PDA

View Full Version : replacement intercooler for commonrail?

grimace
14th November 2013, 02:46 PM
g'day gents, just lifted the bonnet of the beast today to check oil etc and noticed it was black in the rear corner of the intercooler so figure it must have a pin hole leak as it was only slight. anyway was wondering if anyone has replaced the intercooler on the commonrail and if so what brand? and the million dollar question, how much was it? looking to get out of this as cheap as possible but at the same time want the best for my hard earned any feedback will be great...

cheers G

threedogs
14th November 2013, 02:57 PM
Check out Diesel Smart who are a sponsor here.
I just replaced mine with a fully tigged job.
Highly recommend, one of the cheaper options
going around and warranty as well.
PM them for price you'll be surprised.
Mine was Di

Hodge
14th November 2013, 05:28 PM
Is it worth upgrading to these units even if a factory unit isn't leaking ??
I can see these are sold on an exchange basis.

threedogs
14th November 2013, 06:43 PM
@ Hodge wouldn't change it if it wasn't leaking, having said that it will eventually leak so maybe start up an intercooler fund.
The OE tigged are only 30% bigger I think, and should last forever, $500-$600 change over, Still over priced as Cores are only
$60-$100 and not $400 worth of welding and time, IMO

Rock Trol
14th November 2013, 11:26 PM
I installed a Cross Country intercooler a couple of months back. Wow, what a difference. Not only does the turbo come in at lower RPM but the rattle I used to hear when I took the foot off the accelerator after revving hard has gone. I can also drive up hills fully loaded (not towing) in 5th. With the stock/leaking intercooler I often had to downshift to 4th gear. My scangauge also indicates that the car is running 2-3 degrees Celsius cooler (water temp) at any speed compared to the old IC.
My old IC was leaking at the rear but I did not think it was that bad. The turbo must have been working overtime to keep the boost going.

They are pricey though ($1500 fitted) but I am very happy with it. Also supporting local industry here in Adelaide and if there is a problem I can drive strait to the factory for support.