View Full Version : Intercooler/intake manifold.

Rob31
7th December 2013, 08:38 AM
I have been looking at a water to air system for the TD4.2 Dx 06 coil cab as it is fitted with the standard factory gear, the factory gear is ok in winter but suffers when towing up this way in summer. I have fitted a mandrel bent 3' exhaust to assist.
I'm leaning toward the Plazmaman unit with their manifold for a few reason, reduced EGT temp, build quality and being Australian made has anyone fitted one of these units?

Cheers.
Rob

Matt195583
8th December 2013, 10:20 PM
G'day Rob I have fitted a 5x8 PWR water to air intercooler on my td42 gq and I am really happy with it they are also made in Australia, south brisbane I believe. The kit cost me $1600 and was not to difficult to fit up.
The plazma man inlet manifold looks pretty neat I've been thinking about having a crack at making/modifying one. I'm sure it would make some difference power wise but not sure if I could justify the cost of buying one.

Rob31
9th December 2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks Matt, I will check out the PWR kit, have you adjusted your fuel pump and have you changed your radiator by any chance or is it not required?

Cheers
Rob

nissannewby
9th December 2013, 11:09 AM
The $4600 you are gonna spend on plazmaman gear can be spent very well in other areas. You can get your current manifold modified to flow better than the plazmaman one at a third of the cost. As for the intercooler again these are very expensive and as above there are other options available. Have a look at frozen boost also.
There is no doubting the quality of the plazmaman units especially their water to air cooler. Their manifold is ok and looks very trick but probably required a little more research into the flow of it.

Have you checked your current intercooler isn't leaking? Have you thought about a turbo upgrade? Also have you ever had the vehicle tuned? The standard 4.2t Are quite slow.

Matt195583
9th December 2013, 11:18 PM
Rob I had to move the ac condensor back a touch and take a little out of the back of the grille, the pwr kit is a generic kit that is suitable for the patrol. That basically means you need to fabricate the brackets for the barrel and the filler neither of these was hard to do I can post some pics if you like.
I am running a dts turbo kit with a patrol doctor high flow airbox, the pwr kit and a juiced up pump. My pump rebuild was on a gq pump with ten mm plunger, modded lift plate and a boost compensator. I have screwed the fuel up 2 turns from the base settings and am super happy with it.
I have set the boost to 15 psi and I have not been able to drive the EGT's past 350 and that's giving it a bit of a hiding. The extra fuel also helps to boost up earlier.
The WTA intercooler is great there is no turbo lag the boost gauge goes up as the pedel goes down. I also have not seen the vdo temp gauge get over 90 degrees and that's with the hotter thermostat fitted.
I also painted the IC radiator black so there is nothing to show its IC'd looks nice and stock.

Rob31
2nd January 2014, 09:54 AM
I have gone with the plazmaman water /air kit, after doing my homework and speaking with the team at Plazmaman as they have been quite helpful. So far I have installed the inlet manifold and will be using the standard intercooler, I will post results and then I will fit the water /air cooler kit and have the pump adjusted with a run on the dyno . I will post some photos when I work out how.

Cheers
Rob

slamnsam
2nd February 2014, 10:32 AM
plazman stuff is the bomb. but it has a price that makes you want to pass out. that being said the workmanship is flawless