PDA

View Full Version : Tow capacity ST wagon with Chevy 6.5L

Patrolled
17th November 2013, 11:36 PM
Hi all

I am raising the spectre of tow capacity again, but from a different point of view.

My GU VI 2008 ST wagon had a ZD30 to start with.

It has a 3500 kg Nissan towbar.

From memory the manual says the tow capacity is 3500 kg for the wagon, except where the motor is ZD30 manual gearbox where it is 3200 kg, or ZD30 Auto, when it is 2500 kg.
This means the 4.8 petrol and 4.2 TD can tow 3500 kg.

I understand the chassis, drive shafts, brakes etc are all the same.

My question is this:
If it now has a 6.5 Chevy V8 in there, does this mean I can legally tow 3500 kg?

If not, how would it be different if one were to transplant the Chevy V8 6.5L into a petrol 4.8 to start with, or 4.2 TD to start with?

Are there any other factors at play here?

Interested in other’s thoughts?

Regards

Chris

Evo
18th November 2013, 03:33 AM
I'm guessing that it's all engineered?
If that's the case, the towing capacity relating to the original power plant would be null and void.
The capacity should reflect towing compared to the closest factory variant (4.8/4.2TD) so you should be fine with the rated towbar, etc. to take up to max capacity stated.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Evo

BigRAWesty
18th November 2013, 06:14 AM
I think it's got to do with engine braking.
I would think You would have to have it tested and plated to up it from the current to Max.
So I might be worth it to swap it again $$$ wise.

Chimo
18th November 2013, 09:17 AM
Slightly different tack. How is it that a TD4.2 GU can tow 3500 where as a GQ TD4.2 can tow 2500? As JSM used to say "Why is it so?" Is it the car in total and not just the motor?

Cheers
Chimo

BigRAWesty
18th November 2013, 09:27 AM
Slightly different tack. How is it that a TD4.2 GU can tow 3500 where as a GQ TD4.2 can tow 2500? As JSM used to say "Why is it so?" Is it the car in total and not just the motor?

Cheers
Chimo

Better brake setup, abs, traction control.. All adds up..

Patrolled
18th November 2013, 11:29 AM
Evo, hi and thanks

Yes fully engineered, new VIN plate etc also GVM upgrade ( allthoughthat is a different matter).
That would be my interpretation too.

But for legal and insurance purposes how can i be sure i am OK to tow up to 3.5 ton?

It seems to be abit of a grey area.

Chris

Patrolled
18th November 2013, 11:38 AM
Hi Westy's

I like that, engine braking could be one factor
There is heaps of engine braking with the new motor so that's OK from my point of view

Of course towing over 750 kg we use electric brakes too.
Its always a question of what the so called 'authorities' think.

Cheers
Chris

BigRAWesty
18th November 2013, 01:43 PM
Hi Westy's

I like that, engine braking could be one factor
There is heaps of engine braking with the new motor so that's OK from my point of view

Of course towing over 750 kg we use electric brakes too.
Its always a question of what the so called 'authorities' think.

Cheers
Chris

Yea personally I'd play it safe..
Speak to your engineer and if he says yay then get it in writing and sticking with the cert papers.. That way if RTA pull you over a question the rating your engineer has passed it and Its certified..

Evo
18th November 2013, 02:52 PM
Evo, hi and thanks

Yes fully engineered, new VIN plate etc also GVM upgrade ( allthoughthat is a different matter).
That would be my interpretation too.

But for legal and insurance purposes how can i be sure i am OK to tow up to 3.5 ton?

It seems to be abit of a grey area.

Chris

As far as I was aware, from a manufacturers/transport view, towing capacities were based on vehicle GVM.
So as a minimum, use a ratio to calculate the new capacity from the new GVM, ring the transport authority, ask the question.
And anything over 750kg being towed required its own braking system.
That's why hire places won't let me pick up a car trailer with a lancer (example).

As for the GU4.2/GQ4.2, I guess that the GQ is lighter so from a GVM point, has lower towing capacity.

Sorry it's off topic, but as we are talking towing capacity...

Evo

Evo
19th November 2013, 03:11 AM
Just as a comparison (my curiosity is unleashed sometimes) I went looking.

Chevy Silverado (6.5), GVM 2766kg, towing capacity just over 4250kg.

Patrol (ZD30), GVM 3000kg, towing capacity, as said, 3200kg.

Patrol GVM is 250kg more, towing capacity is 1050kg less...

@Patrolled-What is your new GVM?

Evo

Patrolled
26th November 2013, 12:53 AM
Hi Evo

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yep, GVM was upgraded, now 3560 kg.

Just weighed us, me and the wife, full tanks of diesel, roof racks, bull bar, spotties, dual batteries and controller, rear drawers, fridge slide, tow bar, air bags (!), UHF, floor mats

Nothing else in the vehicle, we are at 3.08 ton, so that give us ~ 500 kg payload, not too bad.
Front "axle" 1600 kg
Rear "axle" 1460 kg
Total = 3080 kg

so the weighbridge is out by about 20 kg, likely due to axles being weighed off centre from the weighbridge.

Take off ~ 200 kg for planned tow ball mass, leaves us around 300 kg of luggage, fridge, water, food.

Will have to stick with the tow capacity of 3200 for now.

Let us see if Nissan brings out the Titan with 4T tow capacity in the next few years.

BigRAWesty
26th November 2013, 01:12 AM
Top outcome. Nice..