PDA

View Full Version : Just got a bang

First Patrol
17th November 2013, 06:53 PM
Hi guys I come here for your knowledge again!
Just driving home and I get a bang from passenger front wheel area. Happens when I hit brakes or swerve side to side. Stopped checked wheel nuts they good.
Let me guess wheel bearings?????
Can I drive it for next 2 days safely to work till I get day off to fix??

growler2058
17th November 2013, 06:55 PM
Could be a number of things mate. Id be jacking it up and having a good hard look before driving too far

Punderhead
17th November 2013, 07:12 PM
Check the bushes in the radius arms, not forgetting the one at the back of the arm.

Cheers

lhurley
17th November 2013, 08:01 PM
What kind of bang was it?? Was it a twang or a clunk or thud or something else?

First Patrol
17th November 2013, 08:23 PM
It is a clunk noise if you swerve side to side or straighten up after a round about or just when hitting brakes.
I jacked it up all bushes look ok wheel bearings seem good after giving wheel a wobble. Once jacked down you wobble top of wheel and can feel movement and here a little noise as in some play somewhere. Could it be the rim??? Can't see any cracks etc

MEGOMONSTER
17th November 2013, 08:56 PM
I remember ages ago my Missus getting that sort of description in her Magna.
It was the front shock shit itself.

First Patrol
17th November 2013, 09:04 PM
I remember ages ago my Missus getting that sort of description in her Magna.
It was the front shock shit itself.

How do I test that??

lhurley
17th November 2013, 09:54 PM
My spring makes a clunk due to the top hat thing is squashed up under the spring. Check your springs.

NP99
17th November 2013, 10:04 PM
How do I test that??

Check the shock bushes, eye welds and oil leaks.

BigRAWesty
18th November 2013, 04:54 AM
Have a mate jump on the bull bar while your under it..
And my money is with radius arms. Happens a lot..
Take to the radius arm bolts with socket and spanner and crank them up. Do it quickly before they flog out the the plate is welded to the diff and not changeable..

First Patrol
18th November 2013, 08:00 AM
Cheers will check all that tonight. But while I was removing wheel it didn't look like it was seated right. Once I replaced it took it for a spin no more banging.
I just got new tyres bout 1000km ago and while the wheel nuts were tight (something I checked after 100km aswell) maybe the in correct seating of tyre was causing this???
What you guys think?? Should it have done this straight from tyre shop ?
Cheers

BigRAWesty
18th November 2013, 08:33 AM
Interesting. Seems weird Its lasted 1000k if not seated.
Have they fitted the right nuts to suit the rim??

First Patrol
18th November 2013, 09:04 AM
Interesting. Seems weird Its lasted 1000k if not seated.
Have they fitted the right nuts to suit the rim??

That's what I thought, I presume the right nuts are on there as they would be the same throughout wouldn't they?? I only replaced tyres not rims. Just seems strange after refitting the bang has gone. I'm keeping a close eye on it

First Patrol
23rd November 2013, 08:20 PM
Ok so the saga continues. After the last time everything been good till this morning. When the clunk started happening again, I took it to our mechanic (no problem he could see) we tightened everything up not that it was loose, jacked it up took wheel off then replaced drove home no problem! Just got back from beach drove it pretty hard at the end the clunk re appears I think it's the rim from when wheel nuts are coming a little lose causing it a little play???? What you guys think?

lhurley
23rd November 2013, 10:45 PM
Ok so the saga continues. After the last time everything been good till this morning. When the clunk started happening again, I took it to our mechanic (no problem he could see) we tightened everything up not that it was loose, jacked it up took wheel off then replaced drove home no problem! Just got back from beach drove it pretty hard at the end the clunk re appears I think it's the rim from when wheel nuts are coming a little lose causing it a little play???? What you guys think?

The nuts shouldn't come lose if they are tightened correctly. I have a random front end clunk in my car, but it's because the spring top hat rubber thing has deteriorated and doesn't seat right. Have you checked your springs?

lhurley
23rd November 2013, 10:46 PM

Double post

First Patrol
23rd November 2013, 10:48 PM
It looked good today but will double check in morning mate. This is pissing me off lol