PDA

View Full Version : OME or Tough Dog?

Dougy
10th November 2013, 07:07 PM
Am wanting to put a 2 inch lift on my 2011 st patrol, ive had ome suspension before and cant complain on their performance at all. But tough dog shock absorbers rated the best in last years 4wd magazine and they were up against the nitrocharger sports from ome! Bit hesitant on changing, but toughdog seems worthy enough and I believe they are a bit cheaper aswell. Anyone else happy with toughdog suspension?

happygu
10th November 2013, 07:13 PM
I've never used them, and they may have changed in the last 10 years, but a couple of the guys that ran them back then didn't get the expected lifespan and were a bit disappointed.

Never heard problems with the OME's on any large scale, but I haven't run them for years either. My sets were OK when I had them.

I have run Koni's for the last 15 years ...... good too.....

Mic

macca
10th November 2013, 07:16 PM
Very happy with the Tough Dog Ralph on the front and Big Bore adjustable on the rear. Expensive at $550 a pair but they worked and didn't let me down.
Recently really tested them on some long rough tracks for 3450klms over 25 days.
They didn't feel as if they were fading at any time.
The left front got to 75degC on a really bad bit and worked fine at that temperature, they normally were about 50degC.
I used an infrared thermometer and regularly checked the suspension and bearings with it.
A mate had 3 OME shocks fail but I feel they were too short for his suspension and got torn into two pieces.

LachDiggityDog
10th November 2013, 07:20 PM
Hi there.

I have 3inch Tough Dog shocks and coils in my ute and I don't have any complaints as of yet. Went to Land Cruiser Park just recently and they went quite well.

Regards Lachy.

lhurley
10th November 2013, 07:22 PM
I've got a 2" ome and I'm very happy. Will most likely buy them again. Superior engenieering do a 2" armada kit for just over a grand that I think would be pretty good too

Drewboyaus
10th November 2013, 07:42 PM
I run OME 2 inch lift in my GQ and reckon its fantastic. Never used anything but OME though.
My personal opinion is the OME is a cut above Tough Dog but that's just my subjective opinion.

roddee01
25th November 2013, 08:57 PM
I have 2" tough dog foam cells, with dobinson coils and tough dog rtc damper, I've got mates that can't believe the difference in ride between there Gu/GQ's, theres being harsh even on the bitumen and mine being more rounded and tame on the bitumen and yet still able to deal with the rough stuff... I'll never go back to OME.

Drewboyaus
25th November 2013, 09:37 PM
I have 2" tough dog foam cells, with dobinson coils and tough dog rtc damper, I've got mates that can't believe the difference in ride between there Gu/GQ's, theres being harsh even on the bitumen and mine being more rounded and tame on the bitumen and yet still able to deal with the rough stuff... I'll never go back to OME.

Sounds more to do with poor spring rate choice than shocks.
My OME is as smooth as a gravy sandwich on the hwy and exactly the same (with amazing control) in the really rough stuff. The thing I like about OME is I don't have to adjust the shocks myself. The OME valving is excellent.

Ben-e-boy
25th November 2013, 10:26 PM
Sounds more to do with poor spring rate choice than shocks.
My OME is as smooth as a gravy sandwich on the hwy and exactly the same (with amazing control) in the really rough stuff. The thing I like about OME is I don't have to adjust the shocks myself. The OME valving is excellent.

You havnt driven on anything else. How can you say something is a cut above something else that you have never tested yourself.

Drewboyaus
25th November 2013, 10:31 PM
You havnt driven on anything else. How can you say something is a cut above something else that you have never tested yourself.

I said my view was subjective, an opinion and clearly stated it as such.
Do you prefer a Patrol to a Landcruiser? Have you owned both to be able to make a completely objective decision?

In the post you actually quoted I was expressing a view that if the ride was harsh it was possible it was a spring rate issue not shocks.
No-where did I express an opinion about the feel or ride of Tough Dog suspension.

Clunk
25th November 2013, 10:53 PM
Not tried toughdog suspension, currently using a 2nd hand set of OMEs. They're a bit hard but no doubt I don't have enough weight in the car for to spring rate.
Have used toughdog rtc steering damper and quite liked it until I managed to bend it. Now using their adjustable jobbie...... Jury is still out on that one though but I do like being able to stiffen up the steering for road use.

Ben-e-boy
25th November 2013, 11:41 PM
I said my view was subjective, an opinion and clearly stated it as such.
Do you prefer a Patrol to a Landcruiser? Have you owned both to be able to make a completely objective decision?

