PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters What the

Gary Vansleve
28th November 2013, 02:52 PM
Recently purchased 06 TD 42 coiled Cab Chassie decided to give her some everlovin lifeblood. Went to Nissan dealer to buy the oil filters (probably only time it will have genuine) but I had a rush of tender lovin towrds her and figured she deserved the best.

Anyhow was told it had different filters part numbers 15206-43GOA and 15206-20N1A. My research in this forum indicates otherwise and I duly told them so. They got the vin number of the truck and went to the majic computor and verified their results saying it has different filters so I ended up buying them $57 for both. Their part numbers were from Oct 05 onwards. Told them I wouldn't be impressed if they were wrong. They said they never get it wrong :p

I am thinking I should get another filter just in case which one do I get ?

Cheers Gary

macca
28th November 2013, 03:33 PM
My 05TD4.2ti has 2 filters the same, some models had different ones, maybe yours is one of them.

Winnie
28th November 2013, 04:52 PM
Very possible that you have 2 different types of filters.

nissannewby
28th November 2013, 05:07 PM
Factory td42t's had two different filters until 2001. From then on they went back to the 2 same filters. I have a late 04 td42ti and it has 2 the same.

NP99
28th November 2013, 05:38 PM
The filters are probably rebadged Ryco's...

AB
28th November 2013, 06:50 PM
Factory td42t's had two different filters until 2001. From then on they went back to the 2 same filters. I have a late 04 td42ti and it has 2 the same.

does anyone know what was the actual reasoning behind the two different filters?

Cuppa
28th November 2013, 07:36 PM
’06 TDi42 leaf cab chassis
2 x Z503 Ryco’s.

nissannewby
28th November 2013, 07:44 PM
does anyone know what was the actual reasoning behind the two different filters?

I don't. Possibly a filter change thing as one filter is on a bypass so if the first filter starts to clog then it bypasses through the second and oil is still filtered. I'm think it's just an adaptor and you can remove to then run 2 the same

Gary Vansleve
28th November 2013, 11:21 PM
Looks like I may have to find out the hard way darn. Will get off my fat arse and have a peek tomorrow. The front one on the engine has Z503 on it. The filters I bought are genuine with Japanese crap written on it but made in Thailand go figure.
The 230N1A has a wider thread opening then the other and weighs about twice as much and cost twice the amount than the other. It also looks different when looking down the opening with some sort of flow restricter. The other filter (43GOA)looks like a normal everyday one when looking down the opening.

Cuppa you say you have an 06 with the same filters which doesn't match with what the parts guy is saying me thinks something is amiss. I'd hate to drain the oil then find I need a different filter. Maybe I should take a punt and buy another 43GOA filter.

Nissannewby is your info spot on (No offence meant). When I think about it what you say makes sense. I can't see how could have diffent filters all over the place surely.

Regards

mudski
28th November 2013, 11:41 PM
Matt is never wrong mate. He knows his chit. Take his word. From memory the Ryco number were Z503, as NN has mentioned, and I think the other was a Z506. The early, early TD42's ran two Z115's. Before you do anything just screw the filters off and have a look at the threads to make sure.

Clunk
28th November 2013, 11:46 PM
One of the guys in my club has a GU ute and it uses 2 different filters, can't remember what year it is though bit I know it uses Ryco z503 and z416 (bypass)...... I know this because they're organising a bulk buy

mudski
28th November 2013, 11:50 PM
Yep Z416 is the other one....

MudRunnerTD
29th November 2013, 12:31 AM
I also have a Late 2004 TD42Ti and run a pair of filters the same.

MudRunnerTD
29th November 2013, 12:50 AM
some interesting details in the body of this listing

http://www.ebay.com.au-Lube-Bypass-Oil-Filter-Kit-Nissan-GU-Patrol-w-TD42T-4-2L-Turbo-Diesel- (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OFK6611-Lube-Bypass-Oil-Filter-Kit-Nissan-GU-Patrol-w-TD42T-4-2L-Turbo-Diesel-/390536277947?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aedc6afbb&_uhb=1)

I dont know why?? Mine is not like that. Neither of my TD42s have odd filters. I have certainly heard about them but dont know why sorry mate

Clunk
29th November 2013, 02:11 AM
some interesting details in the body of this listing

http://www.ebay.com.au-Lube-Bypass-Oil-Filter-Kit-Nissan-GU-Patrol-w-TD42T-4-2L-Turbo-Diesel- (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OFK6611-Lube-Bypass-Oil-Filter-Kit-Nissan-GU-Patrol-w-TD42T-4-2L-Turbo-Diesel-/390536277947?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aedc6afbb&_uhb=1)

I dont know why?? Mine is not like that. Neither of my TD42s have odd filters. I have certainly heard about them but dont know why sorry mate

so it would appear that its a bit of a lottery as to what filters or combinations of filter you may need to use

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 07:39 AM
I'd hate to drain the oil then find I need a different filter.

