PDA

View Full Version : What is the best TD42 engine to turbocharge???

muddymayhem
5th December 2013, 11:31 AM
Hey how is everyone?
Im am looking to buy a GQ patrol TD42 and i want to turbocharge it down the track i have heard there is a sort after version of this engine that is the most idea for doing this mod?
cheers :trink13:

growler2058
5th December 2013, 11:35 AM
Not really mate. GQ's came with a silver rocker cover (silver top) I think theyre the preference. In reality any td42 will respond well and is fine for chucking a turbo on

lhurley
5th December 2013, 03:01 PM
Is there any difference at all to a N/A TD42 silver top, as apposed to a factory turbo TD42 silver top?? eg oil squirters etc

AB
5th December 2013, 06:23 PM
So many different stories floating around on this subject.

I heard the conrods were better on the silver top then heard that was bull.

Not many turbo silver tops though.

nissannewby
5th December 2013, 07:00 PM
Most have squirters, it would be rare to find one without. The silver tops which were up to about 93/94 had heavier pistons in them and are good if you plan on going a little more wild than mild. The later NA black tops had lighter pistons to make response better and being lighter they can have issues if run on very poor tunes. The factory turbo models went back to the heavier internals due to the forced induction and also had ports for oil feeds and returns. Be careful if an engine has had a rebuild as it could have had anything put in it ask to see receipts.

happygu
5th December 2013, 09:24 PM
I have always been told the early Silver Tops were the strongest around '88 - '92, which is what I had ... strong as an ox and never an ounce of trouble ( by coincidence cause I didn't know about the different year models - just wanted a 4.2 and it was what I could reasonably afford ).

I have also been told, like Nissannewby above, that the black tops that came next weren't as strong, and you couldn't add heaps of boost ( over 15 PSI ), but for most applications, and most tunes this is ample anyway. I know someone that runs one Turboed with no issues.

Then the later ones are good again.

Truth be told - as long as you aren't trying to reach 200 rear wheel Kwatts, then they will all be fine.....

Mic

Winnie
5th December 2013, 09:29 PM
But speaking to Ben-e-boy he has seen or knows someone who has seen a silvertop and a blacktop apart side by side and he said the black top was stronger internally. So many rumours circulating around these motors that it's really hard to know which is true. At the end of the day they are all a TD42 so will all be a great motor =]

happygu
5th December 2013, 09:52 PM
But speaking to Ben-e-boy he has seen or knows someone who has seen a silvertop and a blacktop apart side by side and he said the black top was stronger internally. So many rumours circulating around these motors that it's really hard to know which is true. At the end of the day they are all a TD42 so will all be a great motor =]

I haven't seen it myself, but I have always been told the gudgeon pins are smaller and lighter in the early blacktops, as well as the pistons to get the reciprocating mass down, to make them a bit more revvy

Xfactor
6th December 2013, 03:54 AM
GOT a 97 blacktop turbo ... goes GR8, cant fault it - turbo glide turbo ... on a trip regularly averages 8.4 - 9.7 lts per 100ks

Ben-e-boy
6th December 2013, 07:57 AM

Sorry that was a black top rebuilt to turbo spec.

muddymayhem
6th December 2013, 08:28 AM
Thank you all. yeah sounds like there all pretty good now I don't have to stress as much about getting the wrong one lol!