PDA

View Full Version : Changing minimum post count for manuals

trekster
13th November 2013, 07:01 AM
Hey guys,

I reckon the minimum post count should be changed to at least 100, sick of seeing these noobs shamelessly posting shite just to get them, if its increased then they'll be caught and banned before they get them, it's really a win/win situation: they get banned and they don't get the manuals!

Just my 2c,
Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Maxhead
13th November 2013, 07:13 AM
Been discussed lots...other options are to make them available to forum sponsors only or just make them available for free

mudski
13th November 2013, 07:17 AM
I was going to put the gif image up of beating a dead horse but the limit has been change to 19.5kb so thats out. Anyway. This has been discussed on numerous occasions. While I totally agree, I doubt it would change. Same rule should apply for the For Sale section too I think.

Good luck.

taslucas
13th November 2013, 07:54 AM
It's also been said before, and I agree, that instead of raising the post count how about leaving it at 25 but making a minimum period of 3 months before they are accessible?
Some people just don't chat much and 100 posts is quite big.
If it's a time thing it might encourage people to be more active in the threads and read up more.

Doesn't bother me though. I like watching the mods play cat and mouse haha

Drewboyaus
13th November 2013, 08:40 AM
It's also been said before, and I agree, that instead of raising the post count how about leaving it at 25 but making a minimum period of 3 months before they are accessible?
Some people just don't chat much and 100 posts is quite big.
If it's a time thing it might encourage people to be more active in the threads and read up more.

Doesn't bother me though. I like watching the mods play cat and mouse haha

The time period is a good idea mate and yes, I too enjoy the sport of watching a spammer get banned......just before he gets to 25!

Bob
13th November 2013, 08:56 AM
X on time Limit but I am also a fan of becoming a Forum Sponsor before being able to download as it also helps offset the costs of running the Forum

04OFF
13th November 2013, 09:00 AM
Something should be changed, as the current system does not seem to work very well for new or old members ?

krbrooking
13th November 2013, 09:30 AM
I do completely agree on something has to change but I also believe that 100 posts or a 3 month time limit might discourage ppl even more as that was the initial reason I joined but quickly learnt the info on here is way better than the manuals and the community on here is priceless.
I think that if you really want the manuals straight away and can't be bothered waiting a small fee should apply until a set post count or time frame, with that in mind maybe extend the post count slightly to around 40 or 50.
Just my 2c worth.

rusty_nail
13th November 2013, 09:35 AM
guys at the end of the day this topic has been done and done and done. when it all boils down to it, it's up to AB if it should change or stay the same. i too like reporting an individual when the are spamming just to get to 25 posts but i dont think anyone should take it personally.

cheers

nic

taslucas
13th November 2013, 10:01 AM
guys at the end of the day this topic has been done and done and done. when it all boils down to it, it's up to AB if it should change or stay the same. i too like reporting an individual when the are spamming just to get to 25 posts but i dont think anyone should take it personally.

cheers

nic

But, I KNOW they're doing it just to pi$$ me off!!
Lmao

growler2058
13th November 2013, 10:26 AM
I like removing a post whenever they get close to 25.
I'm a simple man with simple needs I'm easily entertained ;)

growler2058
13th November 2013, 10:26 AM
And I reckon the post count should be 20,000 bwahahahahahahaha illlllll get me fiiiirrrssssst jahahahahahaha

Clunk
13th November 2013, 10:29 AM
Yawwwwwwn........ Sorry guys, just woke up. As has been said before, this topic has been done to death. So what if you get a couple of spammers, there's not that many in the grand scheme of things. Mods take care of that and the ones they don't catch and there won't be very many....... Welllllllllll they get a manual, so what!!!!!!!!
What bugs me more are threads like this :D LOL

lucus30
13th November 2013, 10:31 AM
I visit this forum about 10 times a day. Been registered for about 3 months and my post count is only 9. At this rate it will take me 9 months to get access to the manuals.
Not that I joined for the manuals to be honest as I bought a Max Ellery one any way.

growler2058
13th November 2013, 10:31 AM
Yawwwwwwn........ Sorry guys, just woke up. As has been said before, this topic has been done to death. So what if you get a couple of spammers, there's not that many in the grand scheme of things. Mods take care of that and the ones they don't catch and there won't be very many....... Welllllllllll they get a manual, so what!!!!!!!!
What bugs me more are threads like this :D LOL

Bad luck these threads help me get my post count up ;)

growler2058
13th November 2013, 10:32 AM
I visit this forum about 10 times a day. Been registered for about 3 months and my post count is only 9. At this rate it will take me 9 months to get access to the manuals.
Not that I joined for the manuals to be honest as I bought a Max Ellery one any way.