I was in the same situation for my first filter change. Living out in the bush, 30 Kms from town & not being able to identify the filters without first removing them, I opted to buy extra filters before removing the old ones. Good news is that if they are both the same they will both be Z503’s, & if different a Z503 & a Z416. As you already have one of each you only need to buy another Z503 (or Nissan equivalent) & you're covered. Your Nissan dealer should refund you for the Z416 equivalent if they were wrong about them being different. I'm not sure about the 'adaptor' but even if there is one the filters are so awkwardly placed as far as access goes, an adaptor would be a PIA to get at I reckon.

I will be surprised if you find you have two different filters. Let us know eh?

Cuppa

veesam
29th November 2013, 09:14 AM
I had a GQ 4.2 years ago, I replaced both filters with a "turbo" filter, basically it spins when the engine is running and any solids in the oil are collected on the inside of the canister. Then it's a matter of unscrewing the canister and scraping the crap out. Kept the oil very very clean. Mine was adapted from an old Scania V8 truck engine, but I hear that you can buy them for most motors now. I believe they are advertised in the 4X4 mags. Was expensive at the start, but when you consider that I got 1.4 m km out of it, without ever having to pull the motor apart of replace another oil filter again, it was money well spent!
As for two different filters, I'd suspect the reason would have something to do with filter elements having different micron measurements, with the first allowing greater sized particles to pass through and the second filter would catch them, I'd assume, to perhaps extend the filter servicing intervals. Just a guess though
Either way, good luck. Hope my input has helped in some way.

Clunk
29th November 2013, 10:27 AM
I was in the same situation for my first filter change. Living out in the bush, 30 Kms from town & not being able to identify the filters without first removing them, I opted to buy extra filters before removing the old ones. Good news is that if they are both the same they will both be Z503’s, & if different a Z503 & a Z416. As you already have one of each you only need to buy another Z503 (or Nissan equivalent) & you're covered. Your Nissan dealer should refund you for the Z416 equivalent if they were wrong about them being different. I'm not sure about the 'adaptor' but even if there is one the filters are so awkwardly placed as far as access goes, an adaptor would be a PIA to get at I reckon.

I will be surprised if you find you have two different filters. Let us know eh?

Cuppa

Not sure why you'd be surprised if they're different, seeing as we now know there are vehicles out there with different filters

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 11:47 AM
Not sure why you'd be surprised if they're different, seeing as we now know there are vehicles out there with different filters

Because it is my understanding that the two different oil filters were only fitted to earlier models than we are talking about here. See the note here at Patrolapart. http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/air-oil-fuel-filters/nissan-patrol-genuine-oil-filter-suit-td42-amp-2

Clunk
29th November 2013, 12:16 PM
Nevermind...

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 01:00 PM
Nevermind...

Huh? Why that response?
Bottom line is that I am not sure that we do now know there are vehicles of ’06 vintage out there with two different filters. The ebay link you provided says there is, the Patrolapart one says otherwise. One will be right & one wrong. As yet we have had no one here say that their post 2001 model TD42 has two different filters & all we can be sure of is that confusion & uncertainty reigns. I only made comment about my expectation in that light. I will stiil be surprised if an 06 model has the two different filters, but certainly make no suggestion that this is an impossibility. If the OP’s car takes two the same, uncertainty will remain, but if it takes two different we will all know that this possibility does exist for whatever reason. (Nissan couldn’t make up it’s mind?).

Cuppa

Clunk
29th November 2013, 01:08 PM
Huh? Why that response?
Bottom line is that I am not sure that we do now know there are vehicles of ’06 vintage out there with two different filters. The ebay link you provided says there is, the Patrolapart one says otherwise. One will be right & one wrong. As yet we have had no one here say that their post 2001 model TD42 has two different filters & all we can be sure of is that confusion & uncertainty reigns. I only made comment about my expectation in that light. I will stiil be surprised if an 06 model has the two different filters, but certainly make no suggestion that this is an impossibility. If the OP’s car takes two the same, uncertainty will remain, but if it takes two different we will all know that this possibility does exist for whatever reason. (Nissan couldn’t make up it’s mind?).

