PDA

View Full Version : Harris Hard Case problem

LachDiggityDog
5th December 2013, 07:39 AM
Hi all

Well it's official my Hard Case will not fit due to my caster correction plates, the top bolt is fowling it from going all the way back.
Has anyone else had this issue?

Cheers Lachy

my third 256
5th December 2013, 08:07 AM
get the grinder out

MEGOMONSTER
5th December 2013, 08:58 AM
Start problem solving and get the thing on already.

megatexture
5th December 2013, 09:00 AM
The front of Mine hits the panhard rod but that from my radius arm spacers bringing the diff forwards. I just modified the guard with a hammer and a big one at that .

Sir Roofy
5th December 2013, 09:14 AM
hi all

well it's official my hard case will not fit due to my caster correction plates, the top bolt is fowling it from going all the way back.

Cheers lachy

so many mods that are all important and you cant fit
the diff protector on takes less than 5minutes normly
grinder and hammer if you will

macca
5th December 2013, 10:11 AM
Hi all

Well it's official my Hard Case will not fit due to my caster correction plates, the top bolt is fowling it from going all the way back.

Cheers Lachy

Lachy is it possible to remove the offending bolt, fit the hardcase and replace the bolt which should now be in front of and clear of the hardcase?

Or is the bolt that close to the diff?

I am a little confused why you can not get it to fit. Which bolt is it the top or bottom?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37405&d=1385549801

LachDiggityDog
5th December 2013, 11:15 AM
Lachy is it possible to remove the offending bolt, fit the hardcase and replace the bolt which should now be in front of and clear of the hardcase?

Or is the bolt that close to the diff?

I am a little confused why you can not get it to fit. Which bolt is it the top or bottom?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37405&d=1385549801

Hi Macca it's the top bolt that is fowling I haven't tried to take the bolt out yet as you need to take all the weight off it to do so even then I think it is still going to hit. Ill post some photos when I finish work. I have already cut the thread flush to the bolt as you will see in the photos I will put up.

Did you have a similar issue?

macca
5th December 2013, 01:06 PM
I don't have the plate like you. It basically pushed / wriggled past the bolt and was a neat fit that slid home around the diff really easily.

Your plates are mounted in another hole by the look of it, did you put them on? and drill another hole in the bracket on the diff

89gqpatrol4x4
5th December 2013, 06:05 PM
thankyou macca your help, or trying to help is a bit more usefull than just get it on already and get the grinder out!

AB
5th December 2013, 06:19 PM
Finally did the trip to the po box. Looks good Mal, thanks!

Ill fit up this weekend.

LachDiggityDog
5th December 2013, 06:40 PM
OK so just an update.

Had already used a grinder to cut top bolt flush to nut and with a couple of knocks with a lump hammer and block of timber. (to protect the shiny finish : P) Eureka! It popped in.

BUT....! This lead me to the next issue the bracket is a tight fit at the back too but i reckon it will go with some hitting. The bottom bolt is now blocking the thread of where the dome nut goes. I'm thinking that i may be able to take said nut off and hit the bolt back flush put the nut on the hard case then put correction plate nut back into its original position.

37679 37680

Sigh such a simple job made so so difficult lol : D.

Any more suggestions would be much appreciated.

macca
5th December 2013, 07:06 PM
OK Lachy you have got this far, is the bottom of the hard case level? I had to grind a bit out of it so it would go anti clockwise (from the front) which allowed the "U" bolts to line up a bit better. Your bottom bolt is quite a bit lower due to the plates and may mean taking the suspension bolt out to get the nut on as you suggest. You don't have to use a dome nut a nyloc will leave room for the nut on the suspension bolt.
I had posted this elsewhere but here it is again.

megatexture
5th December 2013, 07:46 PM
Ditch the bolts and weld the bastard in place lol

LachDiggityDog
5th December 2013, 07:56 PM
Its all in level mate and your spot on about the nyloc nut that was what I was planning on doing next, I'll let you know how it goes.

macca
9th December 2013, 09:29 AM
Did you sort it out?

LachDiggityDog
9th December 2013, 04:47 PM
I haven't actually had time to do it yet Macca, plus the Red Baron is in at ARB getting it's Air locker installed :clapping: so I thought I would wait until then. I'll be sure to let you know when its in.

LachDiggityDog
13th December 2013, 05:21 PM
Hi guys just a quick message to let you know it got the Hard Case on, it wasn't that hard in the end :o lol

37897 37898

Thanks to all you guys for your suggestions and a big thanks to Macca for the idea of slipping that bolt out, it did the trick!

macca
13th December 2013, 05:47 PM
Good onya mate, now go out and smash it.!!!
Have you given the locker a whirl yet?

LachDiggityDog
13th December 2013, 07:04 PM
I haven't yet hopefully in a couple of weeks.