PDA

View Full Version : Solar panel system for domestic use.

MEGOMONSTER
19th November 2013, 09:08 PM
Just wondering who has got solar panels system on their house.
How many panels as well as wattage.
How big inverter.
Rough cost for your house.
Is there a noticeable saving once panels go in or is it all a sales pitch.
Yes you would get saving but probably not as much as they state.
My in laws are getting some quoted up and are asking me a million question but I haven't a clue.
Have never really researched it.

So I was hoping there's a solar panel system guy on the forum that may clear the air with some honest, non sales pitch, type description and answers for the every day Joe Blow. And is it really worth the money.
From what I can see, you need to spend big to gain big saving.

Stropp
19th November 2013, 09:33 PM
Mego, go the 5kw system if they want to save real money, I'm not sure what the go is in Vic but I have a2 kW and I do notice it but I still pay, my feed in tariff is 43 cents, this has since gone down over here for new systems. The 5kw over here one of my mates just got one for $4999 installed which is very well priced and he will save quite a bit even with the lower tariff.

SonOf
19th November 2013, 09:38 PM
Have a 5kw system 20 x panels. Cost was $10k from Energy Matters.
DO NOT go with International Solar Systems or True Value Solar, suggest you jump onto Whirlpool forums to read up on the cr@p installers but can definitely say the 2 I note are not to be used.

You may need council approval, depending on your council. I don't know what the FIT is in VIC but I get 27c per KWH which on my usage means I am always in credit, even here in far south Tassie.

Also look out for the ones that say you get a 5kw upgradable inverter with 6 panels giving only say 2kw. It is not always a matter just bolting on new panels.

NissanGQ4.2
19th November 2013, 09:52 PM
Yes you need to spend $$$$$$$$$ to save $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$4

We have 8 panels and a 1.5kw inverter pretty sure it was around the 3g mark which was a bit dearer than some of the other mobs out there. I will have 2 dig the paperwork out 2 tell you wattage of panels

They won't make any money out of it, the buyback scheme has ended and you get next to nothing for putting back in the grid. Its all about getting a lower power bill

Depending on what size system they get determines how much they will save on the bill but initial outlay is also a lot dearer.

The sales guy I dealt with said we wouldn't need a bigger system than the 1.5kw, I regret not getting more panels and a 5kw inverter as he had the money at the time 2 get it.

megatexture
19th November 2013, 09:54 PM
My parents got a 3kw system installed recently and in December next year it will be paid off in full.
this last power bill was the first bill with the full duration with the solar installed And They are owed $8! so once the solar is paid off they basically won't have a bill. That's well worth it IMO

93patrol
19th November 2013, 09:55 PM
Use the bulk of your power during the day whilst your panels are drawing from the sun as you can't store the energy.

Eg swimming pool pumps

megatexture
19th November 2013, 09:57 PM
My parents power going into the grid is bought at a higher price then what They buy it back at so use more power at night and let it go into the grid and buy it back cheaper at night

ova50
20th November 2013, 01:04 AM
I believe different states and power companies have different amounts and how they credit you and different charges. Peak, etc.

We had 1.5kw put in three years back (the inverter is a 3kw, so more panels can be added), at the time we were selling power to them for 68cents a kw and buying it back for 17.5c. Now we sell it 60c and buy back at about 24c, no matter what time of day. We make a few hundred over the year after we pay the bills. Yet a friend who lives a couple of suburbs away, has a 2kw system. he sells it for 58c but he is on three different rates over a 24hour period. On the night peak, he is buying it back at about 41c a kw. He doesnt make money. He still has bills.
Best to check with the power supply companies on what they offer.
Regards
Daryl

Clunk
20th November 2013, 03:11 AM
We've got a 2.2 kW system, which is 8 panels with a 3kw inverter and got it done before the rebates got axed and by back tariffs decreased. So we gave a feed in tariff of 47c and we pay 23c per kW used. For a family of five we currently save anywhere between a 1/4 to 1/2 off our power bill sometimes a little more. Also wish we went for a 5kw system but got what we could afford at the time and because we managed to get the FIT locked in for 10 years, it means we're unable to upgrade the system until that runs out, which will be in around 7 years. After rebate we paid approx 2k for our system but normal price was 3k.
Each state us different when it comes to cost per kW and FIT so you'll need to check that out. I would any steer clear of the variable rates for buying electricity as it doesn't always work out in favour of the user, unless you can micro manage when you use your energy...... You really need to sit down and do your maths.
Have to cut this short as my phone battery is about to die

