PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to externally identify if the front diff id LSD

Echotree
22nd November 2013, 07:02 AM
Is there a way to externally identify if the front diff id LSD? I was told by a mechanic who is into Patrols that it may have been, but have no knowledge in this area myself.

NissanGQ4.2
22nd November 2013, 07:13 PM
Hi mate,

I have copied your question out of your other thread post and put it on its own.

I have no idea other than it having an LSD sticker on it, but as? As I said in the other thread usually only the rears have LSD.

Maybe you have a factory locker in yours

Hopefully someone with more mechanical knowledge will be able 2 answer this for you.

Cheers

Toddie

Winnie
22nd November 2013, 07:14 PM
Unless it has been retrofitted, then no. Not an option with the Patrol mate.

04OFF
22nd November 2013, 08:30 PM
Lock your hubs in, jack up one front road wheel off the ground, if you can turn the road wheel thats in the air by hand, you don't have a LSD (or its completely stuffed)

Echotree
24th November 2013, 07:30 AM
Lock your hubs in, jack up one front road wheel off the ground, if you can turn the road wheel thats in the air by hand, you don't have a LSD (or its completely stuffed)

Thanks 04OFF, Will do!

Matt195583
1st December 2013, 01:57 AM
Also if you have both wheels off the ground with the hubs locked and spin one an lsd will spin the other in the same direction where an open center will spin the other wheel in the opposite direction.

Robo
4th December 2013, 09:18 AM
lsd on the front end would be a pain to drive around town, especially in the wet.

Winnie
4th December 2013, 10:39 AM
Why? Dunno about you but I drive in 2wd around town.

macca
4th December 2013, 10:47 AM
Winnie I think he means if the hubs are locked, you would not want auto hubs if it did have an LSD fitted

superzuki
4th December 2013, 11:02 PM
I have a front LSD in mine. I got it from the rear of a pathfinder. It is shimmed up really tight and keeps both fronts turning. Makes high speed dirt driving difficult so I just unlock the hubs

MudRunnerTD
4th December 2013, 11:27 PM
Is there a way to externally identify if the front diff id LSD? I was told by a mechanic who is into Patrols that it may have been, but have no knowledge in this area myself.

The Patrol has never come from the Factory with an LSD in the front so No would be the answer.

If you have an LSD in the front then the oly way that would be possible is as per Supersuki has stated and someone has installed a rear LSD out of a Pathfinder and it probably won't have a sticker on it.