In the post you actually quoted I was expressing a view that if the ride was harsh it was possible it was a spring rate issue not shocks.
No-where did I express an opinion about the feel or ride of Tough Dog suspension

I run OME 2 inch lift in my GQ and reckon its fantastic. Never used anything but OME though.My personal opinion is the OME is a cut above Tough Dog but that's just my subjective opinion

Big woop I quoted the wrong post.

I had a 75 series as a daily and weekend pig. Granted I didnt actually own it. But drove it daily for a considerable time.
There are 2 main reasons I bought a patrol.
1. Toyotas dont bring out a factory coil ute.
2. The team DGR patrol. Which a few key mods on mine are based on, In order to take it very far from standard. But, when I first bought it I made sure I knew how it felt to drive, I knew how it reacted. I spent time figuring out its short comings ( and still do), and basically what I didnt like too much so I could form a good opinion on it, and improve on standard

The land cruser has a better low range gearing, in stock form the 1hz makes more power, the cab is bigger and better in a cruiser, in the coil front cruiser ( which I would drive around the quarry regularly) the front end feel nicer than my patrol in every form it has been in, and the DOHC factory turbo motor is nice and smooth

The patrols have a better driveline, which is common knowledge, the 75 went through 8 diffs and gearbox.

You clearly state in post 6 that that In your opinion ( although subjective but you still put the point forward) that OME are a cut above tough dog and my point is how do you know that.

I'm not perfect.... Some of the advice and opinions I have given out over the years on this forum are probably not the best.

But. They have some substance to them.

hekarewe
26th November 2013, 12:01 AM
I own 2003 GU and fitted a 50mm lift using all Old man emu parts in 2010 i had heavy duty coils and shocks fitted to the rear as a tow a heavy camper as well. i just did the cape trip this year on that suspension (now being a few months short of 3 years old) they are still as solid as the day they were fitted and they do flex well for what they are so when it comes time to replace them i will be going with OME again.

the only Tuff dogs i have used were big bore foam cells that i put under an old pajero worked well at the time but only lasted about 2 years from memory they were matched up with 8 leaf OME springs to stop the back of the paj sagging the springs lasted but the tuff dogs not so much.

as for 4wd action comparo's,,,,,, when they rate something as good check and see how much advertising the product has had in previous mags and on their DVD's it does influence their ratings

Drewboyaus
26th November 2013, 09:26 AM
Big woop I quoted the wrong post.

I had a 75 series as a daily and weekend pig. Granted I didnt actually own it. But drove it daily for a considerable time.
There are 2 main reasons I bought a patrol.
1. Toyotas dont bring out a factory coil ute.
2. The team DGR patrol. Which a few key mods on mine are based on, In order to take it very far from standard. But, when I first bought it I made sure I knew how it felt to drive, I knew how it reacted. I spent time figuring out its short comings ( and still do), and basically what I didnt like too much so I could form a good opinion on it, and improve on standard

The land cruser has a better low range gearing, in stock form the 1hz makes more power, the cab is bigger and better in a cruiser, in the coil front cruiser ( which I would drive around the quarry regularly) the front end feel nicer than my patrol in every form it has been in, and the DOHC factory turbo motor is nice and smooth

The patrols have a better driveline, which is common knowledge, the 75 went through 8 diffs and gearbox.

You clearly state in post 6 that that In your opinion ( although subjective but you still put the point forward) that OME are a cut above tough dog and my point is how do you know that.

I'm not perfect.... Some of the advice and opinions I have given out over the years on this forum are probably not the best.

But. They have some substance to them.

Good on you! That was a probably a bad example given you work in the mining industry. So you have never had an opinion or subjective belief that hasnt been fully tested by yourself?
Have I caused some offence? I'm not understanding the reason for your annoyance here.......

Opinion: A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

I declared my view as as a subjective opinion. End of story.
As it happens, my belief is from having 2 people I know who have run Tough Dog setups in their vehicles. The first a Series 1 Discovery that was well set up and played pretty hard killed a set of Tough Dog shocks after 3 years. Has since had OME and reckons for an out of the box set up it is miles in front.

The second is a work colleague of mine who has an NP Pajero and 2 years ago when he did the Simpson, he suffered from fade in his shocks (Toughdog Foam Cell) and has since replaced them with OME.

As they weren't Patrols, I didnt think that information was pertinent for you all in informing my SUBJECTIVE opinion however clearly I was wrong and will include what I had for breakfast next time!

Life is too short for this sort of rubbish.
Enjoy.

