PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak CRD 3.0L

Hodge
7th December 2013, 09:14 AM
Not having a lot of luck with this car lately. One thing after another... And I don't even abuse it!
Coolant leak I noticed yesterday evening, leaking down what looks like the side of the engine between the air-con compressor and accumulating around that circled sump bolt. Wiped it last night, and this morning there was a bit there again and that was without driving the car. Leak is slow, as it's only gathered a few drops around that area and a few drops sitting on some suspension direct beneath it.

I'm not looking forward to seeing how much is leaking after I drive the thing.

Tried to see and peek in exactly where it may be coming from, between pulleys and the airconunit, but so tight there it's very hard to tell unless you rip the whole thing apart.

What sort of damage am I possibly looking at, like is there anything common? Water pump?

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/HEmko/Public/PatrolCoolantLeak5.jpg[/URL]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/HEmko/Public/PatrolCoolantLeak3.jpg[/URL]

threedogs
7th December 2013, 10:01 AM
Might want to throw some silver flakes in it,??

Hodge
7th December 2013, 10:34 AM
Just went for a drive and got he engine to operating temperature. Got back home and not a single drop under there. Waited half a hour and had another look and once again not a single drop... yet.

For what it's worth, I've just noticed white powdery crap (glycol in coolant ) all over the hoses around the overflow bottle, but cannot see any leaks or anything. I'm 90% I havent noticed that before. and doing some quick googling brings up a few threads from the other patrol forum, about the same thing.
If it is somehow leaking from the top, I have no idea how it would have made it's way down to the front front/bottom of the engine as per my original past.
Mind you my car was parked in my driveway which has a bit of an incline.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/HEmko/Public/IMG_2941.jpg

threedogs
7th December 2013, 12:43 PM
Where does that overflow tube lead to

Hodge
7th December 2013, 02:09 PM
Where does that overflow tube lead to

Straight back into the bottom of the bottle.

threedogs
7th December 2013, 02:12 PM
Stuffed up that train of thought, lol
are the bottom of any hoses you can get to tight,
might just need to nip them up when the motor is cold

mudski
7th December 2013, 08:43 PM
As TD said. Nip up all the clamps for a start. hard to tell from the pics but is there any hoses or engine components that contain coolant directly above the said leaks? Water can only drip down...Also with your hose. Mine does it too. Its not leaking at all. I think its just the cheap rubber used. Being a little porous and the coolant bleeds through the rubber and dries leaving the white residue. Notice header tank is spotless but the hose isn't. If the tank had a split or hole in it you would assume the residue would be all over the tank...

happygu
7th December 2013, 09:58 PM
Just went for a drive and got he engine to operating temperature. Got back home and not a single drop under there. Waited half a hour and had another look and once again not a single drop... yet.

For what it's worth, I've just noticed white powdery crap (glycol in coolant ) all over the hoses around the overflow bottle, but cannot see any leaks or anything. I'm 90% I havent noticed that before. and doing some quick googling brings up a few threads from the other patrol forum, about the same thing.
If it is somehow leaking from the top, I have no idea how it would have made it's way down to the front front/bottom of the engine as per my original past.
Mind you my car was parked in my driveway which has a bit of an incline.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll138/HEmko/Public/IMG_2941.jpg

Mine has a little bit of coolant around the overflow bottle cap too, and it has been in for two services since I noticed it, so I think a littlr bit of coolant there is no problem....

Yours is more likely to be from a hose clamp or water pump

Mic

Hodge
8th December 2013, 10:14 AM
Cheers Mudski and Happy. I've seen the white residue on other cars as well, in fact my wife's Magna has it.
I just find it coincidental that I found a leak at the same time as noticing this white stuff on the hoses. I had the bonnet up not even 4 days prior and that was not there I'm sure of it.
If I wiggle, that hose where it joins close to the cap with the yellow sticker, there is a few drips of coolant coming out. But nowhere near enough to drip downwards, let alone all the way to the front of the engine.
I had a look this morning after the cars been sitting cool/idle for more than 12 hours and there is nothing there no where the existing coolant was that I noticed.
Weird.

