PDA

View Full Version : Turbo timer

benny79
19th November 2013, 08:39 PM
I've got a 2012 3ltr patrol and am wondering if I should fit a turbo timer. The dealer reckons I won't need one on a modern engine but I'm not sure whether to believe him.

Warwick89
19th November 2013, 08:45 PM
It's not really necessary from what I've read just don't turn it of for a minute after a long drive on the hwy. I am thinking of one though because the missus turns it off straight away, her excuse is that she forgets lol. Someone I that correct me though, just my opinion

BigRAWesty
19th November 2013, 08:54 PM
I've been told not needed to mush on Stock engines. More ya high end setups which need ttime for the turbo to settle and cool a little.
I don't think any damage can be done in fitting one anyway..

Winnie
19th November 2013, 09:02 PM
When your motor stops, it stops feeding oil and water to the turbo. The turbo is very hot after driving. I just wait until my EGT is below 150 before I turn mine off always.

Ben-e-boy
19th November 2013, 09:07 PM
When your motor stops, it stops feeding oil and water to the turbo. The turbo is very hot after driving. I just wait until my EGT is below 150 before I turn mine off always.

Look at you go you helpfull little so and so

kind
19th November 2013, 09:42 PM
There are some down sides to them like if you leave your car in gear like I do you have to wait for it to turn off so either wait your waiting a min or to anyways I I got one and makes it easier if im in a rush to just jump out and it can cool off on its own

kevin07
20th November 2013, 12:48 AM
I have a bogard timer on mine but take into consideration what winnie said about the oil not being fed so mine is set at 30 seconds a minute is max so i go off my egt gauge which you will need. if i have have high egts ill sit and idle it down with a rev here and there to pump the oil or if i pull up and my egts are not high i let the timer do its job.kev

happygu
20th November 2013, 07:57 AM
You don't need one....

I have run 3 Litre Patrols for the last 12 years, and have never used a Turbo timer on any of them, and they have all been OK, including the ones that weren't water cooled Turbo's.

My old 2003 model is still owned by a customer of mine and has now done over 270,000 Klms.

Just take it easy for the last 30 Seconds before you are going to switch it off, coast a little if you know you are stopping straight after coming off the freeway, and then just let it idle for 30 Seconds before switch off, and you will have no troubles.

Mic

Drew
20th November 2013, 12:51 PM
I had one on my D22 Navara and let it cool down for a minute. I've not bothered with Paddy, before I put the EGT gauge in I just took it easy for the last Km or 2 and let it idle while I was getting out of the car etc and turned it off as the last thing. Now with the gauge I take it easy like before and let it get to 200C then shut down. Blocking the EGR helped as it cools faster now.

Biggie was getting straight of the freeway to stop for fuel. :(