PDA

View Full Version : 197 dents and counting!

trekster
19th November 2013, 08:13 PM
Hi all!

Got out there tonight and marked most of the dents on the bonnet and tops of the guards and the piece where the wipers are, Got to 197 :( and I'm pretty sure there are others I missed! A big fat 0 on the bonnet scoop though!!!! Tough as nails those things hahahaha..

Anyways, Can't wait to have a look on the roof at the amount up there! :1087:

Ciao,
Eric.

megatexture
19th November 2013, 08:15 PM
Shame you didn't have a roof rack up top to offer some protection.

trekster
19th November 2013, 08:18 PM
Shame you didn't have a roof rack up top to offer some protection.

Can't believe it mate, I have a dent on the lip of the guard where it goes down the gap between the guard and the bonnet, Like right on the edge! Where I thought it would be super strong! Guess its not match for mother nature!

NissanGQ4.2
19th November 2013, 08:18 PM
Bummer :(

Was just speaking to my dad and my Aunt and Uncles car has been damaged just as bad by the sounds off it, they are in Coffs as well ( Sawtell )

megatexture
19th November 2013, 08:22 PM
Can't believe it mate, I have a dent on the lip of the guard where it goes down the gap between the guard and the bonnet, Like right on the edge! Where I thought it would be super strong! Guess its not match for mother nature!

How are the windows ? With that sort of hits you would expect them to be busted

Hodge
19th November 2013, 08:33 PM

You'll find that most hail-stones just glance off the windows, considering what angle their on...
Christmas 2010 from memory, we had a huge hailstone here in Melbourne. Ours and neighbours driveway has a bit of an incline, so when car is parked facing the house, it points upwards. This makes the windscreen almost level with the sky, as was the case with their camry. You'd think considering the size of stones that hammered down, windscreen would have smashed at that angle? But no, their roof, bonnet, boot were completely obliterated, windscreen had about 50kg of hail sitting on it after storm went through, but amazingly it held !!

Shame about your car trek. Hope the insurance looks after you mate.

trekster
19th November 2013, 08:39 PM
Bummer :(

Was just speaking to my dad and my Aunt and Uncles car has been damages just as bad by the sounds off it, they are in Coffs as well ( Sawtell )

I would believe that mate, Sawtell is directly 1.5/2km east of where I am.

trekster
19th November 2013, 08:50 PM

Windows are fine, I was driving as they changed from marble size to golf ball size, so I pulled over into a community centre but there were already cars under the shelter there, So we just had to sit in the carpark... There were some trees above us but they didn't provide much protection, very glad I didn't lose any glass as I had both kids in the car at the time too!.

Cheers,
Eric.

Stropp
19th November 2013, 09:37 PM
Bummer mate, insurance will cover it but they may just write it off so be prepared.

trekster
19th November 2013, 09:42 PM
Bummer mate, insurance will cover it but they may just write it off so be prepared.

I'm hoping for a payout and to buy the car back...

Drewboyaus
19th November 2013, 10:16 PM
You'll find that most hail-stones just glance off the windows, considering what angle their on...
Christmas 2010 from memory, we had a huge hailstone here in Melbourne. Ours and neighbours driveway has a bit of an incline, so when car is parked facing the house, it points upwards. This makes the windscreen almost level with the sky, as was the case with their camry. You'd think considering the size of stones that hammered down, windscreen would have smashed at that angle? But no, their roof, bonnet, boot were completely obliterated, windscreen had about 50kg of hail sitting on it after storm went through, but amazingly it held !!

Shame about your car trek. Hope the insurance looks after you mate.