Ahhhh and we like members like you ;)

Clunk
13th November 2013, 10:43 AM
Ahhhh and we like members like you ;)

And we like members like you too......... Feel the love man :p

macca
13th November 2013, 10:45 AM
If a new member has joined to get the manuals and want them immediately then a fee is not unreasonable. 25 posts AND 3 months if they want them for free is fair too.

Some of these people have a problem with their Patrol and have turned to the net looking for answers, a lot of us have been there!!

They want info not post 25 thread replies or whatever, I can understand where they are at.

We create the problem for the admin here by requesting the minimum posts, they do that get the manual and fix their vehicle. Possibly coming back.

If they are seen as spammers they get the flick and never return, not really a desired outcome.

Pay a reasonable fee and the manuals are yours. If they decide to become a forum sponsor then the fee already paid becomes part of that payment.

If we don't want to see spammers we have to offer them what they want without copping the crap posts as it stands now.

This forum is now a business and should be run like one. Where income generation and provided services are concerned any way.

This is my opinion, I don't mean to offend any one. Please don't take it that way.

BigRAWesty
13th November 2013, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty sure AB has 2 options.
Pay a subscription or 25 posts.
If they choose the 2nd And spam crap they get a slapping..

NP99
13th November 2013, 11:39 AM
The manual costs bugger all off ebay. People should join a forum for what a forum is intended to be. Like minded people discussing, enjoying, new friends, sharing ideas etc etc.

macca
13th November 2013, 12:20 PM
The manual costs bugger all off ebay. People should join a forum for what a forum is intended to be. Like minded people discussing, enjoying, new friends, sharing ideas etc etc.
That's another option, don't offer it at all.

mudski
13th November 2013, 12:44 PM

Got it in one there mate. Now to rack up my post count in the intro section...:p

First Patrol
13th November 2013, 01:21 PM

Agreed!! I joined for advice from you guys and brought a hard copy manual I prefer them to the electronic ones

SonOf
13th November 2013, 02:03 PM
Agree - this one has been done & dusted.
As noted the info you get from general chat etc is far more informative than the manual 99.9% of the time with the other 0.1% being stuff that makes the Misses wonder what the hell I am looking at!

Anyway this will count to another post for me, unless growler is feeling bored and needs a simple pleasure and wipes it :-)

Choicebro
13th November 2013, 02:12 PM
im in a simalar boat mate , but if i ever do make the 25 i could get me a manual if needed. if post requirements increase it could me years.

taslucas
13th November 2013, 02:17 PM

im in a simalar boat mate , but if i ever do make the 25 i could get me a manual if needed. if post requirements increase it could me years.

I'll meet you two blokes in the drunk and rambling thread tonight. We'll get to know each other, have a laugh, and your post count will be up in no time:-)

liftlid
13th November 2013, 03:44 PM
If a new member has joined to get the manuals and want them immediately then a fee is not unreasonable. 25 posts AND 3 months if they want them for free is fair too.

Some of these people have a problem with their Patrol and have turned to the net looking for answers, a lot of us have been there!!

They want info not post 25 thread replies or whatever, I can understand where they are at.

We create the problem for the admin here by requesting the minimum posts, they do that get the manual and fix their vehicle. Possibly coming back.

If they are seen as spammers they get the flick and never return, not really a desired outcome.

Pay a reasonable fee and the manuals are yours. If they decide to become a forum sponsor then the fee already paid becomes part of that payment.

If we don't want to see spammers we have to offer them what they want without copping the crap posts as it stands now.

This forum is now a business and should be run like one. Where income generation and provided services are concerned any way.

This is my opinion, I don't mean to offend any one. Please don't take it that way.

I agree I would of been happy to pay for the manual when I signed up as I needed the info straight away,

Clunk
13th November 2013, 03:45 PM
I'll meet you two blokes in the drunk and rambling thread tonight. We'll get to know each other, have a laugh, and your post count will be up in no time:-)

But that's only if you don't pass out ;):D

taslucas
13th November 2013, 03:54 PM
But that's only if you don't pass out ;):D

You got me on a technicality there clunky!

Trolatron
13th November 2013, 06:01 PM
I never could download the manual, I got a cd off ebay for $9, cant understand that much either and cant ask the cd questions so I just ask you guys.