NP99
26th November 2013, 09:38 AM
I own 2003 GU and fitted a 50mm lift using all Old man emu parts in 2010 i had heavy duty coils and shocks fitted to the rear as a tow a heavy camper as well. i just did the cape trip this year on that suspension (now being a few months short of 3 years old) they are still as solid as the day they were fitted and they do flex well for what they are so when it comes time to replace them i will be going with OME again.

the only Tuff dogs i have used were big bore foam cells that i put under an old pajero worked well at the time but only lasted about 2 years from memory they were matched up with 8 leaf OME springs to stop the back of the paj sagging the springs lasted but the tuff dogs not so much.

as for 4wd action comparo's,,,,,, when they rate something as good check and see how much advertising the product has had in previous mags and on their DVD's it does influence their ratings

Not just 4wd action......caution on anyone's test results!!!

liftlid
26th November 2013, 11:48 AM
I have found the original OME shocks to have a vast improvement over the standard equipment and lasted over 200k kms . I replaced them with the new sports and found that they "felt" hasher than the original. I then changed to fox and found the improvement in ride to be remarkable compared to OME. Im now in the process of changing to ICON and these are better again. I have found that the better the suspension setup you have the more wear and tare, damage you do as you are able to drive rough roads at higher speeds. Corrugations just don't exist!

Winnie
26th November 2013, 12:13 PM
Or jumps..... bahahaha

My suspension is pretty stiff. It's OME but that's all I know, it was in the car when I bought it.

liftlid
26th November 2013, 12:45 PM
Or jumps..... bahahaha

My suspension is pretty stiff. It's OME but that's all I know, it was in the car when I bought it.

What ?????? He he
For what your using your car for OME is perfect especially touring, I'm putting my old OME in the ute.

taslucas
26th November 2013, 12:54 PM
Or jumps..... bahahaha

Any stiffer and I would of had concussion haha

nissannewby
26th November 2013, 12:54 PM
Life is too short for this sort of rubbish.
Enjoy.

I find this a little contradictory. Anything like these discussions your always putting your 2c in (which everyone is welcome too) then someone opposes it and do exactly as previously posted in this thread. You seem to be the first person to whinge about someone as soon as they aren't around. Id like to know what was said about us northerners after we left.

As for the original post, I have had both and used both in all situations. Tough dog is ok but I won't be buying it again especially with what you can get on the market theses days (amarda, fox, king, etc) at reasonable prices. Tough dog is over priced and over rated. Old Man emu however equals very good value for money.

liftlid
26th November 2013, 12:56 PM

What heads knocking together?

Winnie
26th November 2013, 01:07 PM

Was it that rigid? It is similar to my last Patrol and I've never known any different but always thought it was pretty stiff.

taslucas
26th November 2013, 01:13 PM
What heads knocking together?

Dirty dirty mind Gary!

Was it that rigid? It is similar to my last Patrol and I've never known any different but always thought it was pretty stiff.

Nah it was only rough on the faster rocky sections.

Mines got iron man shocks from the previous owner and what seems like pretty rigid springs where as a mate has toughdog springs and Rancho 9 way adjustables usually set on 2nd softest and his is like riding a cloud. (get you mind out of the gutter Gary!)

liftlid
26th November 2013, 01:14 PM
Dirty dirty mind Gary!

Nah it was only rough on the faster rocky sections.

Mines got iron man shocks from the previous owner and what seems like pretty rigid springs where as a mate has toughdog springs and Rancho 9 way adjustables usually set on 2nd softest and his is like riding a cloud. (get you mind out of the gutter Gary!)

You boys need to get a room!

Hodge
26th November 2013, 01:16 PM
My D22 got fitted with Tough Dog 2" lift all around. So 4 shocks, leaf springs and torsion bars. NO weight in the rear at all, the leafs straightened out, and were on the borderline of a sad face. Got this replaced under warranty no questions asked. Then, torsion bars began making all weird creaky noises under flex, and front of the care started being stiffer and stiffer. Ended up being shocks stuffed and torsion replaced once again under warranty. This was all in a span of about 7k on the odometer.I must admit, great warranty side of things, as the shop I had it fitted at, got in touch with the supplier and supplier sent new bits in , no questions asked.

Anyways, after 4th time going back in, for leaf springs, I said no more. Ripped it all out, slotted factory stuff in, and few weeks later I got OME fitted. It hurt the wallet dearly, but difference between OME , compared to TG, and especially compared to factory crap, was day and night! Then on my 2nd D22, again OME, never had issues.

And more importantly when I got my patrol it was a no brainer. The OME 2" lift, completely transformed the car. I did have to go back in because they slotted in springs for a non winch bar, but that was replaced within minutes and now front is level.
I haven't yet tried it on extreme side of 4x4, but what I have done on and off-road since getting the gear fitted, I'm very impressed so far.
Just my 2 and a half cents.

