PDA

View Full Version : Cargo barrier install question.

Hodge
21st November 2013, 04:48 PM
Has anybody here installed the genuine nissan (milford ) cargo barrier into a GU, and had issue with top plates not being flush with the mounting hole ?
Which ever way I swing those brackets, there is no way they will bend enough to sit flat. Both sides sit on an angle and don't allow the screw to completely do up.
Bottom mounting brackets aligned perfectly.

Hodge
21st November 2013, 04:50 PM
Picture 1 mor coming

Hodge
21st November 2013, 04:51 PM
And another pic

jack
21st November 2013, 05:29 PM
Hi Hodge,

I installed mine and don't recall having that issue, unfortunately I had to remove mine on the weekend to move some large items. If I replace it this evening I'll post up a picture, but not sure if I'll get it back in today.

my third 256
21st November 2013, 06:17 PM
i wonder if you have the wrong brackets

jack
21st November 2013, 06:40 PM
Hodge,
Just refitted mine and it's the same as yours. Never noticed it before and it came with the brackets attached.
Would like to see one that's been installed by Nissan.
Cheers

Hodge
21st November 2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the reply guys!!
My one was brand new and brackets were all attached. Googling some images proves brackets are correct type and fit flush, but not mine. I'm half considering taking the brackets off putting them into a vice and bending to suit. Barrier is in the car firmly, but I don't like the way the brackets sit. It's not meant to be.
All my fittings and holes were already in the car as, whoever had the car before me had the barrier at one point in time, but removed it.
Also apollo. The bottom mountings, there is long and short arms. Short arms attaching to the point where it was drilled but what about the long arms? Instructions mentioned nothing of them, so I just stowed them onto one another using those plastic bands wrapped around them.

jack
21st November 2013, 09:58 PM
Mine was band new as well. Sorry can't find the instructions but from memory the long arms were for mounting the barrier behind the front seats. I just removed them and stored them in the shed.

Hodge
22nd November 2013, 03:20 PM
Cheers mate. I got vice grips and a large shifter onto the brackets and bent to a flush level now it worked out. Had a look at work mates one this arvo and he said his ones were sweet out of the box.

Yes the long arms are for the barrier if fitted directly behind drivers seat you're right.

Hodge
22nd November 2013, 09:03 PM
Also, what is this crap about having to report the car to relevant authorities for being reduced to 5 seater instead of 7 once barrier is fitted ??
Is this just horse manure or is it fair dinkum? Never dealt with cargo barriers prior so I'm just wondering, as the label says so on the barrier its self.
What's the deal ?

Drewboyaus
22nd November 2013, 09:54 PM
I reckon it's crap. Probably something the poor buggers in Queensland have to deal with.
Apparently it de rates the carrying capacity of the vehicle, which seems like nonsense to me.

outback
23rd November 2013, 02:00 AM
This may help:
Temporary seat removal - Updated (http://www.anfwdc.asn.au/news.php?id=15)

But I would suggest a quiet enquiry of relevant body before doing too much

Hodge
23rd November 2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks fellas. My seats are removed and long gone , barrier fitted. Quick browse through vic roads site and some googling shows that deems the car unroadworthy. I'll have abother look when I'm more sober.

Drewboyaus
23rd November 2013, 08:00 AM
Thanks fellas. My seats are removed and long gone , barrier fitted. Quick browse through vic roads site and some googling shows that deems the car unroadworthy. I'll have abother look when I'm more sober.

That doesn't make sense. The third row seats are supposed to be removable (it's a feature of most vehicles) to facilitate more load carrying space.
I'll be very keen to know what you find out because I reckon there'll be thousands driving around in Prados, Patrols, Pajeros, Landcruisers, even Ford Territory's who have no idea their car is unroadworthy because they have taken the rear seats out.

Drewboyaus
23rd November 2013, 08:04 AM
This may help:
Temporary seat removal - Updated (http://www.anfwdc.asn.au/news.php?id=15)

But I would suggest a quiet enquiry of relevant body before doing too much

That link explains it nicely.
Thanks for that.

Hodge
23rd November 2013, 08:14 AM
Drew I think the keywords in there are permanent and temporary.
If you fit a cargo barrier and a set of draws , fridge etc... Is that considers as permanent ??

" Vehicles with the permanent removal of seating structures must be approved by an Approved Person and a Modification Plate must be fitted for the reduction in seating capacity. In this circumstance, any change in vehicle category must also be taken into consideration prior to the fitting of the Modification Plate."

NissanGQ4.2
23rd November 2013, 08:18 AM
Worth ringing VIC roads Hodge on this one, think its a grey area.

I'm sure here in NSW if its plated as a 7 seater it must have 7 seats in it to legally pass the pick slip for rego, and they can knock back rego if the seat is not there.

Hodge
23rd November 2013, 08:19 AM
But as you mentioned mate, it all seems to be qld related.

