PDA

View Full Version : RB30 when towing only get to 80Kmh

Koolbananass
10th November 2013, 10:35 AM
Hi everyobe

got a 93 GQ patrol RB30 manual a couple month ago, and have been noticing when towing my foot is on the floor and only sitting on 80Kmh, this is towing trailer with 2 wooden Cupboards chairs and table, same thing when towing my sister horse float not that you wanna go fast with a horse in it.

when not towing its better but to get up speed I have to floor it to about 4000-5000 rpm, I know the RB30's are gutless in stock but this seems a little extrem, :confused::confused:

this weekend was going to check Fuel idle and mixture screws, use some carby cleaner, and maybe replace the fuel filter, :trink13::trink13:

anything else I should be looking at while I'm there

anyone had similar issue or know what could be causing it

any info would be appreciate :thumbup::thumbup:

threedogs
10th November 2013, 11:43 AM
Hi mate might want to pop over to the intros first before
asking a question, just something the forum asks of us all.
No harm done but you'll get a better response. I'm sure someone will have an answer for you

taslucas
10th November 2013, 03:18 PM
What size tyres are you running mate? Bigger tyres will suck power.

Yeah give that carby a good clean ans lubricate and make sure theres no linkages sticking. Make sure the secondary butterfly is opening.
Check for any vacuum pipes that may be cracked, loose or fallen off (especially the vacuum Advance on the dissy).
Check the points and as they're only cheap it may be worth replacing them anyway.
Check fuel filters.

The rb30 aren't too gutless but as with all older carby engines they can do with a freshen up of the fuel and ignition systems.

Koolbananass
10th November 2013, 05:24 PM
only running 31's so that should't ok, had a surf 2.4l diesel with 33's that used to take a bit to get going, what I got so far is

clean the carby and parts
check dizzy, leads, plugs, points, vacume pips and general look for loos bits
replace air & fuel & oil filter,
change engine oil.

after all that is hopefully will pull a lot better

the wird thing is in my expirience is if the engine has a power problem it usualy will run (idle) ruff as well,
but this doesn't no shaking idles normal and pulls nice at lower speeds,
will just have to see how it goes after all that,

mudnut
10th November 2013, 05:35 PM
G'day Koolbananass, check that your second stage of the carby is not binding or stiff. Also check the advance diaphragm on the front of the distributor and the choke brake diaphragm on the top rear of the carby as they sometimes get splits or holes in them, especially if the engine has backfired. (use a hand vacuum pump, but be gentle).

Koolbananass
10th November 2013, 08:54 PM
thanks for all the great tips and info, this will surely keep me busy for the coming weekend,

also have to rewire all the speakers and radio,
try and open the rear passenger door thats stuck
check the aftermaket remote entry and alarm system,

I sure will need a few jacks to get through the weekend :1062:;)

sorry don't dring :beer:

Koolbananass
3rd December 2013, 01:53 AM
been a few weeks, finally was able to do most of the work,

the biggest improvement came from adjusting the throttle cable, which will need replacing as its stretched, I also noticed there must have been a lack in maintenance of the 4by before I got it as I found a weird plastic thing in place of the fuel filter

will do the fuel pump, spark plugs, oil change & filter next & I'll take it to Schultz auto electric to get the Carby tuned.

I also might do the water pump and timing belt while I am in there

with any luck after all this it will run like new,

has anyone here removed the pre-filter from the air intake?

thanks

GQ TANK
6th December 2013, 09:26 PM
You could also do the carby heater mod - below the carby there is a honey comb heater - remove it as it does reduce power a little