Kurt Bergmann
26th November 2013, 02:34 PM
I had OME 2" lift for 12000k's now and works fantastic. I think with any new suspension it is a matter of the correct set up in regards to the load ratings. ARB went through my hole set up to make sure the suspension was selected & set up correctly, I think this the main reason it works so well.

Cervantes
26th November 2013, 03:57 PM

I'll second that. I used to subscribe, but don't any more as the magazine is now nothing more than a means of advertising for their pet brands.

Hodge
26th November 2013, 05:23 PM
I'll second that. I used to subscribe, but don't any more as the magazine is now nothing more than a means of advertising for their pet brands.

Exactly. And their comparo pages are only good for burning in a camp fire. Very heavily $$$ influenced.

macca
26th November 2013, 07:09 PM
Some interesting reading, the OME's have a good following and are probably easily available at any ARB store across the country.

My choice of Toughdog's for the Patrol came due to some people we met on the Anne Beadell in 2010, they had done over 300000klm of touring and had worn out a Ultimate Camper.
They were on their second Ultimate that interestingly had Koni's on it from the manufacturer.
The tow vehicle as a 100 series that had Ralphs on it, 53mm twin tube with a 22mm shaft. Their opinion was they were the only shock they could get to handle the tasks they put them to.
The bloke reckoned he had tried and destroyed every other major brand and the TD's were the only one that has lasted.

Figured my loading of the Patrol would be similar to his, a decision I have not regretted in the 3 years of owning my Ute.
Like has been said it was loaded and weighed I got king springs to suit as well.

Steve4wdin
26th November 2013, 07:33 PM
I run Dobinson springs and Koni shocks. As previously said, Make sure you pass on all relevant information to the supplier with regards to loads. That way it gives you the best chance of doing the job once.

macca
26th November 2013, 08:32 PM
I run Dobinson springs and Koni shocks. As previously said, Make sure you pass on all relevant information to the supplier with regards to loads. That way it gives you the best chance of doing the job once.

Reckon that would be a good package

fxst78
3rd December 2013, 09:13 PM
I've had 2" OME in both my patrols. Current set have 85,000kms on them and still going strong. They are a bit stiff when the wagon is empty, but smooth right out with a bit of load.

Drewboyaus
5th December 2013, 04:01 PM
I find this a little contradictory. Anything like these discussions your always putting your 2c in (which everyone is welcome too) then someone opposes it and do exactly as previously posted in this thread. You seem to be the first person to whinge about someone as soon as they aren't around. Id like to know what was said about us northerners after we left.

Matt,
You must have me confused with somebody else. I have never (no my honest knowledge) ever remarked about anyone behind their back, either on this forum or elsewhere. It is not me. Never has been, never will be.
Clearly there seems to be some unspoken thing that I am utterly unaware of and am quite prepared to be enlightened.....
As for the comment about "life is too short for this rubbish", I was referring to having to defend myself in relation to a subjective opinion I gave, which as you rightly point out, we are entirely entitled to share as members of this forum.
I have always appreciated the advice you and Ben-e have given me directly and indirectly through this forum and just do not understand where the aggro is coming from. I have had nothing but admiration and respect for what you "Northerners" have done with your Patrols and have only ever remarked along such lines.....
Cheers,
Drew.

Uae70
7th December 2013, 06:59 AM
OME is the way to go. They are the best

Waza
10th December 2013, 03:43 PM
I have a 2" tough dog lift inc heavy duty springs to cater for a winch, dual battery, rear draws, rooftop tent fridge etc & towing of a boat. It rides a little stiff as I haven't fitted all of the mods due to the $$$. My first impression when I first drove it after fitting was WOW as it handled soooo much better. I just got back from wanaaring and it was a little harsh (dropped the tyre pressure down to compensate) but with a load it will be great. Just get the right springs and it will be worth it IMO.
Cheers
Waz

Onrei
27th April 2014, 12:23 AM
I was tossing up between OME and Tough Dog for my GU. A mate has Tough Dog with the adjustable dial and he loves it. He also swears by the foam cell. What are the pros and cons of foam cell over gas?

Dougy
3rd May 2014, 02:32 PM
I ended up going with ome with constant 400kg springs, was bit worried might be a bit stiff to ride in but its not too bad, I also had the option of constant 200kg springs. Handles great but obviously rides a lot nicer with a load.

Headhoncho67
6th May 2014, 10:13 AM
I had OME on my Jackaroo - was excellent.

Headhoncho67
6th May 2014, 10:13 AM
Maybe I'll fit them to the old 89 Patrol I have now too!