Hodge
24th October 2014, 04:22 PM
Ok this thing is back now, same spot, and I've taken a closer look and seemed to have found roughly where it is leaking but so stupidly tight it's hard to pin point. It's sort of running out of somewhere around the top of the tensioner pulley, but towards the block. Have a photo below, and circled in yellow looking from under the hood downwards you can see a shiny spot where coolant is accumulating and down running down the block and aircon.

And I'm not sure, but seems to me it only happens on warm days and when car is NOT driven. Weird. Today it seemed to be a reasonably larger patch.

Curently going through the Patrol manual to see whats around there other than the thermostat/hoses, but I don't think it's that.

Hodge
24th October 2014, 04:30 PM
Somewhere in this area... Will have to have another look.

threedogs
24th October 2014, 04:30 PM
must be annoying for you, can you get someone around to figure out where it is actually coming from.
Sometimes two heads work better than one

Hodge
24th October 2014, 04:32 PM
must be annoying for you, can you get someone around to figure out where it is actually coming from.
Sometimes two heads work better than one

A while ago I asked a mechanic and he pointed roughly the same area. But as he put it, it's probably a 50 cent clamp, thats gonna cost half a grand to replace due to everything that needs to be removed to get to it.

threedogs
24th October 2014, 04:44 PM
could it be a split in the heater pipe, or bolts loose where it bolts to the block.
Do you have a telescopic mirror for a better look'

Edit you wouldn't have water flowing through the heater pipe in the warmer weather
as the heater would be turned off

Hodge
24th October 2014, 04:53 PM
could it be a split in the heater pipe, or bolts loose where it bolts to the block.
Do you have a telescopic mirror for a better look'

Edit you wouldn't have water flowing through the heater pipe in the warmer weather
as the heater would be turned off

Good point about the heater. I hope it's something as simple as that or a loose bolt. Just scouring the garage for a mirror on a stick I used to have. Had a small LED light on the end too. KNowing my luck it's in the tip, when I need it.

threedogs
24th October 2014, 04:59 PM
the good part is things dont flow up so
start at the bottom and retrace it up,
Might have to stand on a milk crate for easier access

mudski
24th October 2014, 05:25 PM
I would firstly replace all the spring steel hose clamps with decent stainless worm drive clamps. Those OEM clamps are garbage. It could be just lose enough for the coolant to seep out of where a hose is clamped.... Or bring a stubbie or three over to my place and we'll take a look. :)
Mine uses coolant too. Though I cannot see any leaks, I sometimes smell the coolant but, rarely do.... I need to top the bottle up once every few months.

Hodge
24th October 2014, 05:37 PM
Just had another look with more lighting and it's hard to take a photo, but looks like it's seeping through between the timing cover and the block.

Hodge
24th October 2014, 05:58 PM
In this photo I've circled where I "suspect" it to be leaking. See, now it is dry because the car has been driven, it will stay like this until probably tomorrow morning when the coolant will appear.

The black bit of (plastic?) is, what I believe to be a gasket? Sticking out from between the block and timing cover. Just speculations at the moment.

Hodge
24th October 2014, 05:59 PM
And, I am not the first one, if it is the case.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8459-Coolant-leak-from-the-timing-cover

threedogs
24th October 2014, 06:20 PM
you can see where its coming up from that hose its all discoloured.
You need to either tighten or replace that clamp,

blow up the pic you'll see what I mean

Hodge
25th October 2014, 09:03 AM
And this morning, not a single drop has leaking since parking the car, 16 hours ago.

threedogs
25th October 2014, 02:44 PM
No wonder its doing your head in, very inconsistent

Hodge
25th October 2014, 03:17 PM

Tell me about it. It's annoying. As per one of my earlier posts, it seems like it's leaking overnight, during warmer weather, as it hasn't leaked at all during winter, and its leaking now with the warm weather coming back and the last time i noticed it was last summer.

Hodge
25th October 2014, 06:43 PM
Just had another quick look and no leaks. But realized something else. I don't know why I thought the water pump fits on top of the timing cover, which is why I thought the coolant is leaking from between the timing cover and block. But they are separate items, as per this pic.
I hope this eliminates the potential to be the timing cover.

batesy
27th October 2014, 05:33 PM
you will see in the pic that Hodge put up right behind the red line a small 2 bolt flange thats for coolant hoses/heater hoses will be coming from their, will only leak when its cold cause it retracts then swells when its hot, will either be the gasket or one of the hose clamps.

