PDA

View Full Version : TD42 EGT issues

Barney 338
4th December 2013, 08:41 AM
Hey guys,
I'm trying to find out what the safe/ normal EGT is post turbo for a Gq .
I've got a newly rebuilt 1993 TD 42 diesel in a auto wagon .
I've rebuilt the motor , fuel pump ,injectors , 3" inch in 3" out straight though , new Garrett 2871r turbo and water to air frozen boost intercooler. Fuel pumps at 10% over standard still as it is yet to be tuned . It s rolling on 33s at the moment ,it's no power house , like I said its yet to be tuned. Water temp runs between 70 and 80 deg normal driving and will get up around 90 in the mountains working hard. Boost comes on at 1400 rpm and is fully spooled by 2400rpm peaking at 14 pound. EGT seems hot to me but I'm looking for a second opinion if some one else no s what it should max at or run at from there experience ,
Cheers

Stropp
4th December 2013, 10:05 AM
what are the egt's at??? post turbo should see no more than 500 deg unless its under load, when the vehicle gets tuned it can have the fuel adjusted to make sure the egt,s are good from my understanding. Mine runs at between 350-500 depending on what i,m doing.

threedogs
4th December 2013, 01:22 PM
X 2 with above but Winnie or NN may be able to shed some more like on it as they both have modified td4.2,
even MR will be able to tell you, but I would think anything around 550c would be getting up there

nissannewby
4th December 2013, 01:41 PM
This exact same thing is in the GQ section.

Barney 338
4th December 2013, 01:43 PM
Thank s for response guys ,
It's running 350 to 500 to and from work unloaded and 450 to 500 with the back packed to go away for the weekend fridge ,swags etc. My fear is hooking up to my 19 ft Haines hunter this summer cause temps getting up there already with out loading it up towing.

threedogs
4th December 2013, 01:52 PM
go get it dynoed is all I can suggest to you

liftlid
4th December 2013, 02:53 PM
I've been wondering the same thing as I've just put a gauge on mine.
I have between 150 to 350 deg normal round town idle to accelerating.
On a long hill at 100 kph top gear it will go to 450 / 550 deg max eg mt bunningyong from ballarat to geelong side I max out at the 550 deg at 100 kph
Not sure if I'm running hot or not?

threedogs
4th December 2013, 02:57 PM
@LL sounds right just on MAX would tend to back off if it was possible to.
But now you can drive via your gauges and adjust to suit

liftlid
4th December 2013, 03:01 PM
@3d Thanks,

nissannewby
4th December 2013, 03:37 PM
On a long hill at 100 kph top gear it will go to 450 / 550 deg max eg mt bunningyong from ballarat to geelong side I max out at the 550 deg at 100 kph

What does your setup consist of?

nissannewby
4th December 2013, 03:38 PM
Thank s for response guys ,
It's running 350 to 500 to and from work unloaded and 450 to 500 with the back packed to go away for the weekend fridge ,swags etc. My fear is hooking up to my 19 ft Haines hunter this summer cause temps getting up there already with out loading it up towing.

If you plan on towing get rid of that turbo and look at something better suited. Have you physically had the pump off and modified or has the fuel screw just been wound up? Do you intend on keeping the pump standard if you haven't modified it? Also what size frozen boost core are you using? What water pump? And heat exchanger?

liftlid
4th December 2013, 04:17 PM
Garret turbo 10psi, top mount cooler, factory pump, anything else you need?

nissannewby
4th December 2013, 04:20 PM
Do you know the specs of the turbo at all?

liftlid
4th December 2013, 04:26 PM
Do you know the specs of the turbo at all?

I will clean the dirt off and get back to you

Ben-e-boy
4th December 2013, 07:23 PM

Garret turbo 10psi, top mount cooler, factory pump, anything else you need?

I dont think there is anything wrong with that. Is Mt bunningyong a decent hill? Something you need a bit more throttle to get up?

liftlid
4th December 2013, 07:58 PM
I dont think there is anything wrong with that. Is Mt bunningyong a decent hill? Something you need a bit more throttle to get up?

Yes a bit like some of the medium hills on the Hume hwy

Ben-e-boy
4th December 2013, 08:48 PM

Ahh righto, I dont think there is any issue there to be honest, if there is an issue its bugger all

AB
4th December 2013, 08:54 PM

Your readings are pretty much identical to mine Gary....Ht18 turbo, factory pump, 10 psi no IC.

