PDA

View Full Version : 1989 (?) Patrol Diesel. No fuel at injector pipes.

Porter
2nd December 2013, 09:24 PM
Hi All, I´m normally in the UK but I´m staying here in Spain with some people and volunteered myself to try and get thier Patrol started. It´s a straight six diesel with an inline injector pump and the fuel regulated by a pneumatic diaphragm on the injector pump. They think it´s a 3.3 litre and it was parked where it is now two years ago and was running fine.

I´ve put some fresh diesel in and bled the fuel system up to and including the injector pump. I´ve checked there is a plentiful supply of diesel to the injector pump when the engine is turning over as well as by using the hand primer. The injector pump is definetely turning but no fuel is coming from the injector pipes. The fuel gallery in the injector pump is full and the bleed valve is emitting uninterrupted diesel with no sign of any air.

From my days as a mechanic the symptoms would normally indicate that the fuel cut off was failing to open preventing fuel reaching the injectors. From what the owners say the engine stopped when they turned off the ignition so there is a fuel solenoid somewhere but I can´t see it anywhere. Any suggestions? Cheers, Andy

BauerPower
3rd December 2013, 07:45 AM
Those pumps do not have a stop solenoid as such. They have a stop lever externally on the pump usually operated by an external motor. It kind of looks like a windscreen wiper motor. You should see it actuate when the ignition is cycled. You can disconnect the lever to bypass it for a test but you will have to manually turn the lever to stop it.