PDA

View Full Version : Child restraint position

Dougy
10th November 2013, 09:13 AM
Can anyone tell me where the anchor point is for a baby seat on the passenger side middle row seat on the patrol. Ive bought a 2011 st but am still waiting to pick it up.

Is it on the floor in the back directly behind the middle seat? And do you lose much space in the cargo area because of it?

threedogs
10th November 2013, 10:00 AM
It would show you where in your user manual I would think,
but think you're in the right area

kennyb
10th November 2013, 10:07 AM
I had a baby car seat installed in my 08 ST-L earlier this year. If you look in the cargo area behind the nearside middle row passenger seat you should see a little black plastic cap. This cap was removed by the installer and a bracket and a 300 mm strap was installed to anchor the seat to the floor in the cargo area. That new strap locks onto the strap on the baby seat which comes over the rear seat between the supports of the headrest. The installed strap sits almost vertical and does not take up any space. I have the rear (3rd row seat) removed on that side and my 40 litre Engel is installed there. Does not interfere with the Engel at all. Baby seat and capsules must be installed by a professional seat installer and a certificate of compliance issued.

firm351
10th November 2013, 10:08 AM
G'day mate, there are three anchor points, one behind both the drivers and passengers side middle row seats and one behind passengers side third row seats. You do loose a bit of floor space in the cargo area but its only a small amount.

threedogs
10th November 2013, 10:15 AM
@ Kennyb now all you need is for the baby to pass
you a cold drink every now and then, Oh happy days lol

Dougy
10th November 2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks, looking forward to picking it up

mudnut
10th November 2013, 07:18 PM
Baby seat and capsules must be installed by a professional seat installer and a certificate of compliance issued.[/QUOTE]

Is that the law in NSW as the vicroads website gives a list of restraint fitting stations and suggests to be shown how to move restraints from vehicle to vehicle. Or have I got the wrong info?

Clunk
10th November 2013, 07:25 PM
Yeah I was wondering what happens if you change the seats over from one car to another on a regular basis, seems ridiculous having to take both cars to a fitting station each time, would cost a bloody fortune.

firm351
10th November 2013, 07:38 PM
Baby seat and capsules must be installed by a professional seat installer and a certificate of compliance issued.

That cant be right at least not in WA, my kids seats get removed and fitted in other cars fairly often and while im pretty good at it i wouldnt say im a professional. Additional anchor points need to be professionaly fitted and certified but fitting a seat to a factory fitted anchor point is surely something anybody can do otherwise the baby shops wouldnt be allowed to let you buy one with out having it fitted at the same time.

93patrol
10th November 2013, 08:38 PM
It was explained to me when we had our seat fitted that in an accident the cops ask who fitted the seat and if it was fitted by the shop person "trained" to fit seats you'll have some sort of protection insurance wise. But if it fitted incorrectly by you and an injury happens your liable.

This is according to the bloke that fitted ours

Hodge
10th November 2013, 08:47 PM
It was explained to me when we had our seat fitted that in an accident the cops ask who fitted the seat and if it was fitted by the shop person "trained" to fit seats you'll have some sort of protection insurance wise. But if it fitted incorrectly by you and an injury happens your liable.

This is according to the bloke that fitted ours

This is exactly what our local bloke who fitted out seats told us. Even though the seat swap, car to car, is free, and seat turn (back to front) is free too, I don't believe he was just trying to get $ out of us.

firm351
12th November 2013, 07:51 PM
You blokes had me woried so i emailed kidsafe wa and asked them.

This was the reply

Some of the other Australian states have legal requirements for restraints to be fitted professionally but that is not the case here in Western Australia. You are able to fit and move restraints at will and do not need certification at all.

im glad thats the case because i would definatly trust myself fitting them over a so called "professional" anytime

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2013, 08:16 PM
I have also fitted all my own restraints in all cars I have owned. It is not hard and I am not going to pay some guy that did 4 hours training without a Trade Qualification in anything else to drill a hole in my floor and fit a rated restraint that I can buy from the Baby shop for $10 and he charges me a couple of $100 for.

It's reasonable that you seek certification. I have no drama with that. Do it.

If I am in an accident and have my kids restrained on rated restraints through the floor then I am happy to stand in court and argue with Any Engineer who is game that those restraints are to blame.

The real point is whether the restraint is fitted in accordance to design. If it is bolted through the floor then the answer is Yes. If I don't have that piece of paper does not mean I am wrong, infact if it's right it's right! Any and all Engineers will sign it off if push comes to shove. Just make sure it's right.

I have a restraint behind every seat in all cars I own. My 2c

firm351
12th November 2013, 08:25 PM
I have a restraint behind every seat in all cars I own. My 2c

hey mate how did you go about having an anchor point behind the middle seat in the middle row of your GU.

Just wondering cause i had to get a crab bar fitted because of 50/50 spilt fold in the middle row.

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2013, 08:25 PM
Search "child restraint bolt" on eBay for the $8 bolt. They come with a big washer for under the floor pan. Drill a hole in the floor and bolt it up. It ain't going anywhere.

I am happy and confident fitting these to my car. I take my kids Lives seriously.

firm351
12th November 2013, 08:29 PM
What stops the strap sliding down the split in the seat

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2013, 08:31 PM
hey mate how did you go about having an anchor point behind the middle seat in the middle row of your GU.

Just wondering cause i had to get a crab bar fitted because of 50/50 spilt fold in the middle row.

Yes that one is a little tricky. I purchased some 50 x 50 x 5mm angle 1.2m long that I fit across the top of the back of the 2 seats. It sits under the head rests and is zip tied there to hold it in position. It spans the back of the seats hooked over the back edge and the straps of the chair go over the top of that and down to the floor restraint. With the angle the straps do not gather and stay spread out like they should. Easily handles the job. The seats do all the work like they should and the angle stops the strap from wanting to split the seats.

BigRAWesty
12th November 2013, 08:36 PM
This is exactly what our local bloke who fitted out seats told us. Even though the seat swap, car to car, is free, and seat turn (back to front) is free too, I don't believe he was just trying to get $ out of us.

Are you guys getting mixed up with fitting a child restraint, and fitting a restraining anchor point??

Seems excessive to have it fitted by a "professional". Our "trained professional" has quit the local baby place and moved away. They don't fit anymore due to Insurance reasons..

firm351
12th November 2013, 08:37 PM
That was exactly the way i was going to do it but my wife wasnt happy with my 17 years experience as a tradesmen so i had to go with the crab bar which honestly was the worst job i have ever seen done to a car. my 3 year old daughters could of done a better job took me 2 hours to remove and refit it properly wasnt going to let those blokes near it again. anyway happy wife happy life as they say

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2013, 08:46 PM
That was exactly the way i was going to do it but my wife wasnt happy with my 17 years experience as a tradesmen so i had to go with the crab bar which honestly was the worst job i have ever seen done to a car. my 3 year old daughters could of done a better job took me 2 hours to remove and refit it properly wasnt going to let those blokes near it again. anyway happy wife happy life as they say

Yeah when our first arrived my wife was adamant that we were going to spend several hundred bud for some bloke to fit the restraint. Yes 20 years of Trade background was not good enough. I refused and just did it.

You are right happy wife happy life though for sure. Maybe your missus now sees your ability after fixing the train wreck. Lol we love our ladies, we love our Kids. If I doubted what I have done it would not be done. Simple.

Clunk
12th November 2013, 11:28 PM
Pigs arse, no way I'm paying some idiot good money to do something I've been doing almost everyday for the last 8 years. It's not hard to fit a child seat properly and no do gooding Beuracratic imbecile isn't going to persuade me otherwise.