PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish you'd never spent your money on (4x4 and camping):

Drewboyaus
11th November 2013, 08:54 AM
Hi Guys,
Following a post somewhere else from Macca, I thought I'd start this thread as I reckon there's some stuff in peoples sheds they wish they'd never spent their hard earned on.
Try to keep it to camping and 4 x 4 and its not a bag-out a product thread either. I imagine there'll be some pretty funny stuff to wind up in here.

I'll kick it off with one......
One of those stupid SCA/Rays rear awnings for your car........like getting an octopus in or out of a string bag. Bloody PITA! Now that I have a proper rear awning that stupid thing never sees the light of day.....

growler2058
11th November 2013, 08:57 AM
4wd action subscription

Avo
11th November 2013, 09:03 AM
bought a cube hot water system,with my girls getting older thought it was a good idea...WRONG...used once in 2yrs...399 wasted,i suppose it's still new

MEGOMONSTER
11th November 2013, 09:09 AM
bought a cube hot water system,with my girls getting older thought it was a good idea...WRONG...used once in 2yrs...399 wasted,i suppose it's still new

I just bought the Coleman hot water system. I hope it's not going to be wasted. But the way we camp it's like a resort. Lol

MEGOMONSTER
11th November 2013, 09:10 AM
Cheap arse shower/toilet pop up tent
Zips already gone. Str8 to tip.

Sir Roofy
11th November 2013, 09:17 AM
bought a cube hot water system,with my girls getting older thought it was a good idea...wrong...used once in 2yrs...399 wasted,i suppose it's still new

the wife loves ours but as you say not used that often

macca
11th November 2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks Drew, where to start?
A few that come to mind.
The worst would be the Hilux, that would need a repair every time it went bush, unbreakable.... my freckle. That ad where the bloke forgets the hand brake cracks me up. It never had one that worked in the 1st place!!!!
Other stuff;
A cheap awning, did get money back.
An expensive compressor, fixed at my cost and gave to a mate... a Toyota owner as it turns out LOL.
All sorts of camp chairs, there is always a nicer one to buy at a show or whatever.
Torches, same as chairs.
Air beds, no more to say really. And all sorts of useless pumps.
Stretchers, like the chairs ended up with some good ones.
Bucket showers, PITA things they are. If the motor leaks they don't wont work.... funny that.
Roof racks and their accessories, never found one that did all tasks. The box of bits comes in handy though.
2mtr UHF antenna, impulse buy boof head!!!!
Schmick alloys for the Nissan, too flash just didn't want to scratch them so sold them and bought steelies.
Well that's a start.
This is bad, I have wasted some money over the years.

Then there is the 2 different TPMS that just didn't work.
And in dash Radio, GPS, off road mapping and everything else, heap of crud that was.
Those canister cookers, wont work in the cold of our outback winters.

ova50
11th November 2013, 09:47 AM
Those stupid plastic egg holders. "Dont buy em".
Over the years an assortment of tents, cooking gear and chairs.

Macca: You have had a bad run, mate.
:cheers:

macca
11th November 2013, 09:51 AM
Those stupid plastic egg holders. "Dont buy em".
Over the years an assortment of tents, cooking gear and chairs.

Macca: You have had a bad run, mate.
:cheers:

Yep and we had one of those egg thingys too :confused:

TimE
11th November 2013, 09:54 AM
The thing that cost me the most and turned out to have been a real dud purchase was the wedding ring for my first ex wife :(

4WD related was also my Hilux, like above everything that could break did! The only bits that didn't need major repair were the motor and gearbox/transfercase.

Bloodyaussie
11th November 2013, 09:54 AM
My shit crap awning and my chemical camping toilet. ... I hate that thing!!

mudski
11th November 2013, 10:07 AM
My last two tents! I hate setting up tents...

TPC
11th November 2013, 10:13 AM
Worst thing I bought was a Hilux Surf, something went wrong every time I went away, only kept it for a year.
Like others I bought the plastic egg holders, broke every egg I put in it, now I leave them in the carton and never break eggs.

