PDA

View Full Version : Thermo fan

dirtygu
27th November 2013, 11:10 AM
Hey everyone just wondering what would be the best size thermo fan to fun on a zd 30 as I wanna get away from the clutch style

mudski
28th November 2013, 08:39 PM
I have delved into this for the same reason. Get rid of the power sucking fan. But the OEM fan does the job really well of keeping the engine cool and I don't have enough coin to spend on thermo's just incase it turns to shit. Firstly you would need to know the CFM rate of the OEM fan. How and where to get that sort of info, beats me. So if you do get that info then you would have to buy a thermo, of the same or better flow rate. Ideally, you'd want to retain the fan shroud as this does a good job of sucking air through the radiator. You get rid of this and your fan has to work a lot harder to achieve the same thing. I was originally thinking two of the biggest thermo's I could fit and remove the shroud and have them independently run as I can't see one thermo doing the same as the OEM fan. But then, funds and time comes into to play and I don't have either. So it's on the back burner, indefinitely.
If you do attempt this. Let us all know the outcome. Would be very, very keen to know.

Rumcajs
29th November 2013, 09:44 PM
There is no thermo fan on the market with required flow. If you want serious air flow you need viscous fan.
This has been discussed on more hardcore forums "ad nauseam". You want the little ZD30 to cook than install thermo fans 2x.

Cheers

threedogs
30th November 2013, 07:00 AM
On most LS1 conversions I've seen they use the twin thermo fans
from an EA falcon, cheap as chips from the wreckers.
How much extra oopf you'd achieve makes me wonder if its worth while

nissannewby
30th November 2013, 08:43 AM
There is no thermo fan on the market with required flow. If you want serious air flow you need viscous fan.
This has been discussed on more hardcore forums "ad nauseam". You want the little ZD30 to cook than install thermo fans 2x.

Cheers

This is the case. An engine fan will always outflow an electric one. The only other way I have seen is hydraulically driven but this is still better than electric and mostly used on heavy industrial gear. Petrol guy might be able to get away with as materials aren't as heavy in the engines therefore the material won't hold onto the heat as well as heavy diesel internals and engines.

Stick with the viscous.

dirtygu
1st December 2013, 10:19 PM
Ok well I uave gone with the thermos I couldnt get a replacement fan shroud so thats why I went that way
I used twin 14inch fans been running them for the last 300km and wow they seam to b doing the job temp gets halfway and just sits there some times even drops just under so they seam to b doing the job just have to see how they hold up in the real hot weather

Rumcajs
1st December 2013, 10:32 PM
Ok well I uave gone with the thermos I couldnt get a replacement fan shroud so thats why I went that way
I used twin 14inch fans been running them for the last 300km and wow they seam to b doing the job temp gets halfway and just sits there some times even drops just under so they seam to b doing the job just have to see how they hold up in the real hot weather

Every ZD30 does the same whether it is on 65°C or 99°C. I hope you have other means to monitor actual coolant temperature as factory gauge is so unreliable. The hot weather will definitely expose the weakness in the airflow.

Cheers

nissannewby
1st December 2013, 10:55 PM
Which type did you go for? Push or pull?

dirtygu
1st December 2013, 11:58 PM
I got it set up as pull and im getting a water temp gauge installed soon to

nissannewby
2nd December 2013, 11:13 AM
That's the better way to go. Make sure all the foam/shroudings etc are all in place between condenser and rad, make sure that small bash plate is fitted and it should be ok.

Working on heavy transport trucks which run a clutch fan for above reasons it's easy to see why. The amount of air the displace is huge, you can feel the air at the back of the truck. I have seen how much power these fans use on a chassis dyno, it takes about 50hp. Where power and torque are paramount they still opt for a mechanical fan due to its flow capabilities. I'm not having a dig just providing an example. It will most likely be fine and as you know you still have the option to go back to the mechanical.

dirtygu
2nd December 2013, 03:08 PM
I would have stayed with the mechanical set up but was unable to get a fan shroud so had to get the thermos as I need the car on the road

NissanGQ4.2
2nd December 2013, 06:29 PM
I would have stayed with the mechanical set up but was unable to get a fan shroud so had to get the thermos as I need the car on the road

Do you have a shroud setup on the Thermo's????

Trust me, thermo's will make it overheat on a hot day, on hills and where there is lots of stop starts without a proper shroud setup and I mean a really good setup

dirtygu
2nd December 2013, 09:10 PM
I think some people are missing the point I would have stayed with the factory fan but I needed a new shroud I lost my old one and could not find one anywhere so had to go with the thermo but as soon as I find a shroud ill go back to the clutch type

mudski
9th December 2013, 07:45 PM
I hear ya dirty...I am keen to see the summer results of this. Do you notice any power and economy difference?