PDA

View Full Version : 12v air compressors

P4trol
10th December 2013, 10:16 PM
A friend borrowed my air compressor, then was moving. As I didn't know the exact day he was leaving, I presumed the compressor on "long term loan".

This gave ample time for daydreaming of the next one I would buy. Unfortunately it was given back today. Nevertheless I now know why I spent ages airing up after some fun at lower tyre pressures. I bought the compressor before the patrol. One of those "4wd models at the car compressor price". Flow rate is 70 litres per minute. Don't get me wrong, it works, but I could be 1/4 way home by that time.

So the ultimate is endless air for volume. I ruled that out because of expenses and setup fiddle.

Arb ("Above Retail pBrice") make a nifty twin compressor in a carry box with air tank. It's exxy though. I like it in the way it is its own 'ecosystem' open box, roll out power lead and air hose, and go.

Still, it is only 150 litres per minute. Many compressors reach this. A few questions still plague me.

What is the maximum possible LPM delivered through a schrader (car tyre) valve?

Is there a better way to compare compressors than LPM? This value will change with the pressure inside whatever you are pumping (like a 4cyl car that might do 150km/h,but put a 500kg trailer behind it, and even disregarding stability, will now only do 90km/h).

What is the flow rate required to run an air tool drill, grinder? How much difference will a 5L air tank make to this?

What is the flow rate of a general sized 240v compressor?

I know some people have mounted their compressors behind the trim inside the cab. How noisy is this? I have a car full, and generally no one wants to get out in the rain at the end of the day. Does anyone run sound deadening?

In browsing I came across this http://www.bossairsuspension.com.au/product/com-px07-complete-12-volt-air-compressor/ it offers 170LPM free flow rate, which is the flow rate at 0psi.

I'm not opposed to building my own ecosystem to make a kit like the Arb one.

Are there any advances on flow rate, value for money and adaptability?

Cuppa
10th December 2013, 11:38 PM
That looks like a good price for the Boss PX07. It’s the one I have, together with a 9 litre tank. I paid $608 for the complete kit including tank & delivery. To be honest I haven’t put it to much use yet, but bought it on the advice of a mate who has used his extensively (without a tank) on his OKA. (20” tyres) Not only is it powerful & fast, but it also has a 100% duty cycle, so it’s not going need a rest after the first couple of tyres, nor even after you’ve done them all & your mate’s. It’s also rebuildable if need be. It is a bit noisy, but I suspect that most compressors, particularly bigger ones like this, will be.

Clunk
10th December 2013, 11:58 PM
Anyone got or used one of these?

http://www.sidewinder.com.au/page219a.html

BigRAWesty
11th December 2013, 05:17 AM
Well the ferret tyre deflator cal let out 1psi a second..

So the valves can handle a lot more than what most compressors can feed..

trekster
11th December 2013, 05:49 AM
Well the ferret tyre deflator can let out 1psi a second....

That is by removing the valve correct? Is removing the valve and just pushing the valve back in allowing the same flow?

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

92GQ
11th December 2013, 06:17 AM
I've had one of these for over 3 years now. It only takes around 45 seconds to pump my 33" tyres from 22-34PSI. Which is awesome as it takes around 1min 15sec to let the pressure down! Plus it runs rattle guns etc :)

https://www.tradetools.com/products/DC12-112

threedogs
11th December 2013, 06:55 AM
I have one called "the big black pump" and its the same as Cuppa's. I ran it via a tank.
It pumps hard and fast where others start to struggle this keeps on pumping, highly recommend

BigRAWesty
11th December 2013, 10:43 PM
That is by removing the valve correct? Is removing the valve and just pushing the valve back in allowing the same flow?

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

That's a good point. The valve mechanism would slow the flow..
If your valve is getting warn while pumping up then your at the upper limits of flow ( higher flow and greater restriction = more friction and higher heat..)
If the valve is cold the you can push more..