Hodge
27th October 2014, 06:25 PM
you will see in the pic that Hodge put up right behind the red line a small 2 bolt flange thats for coolant hoses/heater hoses will be coming from their, will only leak when its cold cause it retracts then swells when its hot, will either be the gasket or one of the hose clamps.

Thanks mate. It hasn't done it for a few days now, so hard to diagnose further. Will be looking into this area.

threedogs
27th October 2014, 06:44 PM
yeah that two bolt flange looked suss too, will have to wait till it warms up eh

Badball
27th October 2014, 11:13 PM
I've got the same issue leaking in the same area. If I top up the coolant bottle it seems to leak until it gets to the low mark then stops and only when it's cold.

Badball
15th November 2014, 07:06 PM
Hodge, how did you go with the leak? Mine has got worse in the past month, car sat for 2 weeks and emptied the overflow bottle this time.

Hodge
15th November 2014, 09:02 PM
Hodge, how did you go with the leak? Mine has got worse in the past month, car sat for 2 weeks and emptied the overflow bottle this time.

Hi mate. I think mines not any worse than it was before. I haven't noticed any leaking for a few weeks now. Sometimes I can smell the coolant although cannot see anything from that area. I'm still keeping an eye out on it though. Ever since I've noticed this almost a year ago, coolant level hasn't changed at all. So when mine does leak, it is minimal.

My car was at nissan for a service last week, and I asked them just to have a quick look and they couldn't spot anything. But the bloke did tell me it is common for the 3L Di's to leak from there, behind the timing cover. He hasn't seen any CRD's do it yet, but there is always a first. Knowing my luck it will be mine.

Badball
19th November 2014, 01:19 PM
Well I bit the bullet, it's in now getting repaired, quoted 8~10hrs plus parts 😳. It was getting worse after every time I drove it.

Hodge
19th November 2014, 03:42 PM
Well I bit the bullet, it's in now getting repaired, quoted 8~10hrs plus parts . It was getting worse after every time I drove it.

Let us know what it actually was that was leaking mate.

Sent from my S4 using Forum Runner

Extrimal D
11th December 2014, 12:41 AM
I have a leak was behind the plate oil filter. Only noticed when I removed the plate.

Hodge
20th December 2014, 07:41 PM
Just got home and there is a fark-load of coolant all over the driveway. It wasn't there this morning and the car hasn't been driven. It seems to be coming from the same spot... May indicate that this is getting worse.

Badball
20th December 2014, 10:33 PM
Hi Hodge,

The damage was $1800 using genuine parts. The leak was coming from the seal behind the timing gear backing plate that seals against the block I believe. In my case they believe that it was from when the head was replaced it was never sealed correctly or wasn't at all. From what I was told there is 2 ways of doing the head, the cheaper and easy way or the proper way which means removing the timing gear and sandwich plate to ensure that its sealed correctly.

threedogs
21st December 2014, 08:51 AM
Mine loses about a litre and stays at that level, temps are ok even on hot days.
No way I can afford $1800 for a fix, so it looks like I just top it up before each trip

Hodge
21st December 2014, 09:00 AM
I can see where mine is coming from. I just cannot distinguish whether it is behind the timing cover or behind the water pump assembly.

Hodge
21st December 2014, 03:51 PM
You can now add oil to the mix and coolant is now leaking like a siv. Happy times just before xmas. I think oil confirms that it is the timing cover...

Maxhead
21st December 2014, 04:02 PM
You can now add oil to the mix and coolant is now leaking like a siv. Happy times just before xmas. I think oil confirms that it is the timing cover...
Shit mate, you're not having a good run hey!!

Hodge
21st December 2014, 04:07 PM
Shit mate, you're not having a good run hey!!

Shit happens mate. This is common on the common (ironic?) rails, so was bound to happen sooner or later...

