PDA

View Full Version : Nein nein nein nein nein ?

dads tractor
10th December 2013, 10:26 PM
well that's what the odometer reads after a flat battery and a new one installed what the f!!!

So we have a 1999 gu cab get a flat battery and the odometer goes from 320 000 to 999999999 any one able to point me in the right direction . Both trip meters and all the rest of the cluster playing the game so where to look please even a pretty please

mudski
10th December 2013, 10:50 PM
Check all the fuses for a start??? I suppose. Thats a weird one...

dads tractor
10th December 2013, 11:02 PM
Check all the fuses for a start??? I suppose. Thats a weird one... yep done mudski

ova50
10th December 2013, 11:12 PM
Might sound like a dumb question, but, is the speedo needle sitting where it should or has is gone all the way round and sitting on the other side of the zero pin?
This might provide a clue.
I should have mentioned, and a possible fix.

mudski
10th December 2013, 11:23 PM
Check all the fuses for a start??? I suppose. Thats a weird one... yep done mudski

Ok im out of ideas.
No wait! I got another idea. Earthing issue? No sure where and how to test though. Dammit.

04OFF
10th December 2013, 11:37 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery again, but pumping the break pedal a few times and pull the high beam flasher on, both helping to remove residual current, then reconnect the battery back on.

Yendor
10th December 2013, 11:51 PM
Was the vehicle jump started and the jumper leads removed while the engine was running?

If disconnecting the battery doesn't work try removing the instrument cluster from the vehicle and leaving it disconnected for as long as possible.

It sounds like the odometer may have been spiked.

threedogs
11th December 2013, 09:28 AM
Once you get it sorted there is a gizmo to put your original miles back on it.
Saw it on TV just the other day

dads tractor
11th December 2013, 10:39 AM
Was the vehicle jump started and the jumper leads removed while the engine was running?

If disconnecting the battery doesn't work try removing the instrument cluster from the vehicle and leaving it disconnected for as long as possible.

It sounds like the odometer may have been spiked. Yes jump started as described and instead of pulling the whole cluster out would the same thing be achieved by removing the meter fuse and /or other fuses . By disconnecting the - lead only is that enough for the battery reset option or better too take off both ?

dads tractor
11th December 2013, 10:41 AM
Once you get it sorted there is a gizmo to put your original miles back on it.
Saw it on TV just the other day Thanks 3 dogs what channel was it on and fta or pay cheers

rusty_nail
11th December 2013, 11:27 AM
lol i thought this was gonna be regarding that hitler video

dads tractor
11th December 2013, 11:59 AM
lol i thought this was gonna be regarding that hitler video sorry but nein works in both contexts as no no no not electrics and the speedo reading lol

ova50
11th December 2013, 12:18 PM
One of my sons had a similar problem years back with his car when he changed the battery (not a Nissan) . He got it sorted after being told a couple of things to try.
One procedure had something to do with the trip meter reset button. (there was a particular proceedure for this).
Another was to disconnect the Battery, and join both the positive and negative leads together and then turn on the ignition for a minute or two.
Maybe "Yendor" could verify if this would be ok to do.
There was another that had something to do with some fuse.
He did get it working again, but not sure which proceedure was succesful. ( would have to check with him as to what fixed it)

Yendor
11th December 2013, 07:46 PM
Yes jump started as described and instead of pulling the whole cluster out would the same thing be achieved by removing the meter fuse and /or other fuses . By disconnecting the - lead only is that enough for the battery reset option or better too take off both ?

I don't think removing the fuses will help if disconnecting the battery doesn't work but there's no harm in trying.

Disconnecting one lead from the battery is enough. If you have dual batteries disconnect that battery as well.

There's no guarantee that unplugging the cluster will fix the problem. All we are trying to do is make the odometer reset by making sure there is no residual power supply.

There is a good chance it's been damaged. Do the numbers change when driving or is it locked on the 9s?

Does your glow plug circuit still work correctly?

When I get a chance later tonight I will have a look in the workshop manual and see if I can find a reset procedure, at the moment it's beer o'clock....it's been a long hard day.

Yendor
11th December 2013, 07:58 PM
One of my sons had a similar problem years back with his car when he changed the battery (not a Nissan) . He got it sorted after being told a couple of things to try.
One procedure had something to do with the trip meter reset button. (there was a particular proceedure for this).
Another was to disconnect the Battery, and join both the positive and negative leads together and then turn on the ignition for a minute or two.
Maybe "Yendor" could verify if this would be ok to do.
There was another that had something to do with some fuse.
He did get it working again, but not sure which proceedure was succesful. ( would have to check with him as to what fixed it)

Touching the positive and negative leads together won't cause any damage as long as all power supplies are disconnected.....but it's probably not best practice.

What 04OFF posted will achieve the same results.

dads tractor
11th December 2013, 08:28 PM
Mate please enjoy beer o clock it's one thing I would ever impose upon anyone and I will join you ! Its not a problem stopping me going to work etc so chill out and enjoy and the solution may just come to you remember family first always thanks champ .

dads tractor
11th December 2013, 09:41 PM
I don't think removing the fuses will help if disconnecting the battery doesn't work but there's no harm in trying.