NissanGQ4.2
13th November 2013, 06:27 PM
I reckon if we search on this topic there would be a few hundred hits returned on just discussing this topic.

I have spoken 2 Andy on many occasions about the manuals telling him something needs 2 change, Personally I think it should be available to forum sponsors only. I know he has some issues believing Nissan might see this as him charging for the manuals and breaching a copyright, but I don't see it. Buy law he is breaching the copyright act already buy hosting the manuals.

Even if I wasn't a mod trying to clean rubbish posts up, as a member I would still be p!ssed off seeing old threads dug up from new members trying to get the manuals.

Most new members don't need a manual, they can post up a question and get an answer that's why there is a forum, On the rare occasion when nobody replies far enough a manual would be handy, but in saying that this forum is not the only website to host Nissan manuals and seriously its not hard to find them on the net if you could be bothered to search for them.

I could go on and on about this subject ( again ) but its now beer drinking time :):):)

nissannewby
13th November 2013, 08:16 PM
I know how to fix it (if it hasn't been said already lol)

Lock it down, no more new members :).

makeitfit
14th November 2013, 07:48 AM
Just seen this thread and hadn't realised it's been done over ? I joined for trol action , not manuals .
The manual is available free on tinterweb anyway so why bother busting a gut sorting out the riff raff ?
Carry on chaps ;)

Covo71
14th November 2013, 10:30 AM
Hey guys, I am pretty new but got hold of the manuals when I could because I like to work things out but found it so hard to find what I was looking for in them so better off asking questions here anyway. Tips are better than anything you get out if a book anyway. I love these posts though as what else would I be doing anyway(at work).

MC97GQ
14th November 2013, 01:10 PM
We certainly have been in a mood the last day or so, intros and manuals.

I don't get what the problem is if they get the manual just by signing up, is that such a bad thing. It is what I did and guess what even though some of you might wish I did after my posts today, I didn't disappear into the ether, I kept coming back.

Then when a mechanic friend had a CD copy of the genuine Nissan GU manual, I got onto AB, burnt a copy and posted it to him. Now I know there are costs involved in running this forum and hosting the manuals and I really hope the sponsorship and advertising is covering this.

But I see no problem with people getting the manuals straight off the bat, it stops the spammers. If that person registers and makes no contribution after getting the manuals for let's say 6 months then delete the account and free up more space for others. We might actually end up with more forum sponsors.

Anyway another rant over

Mark

mudski
14th November 2013, 01:34 PM
I see your point but I think the rule is there to encourage a new member to join in on conversations and get to know us rather than joining, getting the manual and then effing off.
I suppose its a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

MudRunnerTD
14th November 2013, 03:34 PM
The funny thing is its available for free unrestricted download at Patrol4x4.com.au

Lmfao

taslucas
14th November 2013, 03:52 PM
The funny thing is its available for free unrestricted download at Patrol4x4.com.au

Lmfao

You can also get these kind of threads for free on that site too lol

Maxhead
16th November 2013, 06:08 PM
Oh Well. Here it goes!

My thoughts!

It's a pretty piss poor effort trying to blame and ban newbies trying to get a manual. After all it is written and encouraged for newbies to introduce themselves and say hello to some(25) members so they can get a manual..isn't it???

We all encourage newbies to go and introduce themselves and say hello in the introduction section.

I have seen over and over again newbies getting f*ked around by the mods deleting their posts in the introductions section because its all the same wording . They call it "SPAM or some shit"
It's got me f*ked why we see lots of regular members(me included) post 10, 20 or 30 "Hi and Welcome" posts and not get deleted or get a mention! What is the difference?????

The way I see it there is lots more than these f*king manuals everyone has their balls in a knot about.. Loosen up f*kers!!

Rant over so I'll get bak to my rum

growler2058
16th November 2013, 07:21 PM
Never slap someone posting in the welcomes. Just ones that post sh!t in the forums, then its fair game :)

mudski
16th November 2013, 10:33 PM
The more I read this thread the more I DILLIGAF about the topic on hand and agree with the wise words of the likes of Kris. Move on I, am starting to think. More to worry about in life than this. Just leave it to the mods to have their fun with...
Yes I'm drunk. Again.

AB
16th November 2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah I can't be bothered either gents but anyone posting in the intros to get the 25 posts is encouraged and no one should be banned by that course of action as I personally encouraged that so if you were desperate you could get it in 5 mins.

We are here to help blokes. If crap gets posted around the forum as blatant spam then fair call, read the rules.

Same for intros, not mandatory but a common courtesy to a new community in my mind.