Hodge
21st December 2014, 05:30 PM
Ok. So since this morning, not a single drop came out... Reason? It's warm and car has been driven. Metal expands when warm hence gap is closed and no leaks.
Last few nights were a bit coolish thats why there is a larger leak than usual. Hmmm

Hodge
22nd December 2014, 10:02 AM
Went to local mr. nissan. "yes we have had this issue on 3L's a few times, it's $4300, with an engine out job due to the timing cover overlapping with the sump"...
God have mercy.
Can get a replacement engine from wreckers for that price...

threedogs
22nd December 2014, 11:08 AM
you are joking aren't you. Praying to the powers that be
mine is not the same, but will get my bottles checked for leaks.

Hodge
22nd December 2014, 11:47 AM
Yup. They do one a week he reckons and had a silver one in there getting the engine put back in while I saw it. He said on the CRD's they also, fix up the oil pickup??? While the sump is off. I didn't understand exactly what he said, due to being stunned after he told me the quote. He also said the later model Di's were the worst culprit for this issue, because of some sandwich plate? Nissan was putting in at the time. Anyways there is no farking way I'm paying anywhere near that much. Will ring around and get more quotes and do more homework. Otherwise let the thing leak to hell.

Bacho86
22nd December 2014, 12:16 PM
Yup. They do one a week he reckons and had a silver one in there getting the engine put back in while I saw it. He said on the CRD's they also, fix up the oil pickup??? While the sump is off. I didn't understand exactly what he said, due to being stunned after he told me the quote. He also said the later model Di's were the worst culprit for this issue, because of some sandwich plate? Nissan was putting in at the time. Anyways there is no farking way I'm paying anywhere near that much. Will ring around and get more quotes and do more homework. Otherwise let the thing leak to hell.

How bad is the leak? Are you able to monitor it and just top up accordingly?

Hodge
22nd December 2014, 12:22 PM
How bad is the leak? Are you able to monitor it and just top up accordingly?

The leak isn't that bad. It mainly leaks when the weather cools down. So few days ago, we had a warm day and then it rapidly cooled down to 12-13C overnight, and in the morning leak was the worst I've seen it. As the car stands now it hasn't leaked since yesterday morning due to being driven and / or warm weather . I keep an eye on the coolant level and it really doesn't change, if at all. I have water and coolant with me in the car all the time in case of top up needed.

So I can go on as it is, it may last a month before it really gets bad, or it could be a few years? Who knows, it is just annoying and will be constantly on my mind.

Hodge
22nd December 2014, 12:24 PM
I've just been ringing around a few more mechanics. 2 of the surprisingly said, it is not an engine out job, but they don't want to touch it because they have fixed a few and cars returned a few weeks later with the leak developing again. Nissan supposedly have some sort of a seal and aligning tool to fix this correctly?? Don't know how much truth there is to it, but 2 different mechanics have said the similar thing and refused the job/quote so, there must be some merit to it.

I will ring some more reputable places and see what happens.

Bacho86
22nd December 2014, 04:11 PM
For that price I rekon would just keep an eye on it, but hopefully you'll get a better response from the other mechanics!

4bye4
22nd December 2014, 04:27 PM
Shit happens mate. This is common on the common (ironic?) rails, so was bound to happen sooner or later...

How common? Might be worth checking on other forums. If its very common and needs an engine out and/or special tool to fix it, could some pressure be put on nissan to recall and fix or even do a parts cost only fix. I got Ford many years ago to replace power steering lines at part cost only because the dealer told me "yea they all leak, Ford have a different modified hose now, there is a kit".
Might be worth a try.

Hodge
22nd December 2014, 04:34 PM
Yeah I highly doubt I'd get anywhere with that mate. Even though the service manager admitted him self right in front of me they do one a week.

4bye4
22nd December 2014, 06:47 PM
Yeah I highly doubt I'd get anywhere with that mate. Even though the service manager admitted him self right in front of me they do one a week.

Sucks mate

zoki
23rd December 2014, 12:54 PM
Hi mate. My Di was an engine out job both times. I don't know about common rails. Seeing this thread makes me a bit uneasy again... Well keep an eye out on this.
Seems like the other patrol forum has a fair few crds go through this drama.