BigRAWesty
20th November 2013, 06:03 AM
We seriously looked into solar, but the only systems I worked on were 4.5 and 5kw.
Now I worked on the same principle as many do with the petrol v diesel debate.
Was going to cost us $10thou installed for a 5kWh system, with no guarantees of making much more than half our bills back..
So not only would we be repaying the panels we would still be paying electricity.
As we don't plan on staying in this house forever.
So in the end we decided to keep our 10thou as that buys a lot of power..

Something for your old's to think about. How long are they staying seated for??

SonOf
20th November 2013, 07:23 AM
Need to also take into account that currently there are moves my some distribution companies to try and make people who have solar pay a higher network cost.
Their argument is that people with grid connect solar are making prices higher for everyone else so need to pay mo I am not going to get into this here, suffice to say I work in the industry and their argument is rather flawede.

Westy is right though, check what the FIT is in their area and also what their usage is now via their last couple of bills. This should help calculate what system will be best.

Anything under 20c per kwh will mean they will most likely pay a bill still but it will be very small.

megatexture
20th November 2013, 06:26 PM
I'd love to have a battery bank and be off the grid like my wife's uncle no power or water bills for him .

Stropp
20th November 2013, 06:34 PM
I'd love to have a battery bank and be off the grid like my wife's uncle no power or water bills for him .

over here they still send you a bill if the power and water are available at your house, bloody greedy govt bodies.

megatexture
20th November 2013, 06:47 PM
Yea I thought they would but could only be at a minimal cost surely

MEGOMONSTER
20th November 2013, 07:35 PM
My in laws reckon the unit and panels will produce 12/13 kWh and they use on average 8/9 kWh.
I think they have been quoted $4990 for a 3kW inverter with 12 x 250 watt panels.

Bensmooth10
20th November 2013, 08:16 PM
Also depends on your long term intentions for the house and if you will stay or move on in the future.
I would be interested to know how much value a system would add to the value of your property.

MEGOMONSTER
20th November 2013, 08:20 PM
I would be interested to know how much value a system would add to the value of your property.

Probably nothing more than a selling point.

BigRAWesty
20th November 2013, 08:23 PM
over here they still send you a bill if the power and water are available at your house, bloody greedy govt bodies.

Yea I thought they would but could only be at a minimal cost surely

If you have anything conected to they charge you.
You need to be physically disconnected from the grids..

mudski
20th November 2013, 10:49 PM
There is a formula where you can work out what size you need. Can't find it or remember it though. We have a 2kw system and we needed a minimum of 3.63kw to totally cover our bills. If I were to do it again, I would go no smaller than 5kw I reckon. On a $350 bill there ends up being around $200-$250 to pay so its helping.

Stropp
21st November 2013, 12:13 AM
If you have anything conected to they charge you.
You need to be physically disconnected from the grids..

Not here you don't, if it runs past the property you get charged!

BigRAWesty
21st November 2013, 05:16 AM
Not here you don't, if it runs past the property you get charged!

:eek: Geeze. Tough

NissanGQ4.2
21st November 2013, 05:36 AM
:eek: Geeze. Tough

You will probable find its in all states Kallen, Same as Stropp here in NSW.

Regardless if you are disconnected from electricity or water you will still get slugged with a fee for having it run past your property

BigRAWesty
21st November 2013, 06:34 AM
You will probable find its in all states Kallen, Same as Stropp here in NSW.

Regardless if you are disconnected from electricity or water you will still get slugged with a fee for having it run past your property

What BS. I guess it's all the taxes and what not they would miss on.

SonOf
21st November 2013, 09:38 AM
What BS. I guess it's all the taxes and what not they would miss on.

I know it used ot be that way with water, sewer & garbage as we used to have a block of land near Forster on the NSW norht coast and have those in our rates, though none were connected. The electricity one is new. Wonder howmit is for rural blocks as an electricity Co will not run power to you house after the first 20 meters without you paying one hell of a price. I am going to look into the connection rules when I get back to work and see what it is here.