PS: Macca you should not be allowed to go shopping by yourself, obviously have no self control. lol

macca
11th November 2013, 10:31 AM
PS: Macca you should not be allowed to go shopping by yourself, obviously have no self control. lol

Heard that before, can not remember who said it...... mmmmmmm

threedogs
11th November 2013, 10:55 AM
Brought my 6 cell MAGLITE just before LEDS came on the market.
It sits with its 4 cell and double A mates while I have 15 Led torches from over the years.
The P7 would have to be the best all rounder,
Tents as the GLF worked at Kmart I have 10 tents ATM, couple are new in boxes
, gave a few 10 man cabin style to a mate and the guy up the road.
4 swags. Should list all you want to get rid of .
chairs would have to be a biggie with me but my latest chair seems to work ok so far

gaddy
11th November 2013, 10:55 AM
Camping showers , gone back to the beer keg on a 3 ring burner and bilge pump never fails

Stropp
11th November 2013, 11:06 AM
Camping showers , gone back to the beer keg on a 3 ring burner and bilge pump never fails

sounds like mine but i just use a 20ltr stainless bucket.

threedogs
11th November 2013, 11:33 AM
great thread topic, should go for ages

Ben-e-boy
11th November 2013, 11:46 AM
I regret getting a RTC damper POS. Going through a few sets of shocks before getting the Kings, should have forked out the money the first time, Same with the springs, they are still not right need another set to get the ride, travel and handling characteristics I am after.
Dropping the length of the front shocks to try and save the bushes and tie rod ends a bit and then having (and knowing) the hybrid arms coming
on the market. Now I dont have the travel I want but now have an increased service life of some front end componants and can now afford to have more travel, should have waited and not been so impatient.

Alot of the time I regret taking out the aircon to replace it with the radiator for my intercooler.

I have always wanted an allrounder. All rounders means sacrifice in certain areas of 4wding. Some of the sacrifices I have made are a bit too much. This I found out on the high country trip where there were some things I could make better without affecting it ability to crawl and flex.

Sooo I have been thinking about an entire setup change, recently finding out that the long arms can be engineered but only with a 2 inch lift. A 2 inch lift is the path I am going to go down now. Was at a mates place yesterday discussing what I can do about a fully bolt on antirock sway bar and shock mount setup so I still have the same flex, and increase stability all tucked into a 2 inch lift and 37 inch tyres

taslucas
11th November 2013, 11:52 AM
A bottle of glenfiddech.....

Bob
11th November 2013, 12:05 PM

But you got rid of it very quickly LOL

gaddy
11th November 2013, 12:21 PM
Cheap arse shower/toilet pop up tent
Zips already gone. Str8 to tip.

We've had our oz trail one since 2003 its getting a bit thin but the frame is still good , been thinking about just getting new walls made in vinyl with a good quality zip

mudnut
11th November 2013, 12:26 PM
I know its not camping, but the disposable gas bottles and useless regulator (which is just a tap) to fit my TIG welder. Lucky to get 300 mm of weld out of it.

rottodiver
11th November 2013, 12:30 PM
My list is fairly long but at the moment my biggest regret is MUD MAPS

Scotty

TPC
11th November 2013, 12:44 PM
My wife, before I met her camping was easy, would have mates ring me 5pm Friday and ask if I wanted to go camping and I would be ready to go by 5.30pm.
All I would need is tent, sleeping bag, chair, esky, beer, chops & snags.
These days it takes me a couple of days to pack the camper trailer with everything including the kitchen sink.

Drewboyaus
11th November 2013, 02:02 PM
Wow! Certainly opened Pandoras Box.....some bloody classics.
Macca, you need help! LMAO
Those egg holders are a dead set loser too....I never had one and never broke an egg......bought on coz it seemed like a good idea, needless to say I'm back to the carton again.....

rusty_nail
11th November 2013, 02:16 PM

yeah wait! where did that end up???

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u502/Nic_Purdon/Facebook/nissanpatrolcomau%20October%20meetup/1401463_10151611250471841_775395190_o.jpg

Ben-e-boy
11th November 2013, 02:32 PM
I regret getting a RTC damper POS. Going through a few sets of shocks before getting the Kings, should have forked out the money the first time, Same with the springs, they are still not right need another set to get the ride, travel and handling characteristics I am after.
Dropping the length of the front shocks to try and save the bushes and tie rod ends a bit and then having (and knowing) the hybrid arms coming
on the market. Now I dont have the travel I want but now have an increased service life of some front end componants and can now afford to have more travel, should have waited and not been so impatient.

Alot of the time I regret taking out the aircon to replace it with the radiator for my intercooler.

I have always wanted an allrounder. All rounders means sacrifice in certain areas of 4wding. Some of the sacrifices I have made are a bit too much. This I found out on the high country trip where there were some things I could make better without affecting it ability to crawl and flex.

