PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix Ignitor Help

Gordonhbm
11th November 2013, 02:04 AM
Hi,
I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place but your help would be greatly appreciated. I have just installed a Pertronix Ignitor, the basic one (i.e. not the Ignitor 11). The engine tries to start but quits almost immediately having been running on 2 or 3 out of 6 cylinders. Tried again and all was well. Came to restart today and it is just like it was at start. Have tried the following test:
1. connected positive lead of voltmeter to the negative side of the ignition coil.
2. Disconnected the high voltage wire from centre of distributor cap and earthed it to chassis.
3. Cranked the engine.
4. The voltmeter during cranking shows a constant 3.5 to 4 volts. I expected to see a range of 10 to 12 volts.
The unit is a negative earth system, with the igniter red lead connected to the positive of the coil. The black lead is connected to the negative of the coil. The coil is a new flamethrower with a primary resistance of 3 ohms. Static timing is set correctly for engine. There is no ballast resistor in the system and there is full battery voltage (12 volts) at the coil positive.

Please can anyone advise what other tests I should carry out and the significance of the result of the test (4 above) that i have carried out.

threedogs
11th November 2013, 08:35 AM
Mate pop over to the intros first, just a courtesy thing, and something the Forum asks of us all.
You'll get a better response as well, no harm done , just Forum rules

GQ TANK
12th November 2013, 11:32 PM
The negative on the coil is being pulsed, I would expect the reading that you are getting.

I have read of people having problems with he flame thrower coils -(I have a GTR40 and resistor on my gq)

see http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/pdf/ignitor12vneg.pdf

taslucas
13th November 2013, 08:26 AM
see http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/pdf/ignitor12vneg.pdf

There is also some pertronix manual and trouble shooting guides in the manual section of this forum which may be of some help