PDA

View Full Version : Auto Locking Hubs on a 2.8 GU

sujay
28th November 2013, 11:46 AM
Hi guys, recently took out the vehicle to stockton beach.
Just when I engaged the 4H, there was a strange clunking/ticking sound from the front left, and it went off as soon as I put her back to 2H position.

Didnt seem to hinder performance of the vehicle in the sand, but the sound was definitely not a pleasant one!

After some research, I found out that my hubs are finding it difficult to lock themselves in, so I tried to manually lock them in place and the sound was still there!

Anyone had similar issues? Will a simple clean and repack of the hubs cure this problem?
FYI: when driving on road in 2H position, the car does seem to pull to the left a fair bit.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers
Sujay

Mattonpatrol
28th November 2013, 12:56 PM
Hi guys, recently took out the vehicle to stockton beach.
Just when I engaged the 4H, there was a strange clunking/ticking sound from the front left, and it went off as soon as I put her back to 2H position.

Didnt seem to hinder performance of the vehicle in the sand, but the sound was definitely not a pleasant one!

After some research, I found out that my hubs are finding it difficult to lock themselves in, so I tried to manually lock them in place and the sound was still there!

Anyone had similar issues? Will a simple clean and repack of the hubs cure this problem?
FYI: when driving on road in 2H position, the car does seem to pull to the left a fair bit.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers
Sujay

Yeah mate very common problem with the auto hubs on a patrol,, it's happend 2 times with me on 2 different patrols, I pulled them out cleaned them and re greased them and Dosent change a thing.... Only thing you can do is get a set a AVM hubs off ebay or from ARB....or any spare parts place that sells them..... You'll end up Turing your car into a manual locking Insted of auto locking... But they are much stronger..Then after that you'll have no problems ever again.... Chuck the old ones out :) just make sure you don't Ingage 4wd untill you replace them as you will wear the teeth on the end of your cv joints and you'll also be up for a set of cvs... Hahha anymore questions?

sujay
28th November 2013, 01:33 PM
Mattonpatrol, thanks mate! That put me straight onto the right path! hehe

Now comes the second question of installing them, is it an easy task?
Why I ask this is because im the biggest tool in my tool kit! hahahaha

Let me know mate.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AVM-Manual-Lock-Hubs-Nissan-GQ-GU-Patrol-Ford-Maverick-/170927120579

Are these the ones you are talking about?

Mattonpatrol
28th November 2013, 07:20 PM
Mattonpatrol, thanks mate! That put me straight onto the right path! hehe

Now comes the second question of installing them, is it an easy task?
Why I ask this is because im the biggest tool in my tool kit! hahahaha

Let me know mate.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AVM-Manual-Lock-Hubs-Nissan-GQ-GU-Patrol-Ford-Maverick-/170927120579

Are these the ones you are talking about?

Ahaha that's fair enough, all good that's what the forums all about.. look they are pretty basic to do, your just going to need a couple special tools to do so... You'll need some cur clip pliers and the special Allen key set that is in the shape of a star looking thing... I did them by myself first go, as long as you don't do up the 5mm bolts to tight as they snap easy, 5mm bolts only need to be nipped up... it should come with instructions in it which will help you a lot too... Worst case man take it down to any 4wd shop they chuck them in for yah... I work at mcathur4x4 in Minto if you ever want to swing past when you get them... Or if not inbox me your number mate I'm more than happy to assist yah..

sujay
28th November 2013, 10:42 PM
Haha alright mate, will do!

mudski
3rd December 2013, 08:49 PM
Either the hub is knackered or the CV is shot. You can convert the auto hubs so they are full manual and have no auto feature. Which I did to mine. Takes a whole stubbie a side to do. Well two for me, I'm a fast drinker.:)

Ahaha that's fair enough, all good that's what the forums all about.. look they are pretty basic to do, your just going to need a couple special tools to do so... You'll need some cur clip pliers and the special Allen key set that is in the shape of a star looking thing... I did them by myself first go, as long as you don't do up the 5mm bolts to tight as they snap easy, 5mm bolts only need to be nipped up... it should come with instructions in it which will help you a lot too... Worst case man take it down to any 4wd shop they chuck them in for yah... I work at mcathur4x4 in Minto if you ever want to swing past when you get them... Or if not inbox me your number mate I'm more than happy to assist yah..
You don't need circlip pliers to remove and refit. Unless your removing the shaft. You do need a T10 ( I think it is, or T15) Torx bit for the six outer screws and a allen key( 8mm I think it is) for the larger bolts on the inside.
Tip for when using AVM hubs. Those little screws on the outside, I'd recommend, applying some Neverseize around the tapered neck of the screw. I didn't and with all the fun in the mud I have had two screw would come out as the were jammed in. In the end I had to destroy the screws and I ended up busting the outer cap. Neverseize will be your friend on 4by's.

sujay
4th December 2013, 01:46 AM
mudski, haha ya mate fixing your rig or not, a drink is still important! lol
I will take note of the neverseize.

And yes I saw the post about converting the auto into manul hubs....lemme see what I settle on.

cheers mate