I'm starting to get bored of my car and looking to upgrade a lot next year if money permits!!!...I knew this time would come...lol

nissannewby
4th December 2013, 09:27 PM

I will agree. If you want try winding the boost up a little.

liftlid
5th December 2013, 08:46 AM
I will agree. If you want try winding the boost up a little.

Thanks guys reassuring to know,
Can't boost more than 10 at the moment , the silicone intake hoses crush because not enough air can flow through standard filter. My K&N is out for cleaning I will check when I put it back in

Winnie
5th December 2013, 10:33 AM
Standard airbox Garry?

liftlid
5th December 2013, 10:35 AM
Yes don't think it's as bad with the k and n installed

nissannewby
5th December 2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys reassuring to know,
Can't boost more than 10 at the moment , the silicone intake hoses crush because not enough air can flow through standard filter. My K&N is out for cleaning I will check when I put it back in

Which filter/airbox are you using? You have a restriction somewhere it shouldn't be your airbox/filter unless your filter is clogged. I am pulling 25psi through a gu airbox with no issues, it hurts my spool time but doesn't collapse hoses. Are you still running the 2 filters? I have seen some minor things cos your issue including a connector that went to far into the snorkel where it connects to the air box, it created like a wall causing a restriction, cut the connector down and all good.

liftlid
5th December 2013, 12:55 PM
Currently using the gq air box behind the headlight. Usually got K&N filter in it but now has a Nisan filter, will need to check for restrictions.

MudRunnerTD
5th December 2013, 01:42 PM
Currently using the gq air box behind the headlight. Usually got K&N filter in it but now has a Nisan filter, will need to check for restrictions.

Are you running a GQ pre filter in there or a GU primary filter? The GQ box is slightly smaller than the GU box in the same spot but the GU primary filter will still fit in there. I think we have had that conversation though? Yeah I would not have thought you'd have collapsing hose issues with low boost like that.

While doing the smash off of the immobiliser the other week I had my IC off the GUIV and had a good look at it for leaks etc. nothing. When refitting it though I found the rubber sleeve that the boost gauge ose goes into was fully split! I have replaced it and my temps are much much tidier. Gary I held 100kmh in 5th on the Ceres hill and it wold not go over 550 so I am very happy with that.

liftlid
5th December 2013, 05:58 PM
Are you running a GQ pre filter in there or a GU primary filter? The GQ box is slightly smaller than the GU box in the same spot but the GU primary filter will still fit in there. I think we have had that conversation though? Yeah I would not have thought you'd have collapsing hose issues with low boost like that.

While doing the smash off of the immobiliser the other week I had my IC off the GUIV and had a good look at it for leaks etc. nothing. When refitting it though I found the rubber sleeve that the boost gauge ose goes into was fully split! I have replaced it and my temps are much much tidier. Gary I held 100kmh in 5th on the Ceres hill and it wold not go over 550 so I am very happy with that.

Up cerise hill road or the ring road?

liftlid
5th December 2013, 06:01 PM
Ceres sodding iPhone!!!
I've got the gq pre filter in at the moment

MudRunnerTD
5th December 2013, 07:10 PM
Ceres sodding iPhone!!!
I've got the gq pre filter in at the moment

Yeah on the ring road which is a serious climb that goes for ages. Went up the other day and held 5th and foot on the floor and normally I'd have to feather the throttle to keep the heat below 550 as 650 or 700 would not be out of the question which is scared to me. But found the boost leak and held full noise all the way up and it held a strong 550 and just sat there.

Happy days.

Yeah the Pre Filter has a coarser filtration mate. It is designed to grab the heavy dirt but will let fine stuff through. I'd be swapping it for a primary GU filter.

liftlid
6th December 2013, 07:04 AM
I get the same EGT on the ring road,
I have to clean my K&N filter and put back in, then we will see how it goes then

MEGOMONSTER
6th December 2013, 07:43 AM
I get the same EGT on the ring road,
I have to clean my K&N filter and put back in, then we will see how it goes then

I did this after the Knockwood trip, there was a hell of a lot of dust on the filter, used my new inbuilt ARB compressor to clean it (not really made for the job,needs to be higher pressure for a quicker result), also had a lot of insects stuck in there, including a huge dragon fly. EGT's have reduced but are still a little high sometimes, just constantly keeping a eye on it to see changes.

Winnie
6th December 2013, 08:15 AM
CRDs seem to run a bit hot anyway?

liftlid
17th December 2013, 09:40 AM
So I've cleaned the K&N and the result has been surprising, the car is much more responsive and accelerates quicker than it did with a standard filter or when the dirty K&N was installed. I had not noticed a difference when I put it in and thought I had just got used to the power.