Disconnecting one lead from the battery is enough. If you have dual batteries disconnect that battery as well.

There's no guarantee that unplugging the cluster will fix the problem. All we are trying to do is make the odometer reset by making sure there is no residual power supply.

There is a good chance it's been damaged. Do the numbers change when driving or is it locked on the 9s? LOCKED

Does your glow plug circuit still work correctly? YES

When I get a chance later tonight I will have a look in the workshop manual and see if I can find a reset procedure, at the moment it's beer o'clock....it's been a long hard day.

and sorry Yendor not yelling just so you can see the response do you think the circuits blown if so that's expensive yeh ?

Yendor
11th December 2013, 10:25 PM
I think there's a good chance it will work. It just like when a PC crashes normal a reboot gets it going again.

If it is blown Nissan will more then likely want to sell you the whole instrument cluster.

An instrument repairer should be able to repair it.

ova50
12th December 2013, 12:24 PM
Was talking to my son about his previous speedo woes, and has suggested to try:

Turn the ignition on, select trip meter "A". Turn the igntion off. Hold down the trip meter reset button and turn the ignition back on while still holding the reset button.

The display should change to 00000. when this happens let go of the button and then press it three times (within 5 seconds). He says you may then get a heap of 8s showing in the display. He cant remember if he then just turned the ignition off and it had reset or if he had to press the trip meter button again.

I have just tried this on my vehicle and yes I got to where it was displaying all 8s. I wasnt game to press the button again.
I turned the ignition off. When I turned it back on everything is normal.

Maybe there is something to this. Is it just a matter of doing this to reset, or is there something more to finishing the proceedure.

threedogs
12th December 2013, 01:39 PM
WoW we can all turn our odometer back to zero,, NOT

dads tractor
14th December 2013, 11:45 AM
Yendor the starter solenoid is playing up its a delay to engage as in nothing for 1 sec then will start normally is this the same line of thought as the glow plugs .The starter is only 3 mths old .

Yendor
14th December 2013, 11:52 AM
No the glow plugs have a control module the starter motor doesn't.

Make sure battery terminals are clean and tight. Also check the connections on the starter motor and the engine earth.

Been through any bog holes of late?

dads tractor
14th December 2013, 12:11 PM
OK Time for a crawl underneath and wiring check and no playing in mud only sand thanks

dads tractor
15th December 2013, 01:53 PM
Was talking to my son about his previous speedo woes, and has suggested to try:

Turn the ignition on, select trip meter "A". Turn the igntion off. Hold down the trip meter reset button and turn the ignition back on while still holding the reset button.

The display should change to 00000. when this happens let go of the button and then press it three times (within 5 seconds). He says you may then get a heap of 8s showing in the display. He cant remember if he then just turned the ignition off and it had reset or if he had to press the trip meter button again.

I have just tried this on my vehicle and yes I got to where it was displaying all 8s. I wasnt game to press the button again.
I turned the ignition off. When I turned it back on everything is normal.

Maybe there is something to this. Is it just a matter of doing this to reset, or is there something more to finishing the proceedure.

Ova 50 tried your sons way and I get tripa and odo with all the 88888 then if you press again the speedo tacho and fuel gauge all give readings then turned off ignition while holding selector in and back to 9999999 . have tried a couple of different ways but to no avail.

Yendor
15th December 2013, 02:48 PM
That's the display test.

I still haven't been able to find any sort of reset procedure. Have you tried removing the instrument cluster yet?

dads tractor
15th December 2013, 02:59 PM
OK thanks Yendor and no the misses has been flogging me with xmas help in the kitchen 2kg of rum balls 2trays of rocky road you get the picture topped off with 4 16hr shifts in 6days mans getting flogged like a rented mule .Get a 10 day break so it will be pissing down rain in nqld so might do it then with the ice cold in hand.

Yendor
15th December 2013, 03:12 PM
Xmas the time to sit back and relax........NOT :smile:

It's actually a bad sign that it did go into test mode. Your problem might be more then just the computer locked up.

Still worth a try of disconnecting the instrument cluster, over night if you can.

dads tractor
15th December 2013, 03:31 PM
12 stubbie job = 2 days definitely a job for the wet. Ova 50 got the same result but his cluster is OK this is how leck leck confuses me.

dads tractor
3rd January 2014, 08:22 AM
Yendor just an update 48hr dash out everything fuses wires battery off still a no go so off to a instrument tech me thinks. Hope you had a good xmas and new year cheers

Yendor
3rd January 2014, 12:44 PM
That's a bugger. Hopefully it can be repaired cheaply.

Hope you had a good Christmas and new years too mate.

Yendor
20th May 2014, 10:25 PM
Yendor just an update 48hr dash out everything fuses wires battery off still a no go so off to a instrument tech me thinks. Hope you had a good xmas and new year cheers

Hey mate,

How did you go with this problem? did you get it sorted?

Cheers Rodney