PDA

View Full Version : Petrol / Gas VS Diesel 4.5 or 4.8L which is better ?

woosh73
16th November 2013, 12:30 AM
Hey i just wanted to know your thoughts , i am looking at buying a GU , hopefully the 4.8 l petrol with gas, if not the 4.5L . my questions is those who have petrol GU's do you find much power difference between the 4.5 to the 4.8L. / gas not on gas, just wanting your side and a list of the pro's and cons. One of mine are is the obvious initial price difference , as a petrol one is alot cheaper. I only live 5 minutes from home so running costs aren't a huge factor.

Happy to get some responses

Cheers

lhurley
16th November 2013, 12:42 AM
I run a 4.5 with injected gas, power wise, on gas it is slightly down, but not much. I can still get 500km out of a 120 gas and 35 petrol.

I barely notice it on gas, I am pretty happy with the power it produces, but for towing I feel like could use more power.

4by
16th November 2013, 01:32 AM
The 4.8 is a higher tech engine and will go better. Test drive as many as you can before you decide.
If going 4.5 get manual as its a bit sluggish with auto. 4.5 easy to service and repair simple tappet adjustment and very reliable.
Read a few posts on both and do your homework before deciding. Dont forget to ask questions. Good luck.

BigRAWesty
16th November 2013, 01:40 AM
Tbh I don't think you'd go wrong with either.
Both produce around the same sorta mileage figures, ofcourse the 4.8 is more powerful, but is more advanced..

Ultimately if you could find a 4.2 turbo diesel that's your best option.
But they require a fat wallet..

Evo
16th November 2013, 01:43 AM
+1 for 4.5 recommendations.
I have one, manual dual fuel.
For the weight of it, goes well enough.
Haven't done a nice long drive to get some range out of it, but around 400kms from 90lt gas around town.
75 litres of petrol goes a long way when running mostly on gas.
I can't tell the running difference between the two fuels either.
But definitely don't rush in and test drive a few.
When I was looking for mine, I took my time and did a lot of research.
I wanted a 4.2 TD, looking at upwards of $25k at the time, but then I saw this one, dual fuel, 1 owner from new, immaculate interior, full service records, cost me $7000.
Bargain I think.

Evo

Bob
16th November 2013, 08:33 AM
I have a 4.5 with a 105 Useable Gas Tank & 35 Litres Petrol

I use 18 Litres per 100 K's on Highway Cruising and 22 Litres per 100 K's around town
On ULP I use 16 Litres per 100 K's

Don't notice the difference between Gas and Petrol
The 4.8 would have more Power but I am more than happy with the 4.5

threedogs
16th November 2013, 09:57 AM
When I had my dual-fuel 4x4 it made no difference in fuel figures, from towing to 4x4 to hwy.
@ Bob gotta be happy with 580 gas range,