PDA

View Full Version : Non-IC turbo td42 EGTs

Mrbeef
10th December 2013, 08:02 AM
Hey guys,
New member here - did a brief searched on EGTs but it was quite vague.

My question to you, my safari swb is running 18psi on a scarles m12 turbo. I think the spring or something in the waste gate is too strong or seized, as I cannot wind the boost down with my boost controller(even removed hose off it).

So the question is what are the known Safe EGTs to work with, when I tow my boat (6m Ali on single axle) the max I get is 600 up a hill lugging (low revs) in 5th. When not towing and lugging in 5th it gets up 550.

Engine is running a NA td42 injector pump and is over fuelled (lots of black smoke before boost)

So obviously an intercooler would help this just don't quite have money for a pwr w2a IC.

Cheers guys

Winnie
10th December 2013, 08:30 AM
Rule of thumb people go by is do not let it go past 550 deg. Mine used to get to 550 and no further before I intercooled it, now with the Cross Country cooler it does not get above 500 and generally around the board temps are down 100 deg.

sooty_10
10th December 2013, 08:32 AM
Mr beef safe egts depend on where your probe is located, is it post or pre turbo? Eg. In the exhaust manifold or dump pipe? My understanding is that post turbo (dump) safe working egts are around the 550 max, and pre turbo (manifold) is around the 750 max. Someone else will no doubt jump in and give more detail.

Mrbeef
10th December 2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah hey my probe is about 20mm off the turbo (so post-turbo)

Mrbeef
10th June 2014, 08:29 PM
Bought another egt gauge n probe. Noticeable difference between pre and
Post turbo probe. Drilled it where the first 3 tubes come into one below turbo. A good 150-200 degree difference

Tristan d
17th June 2014, 05:45 PM
hmmm that sounds too hot. Don't bother with the pwr intercooler, they're junk. Get a 600x300x76(or 100) bar and plate front mount intercooler off ebay. If you reckon you can do it yourself you can get universal piping kits which work alright or you could pay a fabricator to make up the plumbing for you.

Mrbeef
17th June 2014, 05:56 PM
I thought about wouldn't it be too laggy with all that piping to fill as well?

Have bought a frozenboost setup just gotta work out how to fit it in the cramped space. Damn hi mount turbo

nissannewby
17th June 2014, 06:34 PM
Bought another egt gauge n probe. Noticeable difference between pre and
Post turbo probe. Drilled it where the first 3 tubes come into one below turbo. A good 150-200 degree difference

This is basically why our 500 degree post turbo safer temp exists as some turbos can have this much of a differential across them. 700 is considered max safe pre turbo.