Sooo I have been thinking about an entire setup change, recently finding out that the long arms can be engineered but only with a 2 inch lift. A 2 inch lift is the path I am going to go down now. Was at a mates place yesterday discussing what I can do about a fully bolt on antirock sway bar and shock mount setup so I still have the same flex, and increase stability all tucked into a 2 inch lift and 37 inch tyres

Forgot to add the Maxxis Bravo tyres I bought for the road, I wont buy them again,

Winnie
11th November 2013, 02:54 PM
Silverstone extreme mud tyres. The Simex copies, they are crap! Ultimate grip offroad but I get so many punctures

macca
11th November 2013, 03:44 PM
Macca, you need help! LMAO...

I knew this would happen when you 1st mentioned it LOL

Its like the depression thing I feel a whole lot better now I have spoken to someone about it,
I just got to find one of you lot that care :1087::1087::1087:

my third 256
11th November 2013, 03:54 PM
is this the egg holder i have 2 of these and they are great
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Fold-Plastic-Egg-Holder-Carrier-Picnic-Storage-Container-Each-Hold-12-Eggs-/140937738415?pt=AU_Housekeeping&hash=item20d08b38af

TPC
11th November 2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Fold-Plastic-Egg-Holder-Carrier-Picnic-Storage-Container-Each-Hold-12-Eggs-/140937738415?pt=AU_Housekeeping&hash=item20d08b38af

Looks the same as I had and mine went in the dump at Birdsville after breaking all my eggs crossing the Simpson.

pbk1776
11th November 2013, 04:58 PM
I'm relatively new in 4x4 scene and I bought a D22 as my first fourby
If I only knew the difference between ifs and live axle I should have just
Bought myself a patrol straight away

Winnie
11th November 2013, 04:59 PM
I definitely wasn't a waste but I wish I didn't spend as much money on my last Patrol, luckily most of the money I spent on it was things I was able to transfer to my new one.

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

kind
11th November 2013, 06:09 PM
@TPC haha mate cant agree more camping with the boys 20min and we on the tracks now yeah takes hours for her to gather everything she wants then write a shopping list

ova50
11th November 2013, 06:37 PM

Ones I had were yellow in colour, Came in two different sizes to suit the different sized eggs. One trip and in the bin they went.
My wife said they would be great if we were transporting hard boil eggs. :wink:

Cuppa
11th November 2013, 07:07 PM
Coleman catalytic heater. Converted it to run of the vehicle’s electrical system & LP gas cylinders & the carried it 45,000kms around Australia & never used it once.

Wife, who was learning to play piano insisted we have a portable keyboard to take with us on the same trip. I bought her one especially, she made a padded storage bag for it & I built specific storage space & restraints for it. Was never removed from it’s spot. After the trip we donated it to friends for their overland drive to the UK & back. They are now into their 3rd year (currently on their way back & in Nepal) & have played it about half a dozen times.

Was given a 12v vacuum cleaner for the trip. Never used it.

Have had several 12v showers. Woeful things that just don’t last.

Solar shower bags - great idea, but we never wanted to shower at a time when the water was warm

We also had a chemical porta potti which we rarely used ‘cos the stench of the chemicals was worse than the ‘deposits’. We have since discovered the ‘joys’ of generic napisan, & subseqyet times away have seen us use the porta potti without an issue.

‘Emergency food supply’ of flavoured instant noodles. Carried all around the country & brought home.

SonOf
11th November 2013, 08:00 PM
cheap Kmart sleeping bags that were supposed to be rated to zero degre, found that meant when it got to about 5 you got bloody cold and when it hit zero they were totally useless.

Hodge
11th November 2013, 08:41 PM
I'm relatively new in 4x4 scene and I bought a D22 as my first fourby
If I only knew the difference between ifs and live axle I should have just
Bought myself a patrol straight away

Oh mate, you describe what I was going to reply in this thread, word for word perfectly!!
Bought a D22 brand new, as a normal every day car/ute. Then caught the 4x4 bug and proceeded to spend nearly $15k on the thing, while every day comforting my self "Ifs isnt that bad, Ifs isnt' that bad" . Then one day, I got so sick of the torsion bar / leaf setup, I had enough and saw the light... And here I am today.

BigRAWesty
11th November 2013, 09:48 PM
My wife, before I met her camping was easy, would have mates ring me 5pm Friday and ask if I wanted to go camping and I would be ready to go by 5.30pm.
All I would need is tent, sleeping bag, chair, esky, beer, chops & snags.
These days it takes me a couple of days to pack the camper trailer with everything including the kitchen sink.

X2. Those were the day's.

