PDA

View Full Version : Waste gate

statok
1st December 2013, 02:48 PM
Hey,

We have noticed is that the waste gate arm isnt moving when we accelerate the car. We tested it by taking the inlet hose and used my air compressor and put it into the hose and the hard moves in and out. But when we connect it back to the car it doesnt.

We have checked the inter cooler hoses and they build up pressure.
??????????

BillsGU
1st December 2013, 03:14 PM
It works on vacuum - not pressure. Chances are that buy hooking it up to a high pressure compressor you have damaged the actuator. Also, there is no waste gate on a Patrol (unless you have an after market turbo) - it is a VVT type of turbo. Also, how do you know it is not moving when you accelerate? As well as revs the engine needs to be under some load to activate the turbo and build up boost. Take it to an expert.

nissannewby
2nd December 2013, 11:19 AM
Not on a 2.8. A 2.8 has a wastegated turbo. Of course it will move using a compressor as it is probably only set at around 10psi. You won't get it to move just by revving the engine in a stationary position. How old are your filters?

BillsGU
2nd December 2013, 01:20 PM
Not on a 2.8. A 2.8 has a wastegated turbo. Of course it will move using a compressor as it is probably only set at around 10psi. You won't get it to move just by revving the engine in a stationary position. How old are your filters?

You are right - I assumed he was talking about a 3L. I still wouldn't put high pressure compressed air into a device that works on low pressure vacuum.

mudski
2nd December 2013, 08:00 PM
If it is vacuum Bill.

statok
5th December 2013, 03:25 PM
Its all good fellas.