Cuppa

I said Nevermind because I just can't be bothered..... By the way, the club member I mentioned earlier has a 2004, so go figure

MudRunnerTD
29th November 2013, 01:08 PM
Because it is my understanding that the two different oil filters were only fitted to earlier models than we are talking about here. See the note here at Patrolapart. http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/air-oil-fuel-filters/nissan-patrol-genuine-oil-filter-suit-td42-amp-2

HI Cuppa,

Have a look at the ebay link i provided in post 14 of this thread, it clearly lists all models as having 2 different filters?? My 1992 Silver top TD42 has the same filters as my 2004 TD42Ti. go figure. i think the discussion here is that its a bit of a lottery and noone has come up with a reason to date as to why there appears to be no consistency or logic. The OP has a 2006 TD42Ti, why s that different to mine?

threedogs
29th November 2013, 01:37 PM
I'll try and get and answer tomorrow, from a Patrol "nut"
Why do some td42 have different oil filters is that the Question?
And what years?

Clunk
29th November 2013, 01:39 PM
HI Cuppa,

Have a look at the ebay link i provided in post 14 of this thread, it clearly lists all models as having 2 different filters?? My 1992 Silver top TD42 has the same filters as my 2004 TD42Ti. go figure. i think the discussion here is that its a bit of a lottery and noone has come up with a reason to date as to why there appears to be no consistency or logic. The OP has a 2006 TD42Ti, why s that different to mine?

And why would your 2004 td42ti be different to the club members 2004 td42ti?......... Maybe the engines were built for different countries but both ended up in Australia due to demand? Who knows

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 01:42 PM
Perhaps I should crawl back into my hole?
However now that we know that Clunk’s mate’s GU is a 2004 model with two different filters, that DOES throw the cat among the pigeons, & lottery seems like a good term to describe the situation.
Prior to MR’s last post above I wrote to both Wagga Tractors (MR’s link) & Patrolapart, asking both if they could shed any light on the situation. If I get any useful responses I’ll share them here.

Back into my hole for the time being
Cuppa

threedogs
29th November 2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah import sounds feasible, grey imports were big back around 04.
I'll ring shortly I want to know myself now.

Are both 04s wagons

Clunk
29th November 2013, 02:08 PM
Yeah import sounds feasible, grey imports were big back around 04.
I'll ring shortly I want to know myself now.

Are both 04s wagons

One wagon, one coily

Wizard52
29th November 2013, 02:10 PM
My 06 GUIV TDi ute has same 2 filters. By luck I still have 2 new genuine filters at home so will logon again tonight with part numbers.

I bought about a dozen at a good price before I moved up here but will be using Ryco in future so oil does not drain out of filters completely and then have very noisy rattle on start up.

Cervantes
29th November 2013, 03:35 PM
2001 coil/leaf TD42T Ute.

One Z503 and one Z416.

The research I've done indicates that early models were both the same and then for a short period around 2001 they used two different oil filters before reverting to two the same again.

Cheers

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 04:15 PM
My correspondence with Patrolapart

Technically the 2001 Model is the model that Has the different oil filter.
If your car has the original motor in it, you can provide me with your Vin Number and i can confirm what is has.

Thanks for your quick reply.

“Technically” eh? :)
I know that my vehicle a 2006 DX leaf cab chassis with original motor has two oil filters the same.
Another online forum member gave his Vin number for his 2006 Coil cab with original motor to his Nissan dealer & was told it would have two different oil filters.
This has resulted in discussion about whether it is basically a ‘lottery’ as to what was supplied with variations right across all year models, only being certain by checking VIN numbers.
Can you confirm whether this is so in Patrolapart’s experience?

No not in our experience, we get very few cars with the different filter.
And as far as i can remember they have always been around the 2001 era.

EDIT. I hope my assumption that the OP’s motor is the original one is correct!

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 04:21 PM
One wagon, one coily

If you haven’t called your mate yet, can you also check if it has the original motor when you do?

Clunk
29th November 2013, 05:02 PM
If you haven’t called your mate yet, can you also check if it has the original motor when you do?

He's confirmed definitely the original motor and definitely a 2004, so it would appear that the experts are also not sure...........

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 05:15 PM
He's confirmed definitely the original motor and definitely a 2004, so it would appear that the experts are also not sure...........

Yes, Patrolapart’s input left room for doubt. Do you know if any possibility the mate’s car was a grey import?

I also wrote to Nissan Australia on their pig awful web form - Very difficult to ask what you want in the max 250 characters allowed. Will be interesting what they say if they respond.

