 td42 shorty w/ 3 inch suspension lift.

As of late it has developed a bit of knocking noise under braking and when the weight shifts.

My first thoughts are a gearbox/engine mount - how would I be able test this theory and what are your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Ben-e-boy
14th December 2013, 06:47 AM
Hi.

Sorry ,but the best ways to test that theory is to grab some tools and get under and have a good look. Check the radius arm bushes at the chassis end and the body mounts aswell

Parksy
14th December 2013, 08:24 AM
Body mounts will tend to cause the same noises also. Hard to check, but chances are if they've never been replaced, they are probably due.
Here's mine compared to a new one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/CE19E87E-4366-47B7-95D7-E076D7AB90F0-4634-00000349B75EE10D.jpg

threedogs
14th December 2013, 08:29 AM
I was going to say loose ankle ,may be wrong LOL
Nah get a long bar get underneath and try and move some things
test engine mounts by putting motor under load motor will nearly lift out of engine bay

NissanGQ4.2
14th December 2013, 09:21 AM
If its not one of the below, check the radius arm brackets themselves for elongated holes, I know of a few patrols that have elongated holes that suffer the same knocking mine been on of them :( I haven't tried fixing my knocking noise so can't say 100% this could cause the knocking but I's sure it would.

This is showing the elongated hole from my 92 GQ

Cheers

Toddie

BigRAWesty
14th December 2013, 11:58 AM
I'd grab a mate and get hike to jump on the bull bar while your under the car feeling for the knock..

A's others have listed radius arms, these do wear if not treated promptly, and if theyes have elongated the only options for repair are weld On washers or New diff..

Body mounts. Give them a tighten.. Won't hurt..

Also check radius arm to chassis mounts..

threedogs
14th December 2013, 01:11 PM
its not the exhaust hitting the tail shaft is it ??

happygu
14th December 2013, 01:23 PM
MrBeef,

I had a similar noise like yours, which was a travelling noise - sounded like it was under my feet too, and ended up being a cracked inner guard that was flexing on certain bumps and corners.

I ended up unbolting the front guard to fix it.

Mic

Mrbeef
14th December 2013, 02:48 PM
Funny you mention cracked inner guard cos I have seen a couple cracks right at front by forward most body mount.

Cheers for the replies have tried moving radius arm etc by hand doesn't seem have movement

threedogs
14th December 2013, 02:52 PM
If the second battery cradle is not fitted correctly it can and will tear the inner guard,
Big time

BigRAWesty
14th December 2013, 03:31 PM
Funny you mention cracked inner guard cos I have seen a couple cracks right at front by forward most body mount.

Cheers for the replies have tried moving radius arm etc by hand doesn't seem have movement

You won't move the radius arm by hand that's for sure.
You'll need someone to bounce On the front to "articulate" the suspension.

But also do follow up on that mount issue as its not normal..

Mrbeef
10th June 2014, 08:22 PM
Well a full set of new bushes and the noise is still there. Apart from ripping up the carpet looking for cracks in the floor/firewall.

Wondering would a gearbox mount make a metallic knocking noise?