Don't want people to pay for it, should just open it up for free if the majority are getting pissed off.

Clunk
16th November 2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah I can't be bothered either gents but anyone posting in the intros to get the 25 posts is encouraged and no one should be banned by that course of action as I personally encouraged that so if you were desperate you could get it in 5 mins.

We are here to help blokes. If crap gets posted around the forum as blatant spam then fair call, read the rules.

Same for intros, not mandatory but a common courtesy to a new community in my mind.

Don't want people to pay for it, should just open it up for free if the majority are getting pissed off.

leave it as is.......... let neigh the sayes whinge!!!!!!

NissanGQ4.2
16th November 2013, 11:21 PM
It they were that desperate they could just visit one of the many other web sites and download it for free quicker and with no intro

I say lets open it back for all to download with no restrictions and then we all can have a whinge about the forum running slow again like last time

Bottoms up

mudski
17th November 2013, 12:35 AM
Bottoms up
Eff that! I've had too much to drink, again. I'm going ta bed.

Stropp
13th December 2013, 02:42 PM
in light of the last post and run member to download the manuals can i suggest that anyone who post whores in a certain time has to get permission to download the manuals from a moderator, is this possible or is it easier to just set the parameters that all have to be approved??

MudRunnerTD
13th December 2013, 04:27 PM
yeah was / am a little disappointed in "the wood duck", he was asking a number of good questions, even asked how to set his Sig line..... Whats the point?? Playing us for fools? i suppose we just hope for better than that! I was actually online when he was about (for most of it anyway) and responded to a couple of his questions. 25 and out! F##****K Off Then! GGRRRrrrrrr

MEGOMONSTER
13th December 2013, 09:34 PM
yeah was / am a little disappointed in "The Wood Duck", he was asking a number of good questions, even asked how to set his Sig line..... Whats the point?? Playing us for fools? i suppose we just hope for better than that! I was actually online when he was about (for most of it anyway) and responded to a couple of his questions. 25 and out! F##****K Off Then! GGRRRrrrrrr

Those questions could be a little bit of my fault, as I warned him on his intro thread not to just spam everyones threads.
As I saw it coming with his post, 2-3 questions very quickly.

Clunk
13th December 2013, 09:56 PM
yeah was / am a little disappointed in "The Wood Duck" he was asking a number of good questions, even asked how to set his Sig line..... Whats the point?? Playing us for fools? i suppose we just hope for better than that! I was actually online when he was about (for most of it anyway) and responded to a couple of his questions. 25 and out! F##****K Off Then! GGRRRrrrrrr

Bit harsh!!!! If he comes back then all well and good but it doesn't look good having his thread full of this shite and folk bagging him out!!!!!!

If he doesn't come back, then cest la vis another one bites the dust!!!!!!!!!...............

MudRunnerTD
13th December 2013, 10:05 PM
Bit harsh!!!! If he comes back then all well and good but it doesn't look good having his thread full of this shite and folk bagging him out!!!!!!

If he doesn't come back, then cest la vis another one bites the dust!!!!!!!!!...............

Yeah I agree Clunk, that's why I commented here mate, I have made a point of making no comments in his threads but have noted a number of comments from other members. Nothing out of soughts but asking the question. I should have posted in what makes you angry but someone bumped this thread so I chimed in here.

Happy to edit and remove his name, he in particular just got up my nose mate. Seemed to be making a sincere effort. Say g'day 25 times if you have to, plenty do, we all get over it and the list gets cleaned quickly but don't play our group for fools. Sorry mate just pushed a button that one did.

Maxhead
13th December 2013, 10:07 PM

spot on brother!!!

mudski
14th December 2013, 12:48 AM
Just open it to the public and be done with it.

NP99
14th December 2013, 02:00 AM
Just open it to the public and be done with it.

Or paid sponsorship.......at the end of the day it's up to AB...

PMC
16th December 2013, 11:56 AM
Hey guys,

I reckon the minimum post count should be changed to at least 100, sick of seeing these noobs shamelessly posting shite just to get them, if its increased then they'll be caught and banned before they get them, it's really a win/win situation: they get banned and they don't get the manuals!

Just my 2c,
Cheers,
Eric.

G'day Eric,

I am with you mate!

Regards,

RLI

Ben-e-boy
16th December 2013, 12:04 PM
I am over the spam and over threads like this

Just do what P4x4 does and have admin or an moderator approve the first few posts

mudski
16th December 2013, 05:39 PM
I got better words for over it. As John Lennon sung, let it be.