Biggest was of my money..
A pink fishing Rod for the wife. Used once... :banghead:

Have one if those small gas propane portable bbq's which take the disposable bottles. What a pos..

kind
11th November 2013, 10:07 PM
Have one if those small gas propane portable bbq's which take the disposable bottles. What a pos..[/QUOTE]

I have them to but I love mine haha sits on the drop shelf from my rear door

Clunk
11th November 2013, 10:14 PM
Have one if those small gas propane portable bbq's which take the disposable bottles. What a pos..

I have them to but I love mine haha sits on the drop shelf from my rear door[/QUOTE]

I was gonna say the same but not sure if it's the same thing, mine uses the butane cans (I think) , that you just pop in....... Work a treat

Drewboyaus
11th November 2013, 10:16 PM
I have them to but I love mine haha sits on the drop shelf from my rear door

They do sometimes but are rubbish if you do any camping at altitude or in the cold.

BigRAWesty
11th November 2013, 10:46 PM
They do sometimes but are rubbish if you do any camping at altitude or in the cold.

The slightest of wind Its no good. Forget them for the beach. Upgraded to a 28 thou btu twin cooker. Never looked back

smicko
12th November 2013, 12:55 AM
That last bloody Disco I had! Cursed thing cost me a friggen fortune.

Only good thing about it was that it cured my Land Rover addiction.

threedogs
12th November 2013, 06:49 AM
Those Gasmate style gas stoves are great, for coffee in the morning you can buy wind breaks for them for $6.
Just don't crowd cooking area,

I hate the things that I brought on impulse which turned out to be rubbish, Save and buy quality
CHEAP stuff is CHEAP for a reason

Winnie
12th November 2013, 06:55 AM

Yeah I've had a couple. Had a real cheap one and it was good in summer but come winter it was useless. So I bought a more expensive one thinking it would be better. Nope.
Now I've got a proper burner with a proper gas bottle.

Drewboyaus
12th November 2013, 07:46 AM
Yeah I've had a couple. Had a real cheap one and it was good in summer but come winter it was useless. So I bought a more expensive one thinking it would be better. Nope.
Now I've got a proper burner with a proper gas bottle.

Yeah, I went through a couple in the same way.....more expensive has to be better.....nope.
I use the Coleman dual fuel burners myself. They'll boil a pot in about 2 minutes.

pbk1776
12th November 2013, 07:47 AM
Oh mate, you describe what I was going to reply in this thread, word for word perfectly!!
Bought a D22 brand new, as a normal every day car/ute. Then caught the 4x4 bug and proceeded to spend nearly $15k on the thing, while every day comforting my self "Ifs isnt that bad, Ifs isnt' that bad" . Then one day, I got so sick of the torsion bar / leaf setup, I had enough and saw the light... And here I am today.

Its good to hear someone else had experience this - then I do not feel so bad for myself :-)
I sold 2 of my cars to buy the D22 as my first 4x4 - then spent just over 10K on suspension
and keep breaking parts

as you said I saw the light and sold it

threedogs
12th November 2013, 09:24 AM
@ pbk not much for the same money will come close to a Nissan Patrol off road,
straight off the showroom floor. Others have plenty of buttons but at a price.
Who knows the Patrol may well be the last of the real 4x4s

Stropp
12th November 2013, 09:48 AM

i just wrap my cans in a cloth and put it in the car to stop it from getting too cold and the gas compressing.

threedogs
12th November 2013, 09:51 AM
Not many two burner stoves work at altitude.
only the dual fuel jobs work well

Winnie
12th November 2013, 10:04 AM
i just wrap my cans in a cloth and put it in the car to stop it from getting too cold and the gas compressing.

I used to put them in my sleeping bag overnight and they worked fine for the first minute or so then froze up.

threedogs
12th November 2013, 10:11 AM
Someone should invent a diesel pressurized cooker ring some how,
like the old gas lanterns

taslucas
12th November 2013, 10:36 AM

Can get petrol ones. Dad has a dual fuel bushwalking cooker that takes petrol

pbk1776
12th November 2013, 11:04 AM
@ pbk not much for the same money will come close to a Nissan Patrol off road,
straight off the showroom floor. Others have plenty of buttons but at a price.
Who knows the Patrol may well be the last of the real 4x4s

I have to agree with the last real 4x4s

macca
12th November 2013, 12:00 PM

A mate was looking at a high end camper trailer, it had diesel heating, hot water and a cooker. They must be available.

mudnut
12th November 2013, 12:01 PM
I have to agree with the last real 4x4s

If you're talking Q that is...