PDA

View Full Version : Stereo and speaker replacement

maestropc
20th November 2013, 12:46 AM
Hi All,

OK, I have read a number of posts on the forum but I still don't have a solid understanding of what is required. I have a new double din head unit and I have also purchased 4 x 6" pioneer speakers.

As for the head unit, I have found two obvious screws, see photo 1. After removing them, what happens then? I have tried to pry the sides away and I am very concerned that something is going to snap. For the record this is a 2006 Nissan Patrol ST. I think that when I have the panel off and have access to the radio I should be right, I know I need a diversity antenna and a nissan to iso connector harness. Can anyone tell me definitively what is supposed to get this thing off? I read that there is a slot for a flat head screw driver and you simply need to start from there and work your way around. There certainly isn't on mine and it does feel like it is going to break.

As for the door panel removal, same thing goes. I have managed to remove the only screw that I can see. According to what I have read the arm rest pops off and then everything else goes from there. Mine feels like there are bolts elsewhere that I need access to. Have attached a couple of pics of my door panel.

I am trying to watch the pennies here but if I need to head over to JBHIFI I will and have them install it I might consider that. I have done this in a Nissan Pulsar but this is nothing like that. Surely it shouldn't be that hard?

Anyway guys thanks heaps for any advise

Cheers

Fry
20th November 2013, 11:30 AM
See if this helps mate, I haven't tried it yet myself but will be at some stage.
Its from a different model but should help with removing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkrASNXI6o

oncedisturbed
20th November 2013, 11:38 AM
The fascia as you mentioned is held on by 2 screws, once undone start slowly prying it off from the bottom upwards with your fingers and it will pop out.

I didnt remove everything from the doors, just unclipped as much as I could and changed the speakers

Malgreen
20th November 2013, 11:46 AM
hey mate.. for the center console, its looks and sounds worse than it is.. and believe that once you done it it becomes not so scary for the next time..
so with mine, undo the 2 screws ( which you have done ) i found mine easy to pull ( gently ) for the bottom straight out until it un-clips. then just pull straight back ( towards yourself )
the pen holder on top comes out with the console. i crapped myself when the hole thing came out.. so be firm but gentle...
door handle- lift from the front, again be firm but gentle..

if i was home i would video it for you but i dont get home till tomorrow.. if you still unsure let me know and i will do it on vid and post..

hope this helps..

maestropc
20th November 2013, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have actually seen that video before, it's great but mine doesn't move anywhere like his does :) Malgreen, if you have a few minutes and can record that would be sensational. I am looking at the centre console to replace the head unit but also the removal of the door trim to get access to the speakers. What model is your Patrol?

Cheers

my third 256
21st November 2013, 11:01 AM
have a read of this thread it will help
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?18707-How-to-Remove-Stereo-Fascia-in-2007-GU

Evo
21st November 2013, 07:27 PM
@maestropc

Where abouts are you located?

Evo

Coldcomfort
21st November 2013, 07:47 PM
Its really easy to remove the center fascia. Just remove two screws and pull it off. Use that little dip in the top of the fascia panel as a grip. Give it a healthy tug and it will come away. I have just been down this path...... Also I think that you will need 6.5 inch speakers. Removing the door cards is also easy. Its described in the work shop manual that you will be able to down load once your post count is at the required number. Perhaps someone might email the relevant pages to you.??.... Another little tip.... If you use the ISO cable adapters wrap them in foam rubber sheeting. They are long and will rattle if you just stuff them behind the head unit without the foam sheeting. You can get this from clark rubber for a few cents. Hold it in place with plain old insulation tape...

Good luck with it.

maestropc
21st November 2013, 10:58 PM
Evo, Northern suburbs of Brisbane mate. Thanks for the recent replies, this morning I actually managed to give the arm rest a fair enough tug to get it off and voila, I think I am getting closer to getting the door trim off. I'll give the head unit a go bright and early so that I have time to get down to the car stereo place to get some ISO cables.