A cars windscreen is MUCH stronger from the outside. You actually need to be a bit careful when inside the car that you don't whack the windscreen too hard otherwise you will shatter it. You could do it with a bare hand.
They are designed to be very strong in one direction.

megatexture
19th November 2013, 11:38 PM
yep I found that out when i taped the glass with my knuckle to get my missus attention when she was at the bullbar and shattered the window ... she didn’t even hear the knock

NP99
20th November 2013, 01:02 AM
That's the reason you don't buy the wife a big diamond ring :)

megatexture
20th November 2013, 01:03 AM
That and the scratches under the door handles

trekster
22nd November 2013, 08:14 PM
Hey guys, Had the car assessed today, It's been written off.. I got it back, only cost me $2200 so I'm happy with that.

Once I get the payout its time to shop for a 2" lift, bullbar and fridge/freezer :)

So a happy ending to a shite situation I guess!

Cheers,
Eric.

93patrol
22nd November 2013, 08:19 PM
No that is written off you'll only be able insure it as 3 rd party. I don't even think you can get fire and theft.

I did the same with a motorbike. Repairable write off is what they called it

trekster
22nd November 2013, 08:36 PM
No that is written off you'll only be able insure it as 3 rd party. I don't even think you can get fire and theft.

I did the same with a motorbike. Repairable write off is what they called it

The assessor who works for suncorp told me that you can get fire and theft, I have to ring them up and sort it out. I know only 3rd party but now I don't have to worry in carpark or when I go bush!

Cheers,
Eric.

93patrol
22nd November 2013, 09:03 PM
Goodoh now you can bash through the bush like me and not worry

trekster
23rd November 2013, 02:32 PM

That's the plan, after some additions of course!!!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

lhurley
23rd November 2013, 02:47 PM
The assessor who works for suncorp told me that you can get fire and theft, I have to ring them up and sort it out. I know only 3rd party but now I don't have to worry in carpark or when I go bush!

Cheers,
Eric.

I heard that to re register a repairable write off, the damage needs to be fixed. Not sure if thats right but something to look into

93patrol
23rd November 2013, 02:52 PM
It will have to go over the pits and any safety items will need to be fixed but if it's hail damage it will go through no dramas. But if there's bad panel damage then it's a problem

trekster
24th November 2013, 07:31 AM
Apparently the rules have changed and that is only the case where a car has been involved in a collision or major damage, from what I've been told hail damage doesn't require this anymore, it's not recorded as a write off on the register, so basically everything from now continues as normal but I will need to change my insurance to 3rd party.

Cheers,
Eric.

TPC
24th November 2013, 08:07 AM

That's the plan, after some additions of course!!!

Cheers.

You will be able to treat it like a crappy old GQ but will still have the comfort of the GU, best of both worlds.

MudRunnerTD
24th November 2013, 08:49 AM
My GQ was a repairable write off when I drowned it 8 years ago above the roof. I drove it home and had it assessed. No dents at all but lots of other trouble. Bought it back and sorted everything out and re registered it.

It was insured with AAMI who would not reinsure the car but I have had no trouble insuring it for comprehensive insurance with any other companies. Shop around.

Much damage on the roof Trekster? New bonnet, new quarter panels drive away.

trekster
24th November 2013, 07:58 PM
Much damage on the roof Trekster? New bonnet, new quarter panels drive away.

Not worth the effort mate, I've got approval to spend some of the fund on bullbar/lift kit and a fridge freezer ;)

Who cares about the dents now hahaha, It may be just high enough that the average person won't be able to see them :D :D :D

Cheers,
Eric.

*edit* And if I can swing this 2nd hand 3" lift, I might just be able to get that 3" exhaust I've wanted! ;)

kind
24th November 2013, 09:09 PM
It will still go on the WOVR reports and you will need to pass a new road worthy so pass that first get it re-rego then start the mods :)

trekster
24th November 2013, 09:11 PM
Hail damage apparently doesn't go onto the register anymore, so I've been told by several insurance people.

trekster
24th November 2013, 09:21 PM
from the RMS

lhurley
24th November 2013, 09:52 PM
this is handy info as mine got hit again today, pretty bad this time. going to get it looked at tomorrow