The way the regulatory system works at present is thatpretty much everything we do the customer pays for in their power bill, hence distribution makes up for over 50% of you bill. On top of that if we lose say a building bue to fire we can request a special exemtion and claim that cost to, so yeah you pay to rebuild it. I don't know how it got through with hardly any coverage but with the big legal cases against SP Ausnet in VIC over the black Saturday fires, it was noted that should they have to pay out more than their insurance covers they may be able to claim that expense through the AERas well so, yup you guessed it, we pay them through our bills. Tel me that is right.

SonOf
26th November 2013, 12:30 PM
Had a little more look into this and found that if you buy your power from a private power company and disconnect wholly from the grid you cannot get charged for a network cost. The reason water & sewer can be is that the infrastructure is still technically owned by local councils so they have it as part of the rates.

I would be very interested in hearing more from those who say they are still being slugged with a network cost after disconnection as if it is a private company, legally they are sitting in murky waters. Also if you have totally disconnected, which basically means ceased doing any business with your provider, who is billing you?

I know here if you totally disconnect from the grid, that is it, no more power bill.

Anyway look forward to seeing the replies

Stropp
27th November 2013, 12:47 AM
Wa is still state gov owned and there is the problem, the only time they will disconnect you is by defaulting on the bill then you get a bad credit rating!

SonOf
27th November 2013, 08:20 AM
Ok, Govt owned so they can, good that we dont here in TAS. So if you tell them you are moving out what then? Thry would have to do some sort of disconnect?

liftlid
27th November 2013, 08:37 AM
In VIC you will not be charged network fees if you do not have a power account, where I live we have a septic tank so we are not charged sewer fees on our water bill

MEGOMONSTER
11th December 2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks to everyone who commented.
My in laws have purchased a 3kw inverter with 12 x 250watt panels for (I think they said) 4 grand. From I don't know who, a name I have not heard before, but their wog friends have the same systems, so wogs being wogs they follow someone else's advise.

MEGOMONSTER
4th April 2014, 11:45 PM
I'm still having nightmares with the Inlaws about the solar system they have installed and their current power company not connecting right. Then botching up the bill. Then not paying the buyback tariff. Then giving them a $600 bill.

mudski
7th April 2014, 09:03 PM
I'm still having nightmares with the Inlaws about the solar system they have installed and their current power company not connecting right. Then botching up the bill. Then not paying the buyback tariff. Then giving them a $600 bill.

That comes standard with just about any solar install. Who is their electricity supplier?

MEGOMONSTER
7th April 2014, 11:48 PM
That comes standard with just about any solar install. Who is their electricity supplier?

Dodo I think, they're now telling that they'll handle it

mudski
8th April 2014, 12:34 AM
You have to be firm with them. I recorded all my input and output and they had it all wrong and I questioned their accuracy. I ended up getting a refund in my next bill for their eff up.

NissanGQ4.2
8th April 2014, 06:54 PM
You have to be firm with them. I recorded all my input and output and they had it all wrong and I questioned their accuracy. I ended up getting a refund in my next bill for their eff up.

Do you manually record it each day or do you have yours connected to your computer??

AB
8th April 2014, 07:09 PM
In VIC you will not be charged network fees if you do not have a power account, where I live we have a septic tank so we are not charged sewer fees on our water bill

I get a water bill each quarter yet we have tanks and no mains. I believe it's fees for the road waterway management which is funny because the only people who look after our road are the people who live on it???

Mego make sure you check your local council on max panels.

My neighbour just put a 5kw system in and had to remove 2 panels as the local max is 4.8.

Not sure why you would cap that, green love has a limit apparently???

NissanGQ4.2
8th April 2014, 07:21 PM
My neighbour just put a 5kw system in and had to remove 2 panels as the local max is 4.8.

Not sure why you would cap that, being self sufficient and green love has a limit apparently???

Green love only has a limit because the government has not worked out a tax for owning one yet. I'm sure the day will come

Imagine if all domestic houses and lets say for argument sake 40% of bushiness went self sufficient............. Power supply companies will go broke.