PDA

View Full Version : Scan gauge 2 or Ultra gauge

poindexter
30th November 2013, 08:49 AM
Hi guys,

New to the forum, (have done intro etc), and have a few questions.
Firstly, I get that to do any mods on the engine I need to get some gauges fitted, like EGT and boost.
However, I'd like to fit a scan gauge, and was wondering if there are any major differences between the 2 available options , ie Scangauge 2 and the Ultragauge.
I'm guessing that they both do similar monitoring tasks and can clear error codes, so is it just a matter of personal preference? or is there a functional reason.

cheers

Ralph

NissanGQ4.2
30th November 2013, 11:07 AM
Have not used either but I think its just personal preference, I like the looks of the Ultra Gauge compared 2 the Scan Gauge but I assume they would show the same info.

Hopefully someone on here has used both and could tell you if there are any major differences, but I doubt there is

Cheers

Toddie

11th December 2013, 10:45 PM
Hi Ralph,

(copied from another thread)

I have been running the Ultragauge on my GU7 for the last few years. It reads all available parameters but does not display fault codes.

If the engine check light comes on you can clear the fault but you can't read the fault code. It can't detect fault codes.

I like the screen as it is easy to read and configure and also has the option of setting alarms.

But due to the fact that I can't read the fault code I have now fitted a scangauge 2.

The display is lacking but at least I know what is triggering the eng check light.

bignev
12th December 2013, 07:31 AM
The latest version of ultra guage can display fault codes.
See http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/TEN/trouble_codes.htm

12th December 2013, 06:04 PM
When the ultra gauge was first released it said it would display fault codes but for some reason the GU OBD11 would not communicate this.

Not sure if the latest release reads the codes on the GU. Can anyone confirm first hand use?

poindexter
14th December 2013, 11:24 AM
thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
I have gone the ScanGauge 2, which I will fit up this weekend

Supa
29th January 2015, 07:01 PM
HI Guys
Digging up an old thread here but can someone confirm that the ultragauge will display fault codes for Patrols?
Cheers
Supa

Avo
30th January 2015, 08:17 PM
bump

happygu
30th January 2015, 09:54 PM
I am after the same info on the Ultragauge too, as it seems pretty useless if it cant tell you the fault codes.....

Bacho86
30th January 2015, 10:37 PM
A little while ago I started looking into these as well and came across the EDS engine data scan. Still haven't made up my mind of what model I want to buy though - proabaly doesn't help you too much, but just more food for thought!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?31691-EDS-engine-data-scan-vs-Scanguage-II/page2

happygu
30th January 2015, 11:07 PM
A little while ago I started looking into these as well and came across the EDS engine data scan. Still haven't made up my mind of what model I want to buy though - proabaly doesn't help you too much, but just more food for thought!

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?31691-EDS-engine-data-scan-vs-Scanguage-II/page2

Looks OK ... just like a rebadged Scangauge II ......

I may end up with one of these if I cant get any answers on the Ultragauge

P4trol
31st January 2015, 10:48 AM
Don't forget to email them.

They are updating as needed. For example (I have just bought an ultragauge) forums I read said they didn't measure fuel cut (to do fuel consumption accurately you should take fuel cut into account), but when it arrived, it can do it.

I also have used the elm327 Bluetooth module. It's about $18 on ebay, and some of the basic android apps are free. I tried one (I'll look it up and post back) and liked it so much I forked out $10 for it.

Disadvantages of the apps:

Uses battery power like an alcoholic (Bluetooth does this) and that means your phone has no power. (ultra gauge runs off power from the obd2 port)

Looks better on a tablet.

Advantages : is displayed better/more features, graphs, displays

Note: all these devices are basically plug in and they work. They are only as accurate as the obd2 port tells it. As standard, they believe exactly what the obd port tells it (ie I've travelled 10km and used x amount of fuel.) this is accurate enough for fault finding, which is what the Port is used for. obviously this is influenced by tyre size and individual vehicles.

What is needed is distance calibration. You basically drive more than 4km on a straight road, measured by gps (not your odo, it comes from the server source that feeds the obd port!) . Then you correct what the obd port told the scan/ultra gauge. So instead of 4km, you might have travelled 3.9km. A correction factor is generated.

The same with fuel. You fill up, zero the fuel, and drive. Next fill up, use the same servo/pump, and correct the gauge with how many litres you put in.

Without this, you will either be spruking about how you're getting 9L/100km,or ripping you hair out because it says you are getting 16L/km. Erroneously of course!

P4trol
31st January 2015, 10:53 AM
The app is dash command. This is only one of the screens (in demo mode). You get half hour full functionality before you have to buy. Use it with the elm327.