Drewboyaus
23rd November 2013, 10:25 AM
Drew I think the keywords in there are permanent and temporary.
If you fit a cargo barrier and a set of draws , fridge etc... Is that considers as permanent ??

" Vehicles with the permanent removal of seating structures must be approved by an Approved Person and a Modification Plate must be fitted for the reduction in seating capacity. In this circumstance, any change in vehicle category must also be taken into consideration prior to the fitting of the Modification Plate."

But if I have all the seats and belts and everything to put back in and I can take the cargo barrier out I would say its temporary.
I sort of understand the point that it no longer can seat seven (so no squashing 4 across the back seat and an extra in the front) but common sense ought to prevail.......you would think......"but officer, it's a seven seater" :-/

mudski
25th November 2013, 11:54 PM
Reading the above link in Victoria I think we are fine...
"The following comment has been provided by Vic Roads.

This issue has been blown out of all proportion. There is no reason seats that are designed to be removable cannot be removed. Doing this DOES NOT alter the seating CAPACITY of the vehicle. Seating capacity is defined by the Australian Design Rules as the maximum number of seating positions for which the vehicle is DESIGNED - ie not the number of seats actually fitted at any point in time.

The Vehicle Standards Instruction L 5.0 has been provided by Queensland Transport and is reproduced in part:
For vehicles fitted with quick release seating attachments as original equipment, temporary removal of the seats is acceptable. A Modification Plate does not need to be fitted. This is commonly the case for four wheel drives and people movers.
For vehicles fitted with bolt in seating structures, no approval by an Approved Person is necessary for the temporary removal of seats, provided the category of the vehicle does not change as a result of the seating reduction.
Vehicles with the permanent removal of seating structures must be approved by an Approved Person and a Modification Plate must be fitted for the reduction in seating capacity. In this circumstance, any change in vehicle category must also be taken into consideration prior to the fitting of the Modification Plate. The vehicle operator's insurance company and Queensland Transport should be advised of relative changes to the vehicle."

Never really thought about this TBH. My rear seats are lonnnnng gone.

NissanGQ4.2
26th November 2013, 06:38 AM
Reading the above link in Victoria I think we are fine...
"The following comment has been provided by Vic Roads.

This issue has been blown out of all proportion. There is no reason seats that are designed to be removable cannot be removed. Doing this DOES NOT alter the seating CAPACITY of the vehicle. Seating capacity is defined by the Australian Design Rules as the maximum number of seating positions for which the vehicle is DESIGNED - ie not the number of seats actually fitted at any point in time.

The Vehicle Standards Instruction L 5.0 has been provided by Queensland Transport and is reproduced in part:
For vehicles fitted with quick release seating attachments as original equipment, temporary removal of the seats is acceptable. A Modification Plate does not need to be fitted. This is commonly the case for four wheel drives and people movers.
For vehicles fitted with bolt in seating structures, no approval by an Approved Person is necessary for the temporary removal of seats, provided the category of the vehicle does not change as a result of the seating reduction.
Vehicles with the permanent removal of seating structures must be approved by an Approved Person and a Modification Plate must be fitted for the reduction in seating capacity. In this circumstance, any change in vehicle category must also be taken into consideration prior to the fitting of the Modification Plate. The vehicle operator's insurance company and Queensland Transport should be advised of relative changes to the vehicle."

Never really thought about this TBH. My rear seats are lonnnnng gone.

Yes I have also read that for VIC but its still a grey area, and that above in bold is the grey area. What do they define as permanent removal of seating structures?

liftlid
26th November 2013, 08:26 AM
I guess you would need to be able to prove you could put the seats and belts back in, I have been road worthyied on the side of the road and they didn't even look, if you needed a road worthy to sell or remove canary then you might need seats put back in.

mudski
26th November 2013, 05:21 PM
Maybe its something they don't know about? I got my Patrol roadied without the seats in.

Winnie
26th November 2013, 05:26 PM
Maybe its something they don't know about? I got my Patrol roadied without the seats in.

Same here, twice at two different places.

liftlid
26th November 2013, 05:30 PM
More like the bloke didn't realise it was a 7 seater.

mudski
26th November 2013, 11:36 PM
More like the bloke didn't realise it was a 7 seater.
Maybe, but I still have the seat belts hanging in the back. Yeah I'm lazy....

liftlid
27th November 2013, 08:56 AM
Maybe, but I still have the seat belts hanging in the back. Yeah I'm lazy....

You could argue that because the belts are still in the removal of the seats was not permanent, in any case the whole 5/7 seat notion is silly as draws can be easily removed if more seating is needed.

liftlid
10th December 2013, 02:35 PM
Just found on the VIC roads web site that you do not need an "approval certificate" if the number of original seating positions was less than 10

threedogs
10th December 2013, 03:08 PM
@ Mudski just un bolt the belts and poke them down that top slit in moulding.
PITB hanging there IMO