Hodge
23rd December 2014, 06:44 PM
Hi mate. My Di was an engine out job both times. I don't know about common rails. Seeing this thread makes me a bit uneasy again... Well keep an eye out on this.
Seems like the other patrol forum has a fair few crds go through this drama.

Thanks for the heads up mate. Few other shops Iv'e talked to, said it is not an engine out job, and quotes varied from 1800-2000 for a fix.

Hodge
23rd December 2014, 06:44 PM
I just want to make sure I'm checking this the right way. The bottle circled (non pressurized one) is where coolant should be checked once engine is fully warm ??? I'm gonna keep a closer eye on it from now to see just how much I'm losing over a period of time ...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53033&stc=1

mudski
26th December 2014, 12:08 AM
The amount your losing Eric I wouldn't waste anymore time worrying about it. The conclusion seems to be an expensive one, so just make it part of your routine checks to make sure you have coolant in the (NON) pressurized bottle.

Badball
27th December 2014, 03:22 PM
They didn't pull the engine out on mine. I was just going to leave it but it just got too bad a leak and figured a cooked engine was going to cost me a hell of a lot more 😥

Hodge
27th December 2014, 04:13 PM
The amount your losing Eric I wouldn't waste anymore time worrying about it. The conclusion seems to be an expensive one, so just make it part of your routine checks to make sure you have coolant in the (NON) pressurized bottle.

I'm not keeping an eye, and track on exactly how much I'm losing roughly. After a cold night, like last night for example, in the morning, there is heaps off coolant leaked out.

Hodge
31st December 2014, 01:22 PM
Well, I think my problem just grew exponentially... Get out this morning to find this under the car. S#itloads leaked out, out of the same area. Safe to say that the hot days / cold nights we've been having didn't do too good on the metal and the gap widened. Happy new year to me!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53254&stc=1

Bacho86
31st December 2014, 01:56 PM
Damn mate, sorry to hear! That looks to be a fair amount of coolant that's been dropped overnight - qty wise, has that now completely emptied the reservoir tanks?

Hodge
31st December 2014, 02:00 PM
Yeah mate emptied the non pressurized one, and half of the pressurized one is gone too. Just re-filled it, warmed up and not leaking, since it is warm.

stretchtex
31st December 2014, 02:12 PM
I am knew to this site but I had a similiar problem thought it was coming from water pump so replace it and eventually found out it was the gasket round ring under the thermosit . regards greg

Hodge
31st December 2014, 02:27 PM
I am knew to this site but I had a similiar problem thought it was coming from water pump so replace it and eventually found out it was the gasket round ring under the thermosit . regards greg

Thanks mate. Mine is coming from an area higher than the thermostat/water pump. Pretty much 90% confirmed it is a timing cover leak.

Wives car is in much need of replacement so this bill for this will set us back a while. She ain't happy. What a farkin lemon of an engine.

Hodge
3rd January 2015, 01:02 PM
Can now add oil to the leak as well. Warm weather the coolant has stopped, but oil is now appearing from roughly same spot. I've degreased it, waiting to dry and see if it is related. I have not yet mentioned the $$$ fix for this to the minister of finance, especially as it is a tight ship about now.
Fun times.

zoki
3rd January 2015, 02:27 PM
That my friend is how mine was. Slowly got worse and oil began leaking.

That photo of big leak you had, sure it's not the overflow???? I just kept driving mine as it leeks less or nothing b when engine hot or warm weather.

Good luck.

Zack.

threedogs
3rd January 2015, 02:33 PM
Thanks mate. Mine is coming from an area higher than the thermostat/water pump. Pretty much 90% confirmed it is a timing cover leak.

Wives car is in much need of replacement so this bill for this will set us back a while. She ain't happy. What a farkin lemon of an engine.

have you tried flakes in it??
Better than Chemi-weld

Hodge
3rd January 2015, 03:47 PM
I haven't yet TD. As it hasn't been super bad till last week or so. I'm not a fan of patch up jobs personally.

Bacho86
8th January 2015, 10:05 PM
Hey Hodge, not sure how you are going with this issue but thought this maybe of interest to you to help monitor coolant levels

http://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/low-coolant-alarm/

mudski
9th January 2015, 03:11 PM
I haven't yet TD. As it hasn't been super bad till last week or so. I'm not a fan of patch up jobs personally.