Hey Gary V, have you got to see your ’06’s filters yet?

Clunk
29th November 2013, 05:19 PM
No not a grey import either........ As far as he's aware

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 05:59 PM
Ryco Catalogue (“http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/application/make/NISSAN/model/PATROL/series/") has all GU TD42’s up until October ’04 with two different filters (May ’98 to October ’04) and ’04 onward (October ’04 to March ’07) as having two the same.

Hmmmm.

Wizard52
29th November 2013, 06:18 PM
Hi all

Hopefully I have attached the scanned copy of the genuine filter box.

Good luck working out what suits what but the 15208-43GOA is what Nissan used on mine under warranty and I have used up to now.

I use 2 of these

MudRunnerTD
29th November 2013, 06:36 PM
Well! all a bit of a mistery really. Illogical to boot. If Ryco dont know the answer what hope have any of us got!!

Clunk
29th November 2013, 06:39 PM
well I guess all thats left to us is the mighty Nissan service centre and vin numbers lol

Cuppa
29th November 2013, 09:05 PM
My Correspondence with Wagga Tractors (The link provided by MR)

Hi I wonder if you might reduce my confusion about oil filters for GU Patrols with the TD42 motors. Your ad here (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OFK6611-Lube-Bypass-Oil-Filter-Kit-Nissan-GU-Patrol-w-TD42T-4-2L-Turbo-Diesel-/390536277947?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item 5aedc6afbb&_uhb=1&clk_rvr_id=553771403844) suggests that any TD42T model up to 2007 can have two different oil filters, whereas this link http://www.patrolapart.com.au/product/air-oil-fuel-filters/nissan-patrol-genuine-oil-filter-suit-td42-amp-2
suggests only 2001 models had the two different oil filters, whilst the rest had two the same. I know my ’06 has both the same (Z503). Your ad is currently being used in an online forum discussion to suggest possibly that Nissan chopped & changed & what any GU Patrol fitted with a TD42T has is really a bit of a lottery.
Can you shed any light on this please?

The filter listings are a guide to selecting the correct filter - if the buyer has simular filters, FLK6612 is selected - if the buyer has different filters FLK6611 is selected - there is no attempt to say that filters were chopped and changed - the listing reflects exactly what I would say to a customer who presented at the counter and asked for filters for Nissan TD42T, are the filters the same or different? - that simple question prevents returns and swap overs, and that is my priority - cheers

So nothing conclusive there either.

Will now wait to see if Nissan Australia will clarify the situation for me.
Cuppa

Gary Vansleve
29th November 2013, 10:19 PM
Well i got off my butt and had a look both filters are Ryco Z503. Went to Super crap today and bought 2 of them . Had a look at the Ryco Catalogue they had there and it tells me the Z503's are good for 10/04 to 03/07. I compared the Ryco with the genuine ones and it appears the Ryco is the aftermarket one for Nissan part number15208-43GOA. I then high tailed to the local Nissan Dealer to see if they had anything to say. Got a different bloke who did the majic search using my vin no and he came up with the same result clearly showing two different filters with a schematic showing the different filters also.

He tells me the parts catalogue is genuine Nissan and couldn't come up with anything just a bit of head scratching. He asked if the motor was the original and when I told him yes he then asked if the filter housing had been altered I said not to my knowlege. I then mentioned what I had found searching the net and this forum. He agreed there was something amiss but that was as far as I got apart from getting my refund. I phoned the owner who I bought the truck from ( he is a Mechanic )and he confirmed he used Ryco Z503.

After all the mucking arround and reseach it has me intrigued why the 2 filters. The only thing I could come up with is the simple reason of just more filtration. I take it the TD42 is an indirect injection motor with the precups so these types of motors tend to foul the oil more so then direct injection motors hence the 2 filters and big sump capacity. I have a landcruiser background and have had the direct and indirect injection diesels to compare with. Correct me if Iam blowing smoke out of my arse.

Gee all I wanted to do is a simple oil change ya gotta laugh.

Regards Gary

Clunk
29th November 2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks for confirming that yours uses only one model of filter...... Clears up some confusion there i reckon lol

mojo53
5th September 2014, 07:25 PM
My 2006 TB42 has two of the same filters, Genuine Nissan Part Number 15208-43G0A and i was told some models have two different one's so as mentioned above i removed the old one's and took one in with me to make sure.

Scorpiovee
8th September 2014, 09:51 AM
Different parts = more coin you have to spend