Cheers, will post update when I am done.

sil3nt_dr3ams
22nd November 2013, 07:34 AM
Guys a lot of this stuff isn't hard, All it is is time and patience to look over the entire panel and find the hidden screws. Stand back have a look at the entire assembly and picture it in layers, when it comes to popping off the plastic's don't use a screwdriver find yourself a couple of old ivory handle butter knives. The blades are dull enough not to scratch and flexible to fit in under the plastic clips. Use two together one side by side slowly levering slipping the blade in deeper while moving across when it stops move the other forward and start getting under the next clip. You'll only start breaking shit when your rushing or trying to make it unclip.

I've never touched a GU door before but by the look of it I would start with arm rest part because it looks like it overclocks the part you put your fingers in to close the door. Inside the part you put your fingers to pull door shut there is probably a screw find that then then that part with all the controls should un clip exposing the wiring loom which should unplug.

Then look behind the inner door handle should be a screw there, inside the bottom door pockets maybe a screw there. To get the door card off slide a knife in between the panel and the card it self slide it to you hit something hard and wiggle the blade till drops 4-5mm into the clip itself and give it a nice twist follow right around.

Look just be gentle, if this fails go find an auto sparky ask him what beer he drinks return with a carton and ask him how to remove all the parts you want. If he cant remove all the door trims and parts you you need to expose the head unit in 10 minutes there is something wrong. I can strip and entire GQ interior in 20 minutes including unbolting the seats door trims.

Evo
22nd November 2013, 02:02 PM
Evo, Northern suburbs of Brisbane mate. Thanks for the recent replies, this morning I actually managed to give the arm rest a fair enough tug to get it off and voila, I think I am getting closer to getting the door trim off. I'll give the head unit a go bright and early so that I have time to get down to the car stereo place to get some ISO cables.

Cheers, will post update when I am done.

Haha, bit far to give you a hand.
Good luck with it.

Evo

ben 4.2td
23rd November 2013, 10:33 AM
Hi I was wondering what type head unit you brought, as I am currently looking for one at the moment. I brought two 9.1 inch rear headrest in black leather, but didn't realise that I needed headunit to run it. Thought they had in built dvd players. Have been a bit scared to pull old unit out as plastics always break on me, so I will be interested and see how you go with yours.

ben 4.2td
23rd November 2013, 10:39 AM
I have been looking for awhile a TUNEZ Nissan patrol gps dvd reverse camera looks awesome, don't want digital tv though.

maestropc
24th November 2013, 11:35 PM
Hi I was wondering what type head unit you brought, as I am currently looking for one at the moment. I brought two 9.1 inch rear headrest in black leather, but didn't realise that I needed headunit to run it. Thought they had in built dvd players. Have been a bit scared to pull old unit out as plastics always break on me, so I will be interested and see how you go with yours.

Hi mate,

I bought a Sony double din stereo from JBHIFI as it was on special and has good reviews. I decided not to go for a multimedia unit although I did ensure that I got bluetooth as that was the main reason. I am happy to announce that I managed to get the centre console panel out and ultimately swapped the stereo so I am quite chuffed with myself :) went to a local car audio shop and bought the required harnesses and also the diversity lead and all is working well.

One thing I will say though is that there is a silly looking gap on top of the stereo, yes I am aware that they give you a blanking card for this purpose with the Sony unit but it doesn't fit out of the box. So, once I have some more free time I will be cutting that to make it suit. Also, I will be looking where is the best place (and how to do it) for the bluetooth microphone.

Now for the bad news. The door trim is a whole different story, sure everyone has done it hundreds of times but mine didn't go well. I spent ages trying to pop those little pink clips and couldn't manage to get one out so I gave up. I will add that on this site there is some great information that helped me no end in getting the arm rest out etc and also the window switches. But I just couldn't work those clips out. I was being ever so careful and I still managed to crack one of the bits of the plastic on the trim. I figured I was bleeding time so I have booked the car in to have someone else do the speakers for me. At least I got the stereo done :)

Many thanks for all the info guys and if anyone needs any more info from my limited experience please let me know.

Cheers