That stuff John has picture is pretty good stuff. And permanent too.

Hodge
14th January 2015, 06:57 PM
My head is really spinning about this.
Been ringing up and talking to Mechanics and few dealerships. Some say engine out, some say nope. Some say, gearbox out to get sump off, otherwise you cannot align the timing cover properly, the others say nah sump stays on. Some say, gear box and engine need to come out. Some say nothing needs to come out, just the radiator and surrounding bits and bobs to get to the timing cover.
It's not about the $$$ any more it's about who to trust to do the job the right way as this is a big big job.

Hodge
17th January 2015, 12:18 PM
Been talking to 4x4 obsession and at this stage I'm confident car will go there to get this fixed as the bloke I spoke to seemed to know about this problem and the job involved fairly well.
Watch this space.

Hodge
17th January 2015, 01:20 PM
Should mention it was 4x4 Obsession in Melton. Fair drive from my place, but from very good things heard about them, it's worth it I think . . .

threedogs
17th January 2015, 01:30 PM
Not much Brett doesn't know about Patrol, ARB trained then started Total 4x4 in Epping at Fred Parkers old shop.
now he's at his second premises at Melton. Good choice IMO

mudski
17th January 2015, 06:27 PM
So it's not under warranty Eric?

Hodge
17th January 2015, 07:22 PM
So it's not under warranty Eric?

NO chance mate, car is nearly 3 years out of warranty. Even though its only done 60k.

Tunguska_1908
22nd March 2015, 06:09 PM

I have an '03 GU with the trusty (cough cough) ZD30DI in it & I've got an intermittent leak from same/similar location. Suspect it's the water pump, but until it is leaking constantly I'm not prepared to part with the $$$ to replace the bugger...
I've had the car for 3yrs and there's always been a coolant smell when the motor is switched off, but no evidence of a leak until recently, About 100ml of coolant on driveway under the front of the motor, dripping off the diff. Looked everywhere & no sign of a leak, hoses etc all ok. Funny thing is, it might leave a small pool of coolant one day, then nothing for a few weeks. So until it starts hemorrhaging coolant, I'll leave it be.
Bit disconcerting when heading out into the sticks though :-(

threedogs
22nd March 2015, 06:26 PM
I have an '03 GU with the trusty (cough cough) ZD30DI in it & I've got an intermittent leak from same/similar location. Suspect it's the water pump, but until it is leaking constantly I'm not prepared to part with the $$$ to replace the bugger...
I've had the car for 3yrs and there's always been a coolant smell when the motor is switched off, but no evidence of a leak until recently, About 100ml of coolant on driveway under the front of the motor, dripping off the diff. Looked everywhere & no sign of a leak, hoses etc all ok. Funny thing is, it might leave a small pool of coolant one day, then nothing for a few weeks. So until it starts hemorrhaging coolant, I'll leave it be.

I hear you I'm losing coolant but I cant figure it out, got me beat where its leaking from.

mudski
22nd March 2015, 06:59 PM
I hear you I'm losing coolant but I cant figure it out, got me beat where its leaking from.

Remove your overflow tanks John and separate the two. The top tank often cracks on the underside of it as it sits on top of the lower tank. If any dirt or small debris gets in there it will create issues. Mine had the finest hairline crack in it, I could always smell coolant but never see it.

Hodge
22nd March 2015, 07:20 PM

I'm willing to bet my last cent that you two have the same issues as me, and a lot of other ZD30 owners... The timing cover seal / goo is being pushed out. And mine is intermittent like all hell. Recently it's been a week without a single drop and then one day it just starts pouring out. I Too smell coolant big time everytime I turn engine off and jump out of the car after its warmed up. The coolant leaks but sits in a little tucked aaway corner where this gasket most commonly fails.
It accumulates in a small puddle in there until there is enough for it overflow and thats when you see the leak over the diff and eventually on the ground..

I'm monitoring mine still, as it does not leak in a "oh $#it" way... yet. And $2k + is a lot of $ to forkout and have majority of your engine ripped apart just to fix a $15 seal ... Very annoying but it is what it is.