PDA

View Full Version : Leak lower hose on radiator?

daz172
7th November 2013, 10:08 PM
Hey , I have a 2.8ltr turbo diesel, noticed a small puddle on drive way this am , got underneath for a quick look and it's not oil but almost like coolant, but coolant levels in radiator haven't changed, it looked like it coming from the lower radiator hose, the 1 that goes to thermostat, so I tightened up all hose clamps but still leaking and the hose seems to be in good order , any ideas wat this could b and how to fix? Could it b comeing from the thermostat and running down hose?? Do thermostats have a gasket? Lol I've never played with thermostats b4

NP99
7th November 2013, 10:49 PM
Could be a bit of muck, pull the hoses off and use some fine sandpaper then try again.

daz172
7th November 2013, 11:20 PM
Ok thanks will give that ago

my third 256
8th November 2013, 07:10 AM
also check your water pump could be a slight drip

trekster
8th November 2013, 08:01 AM
Top radiator hose goes to the thermostat on my 2.8 in my GU.

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

threedogs
8th November 2013, 09:28 AM
No tell tales signs from where it could be dripping, eg under water pump shaft.
Water expands when warm ,that's why it looks like you are not losing coolant maybe

taslucas
8th November 2013, 12:21 PM
Is it from your aircon?

daz172
8th November 2013, 04:15 PM
I checked all while the engine was cool , hadn't driven for half a day b4 I checked, not coming from aircon , that outlet is a fair distance away , I think it may b coming from water pump from another inspection as it looks like the fluid mayb traveling down the hose and dripping off lower, does anyone have an idea what this could be mayb a seal in the water pump or something?? All thought ATM it seems to have dried a little and stopped, here is a pic of wat I was talking about anyway36458

the ferret
8th November 2013, 04:20 PM
Can't see any coolant, but your front crank seal is shot by the looks of the oil stain on the sump.
Cheers, the ferret.

daz172
9th November 2013, 07:05 AM
I just had the front crank seal replaced a short time ago , and the rear main oil seal cuz they both packed it in , so maby ur just seeing the stain for when that went, wasn't very long ago at all had that changed

threedogs
9th November 2013, 07:08 AM
Get some degreaser and clean it up and You'll have a better idea,
Are you 100% its coolant??

daz172
9th November 2013, 04:40 PM
Ok will do, doesn't seem to b leaking now either , that's 2 or 3 days it hasn't leaked....watever it was , not 100% it was coolant but I'm 100% it wasn't oil , if it wasn't oil wat else it could b?? Either way it has stopped now and seems to not b coming back so hopefully I just had a blond moment and it was something simple n stupid, but I will give it a hit with degreaser n thoroughly check it out

threedogs
9th November 2013, 05:00 PM
Maybe just rain water???

daz172
10th November 2013, 09:29 AM
I don't think rain water as it hadn't rained for a while, and was extremely hot in the days leading up to it, , I'm wondering if mayb the coolant has expanded at some point somewhere and just leaked out of somewhere a bit, mayb the water pump ?? Is there anywhere for coolant to escape from there if there was too much or something silly like that?? I know the radiator has the overfill bottle , but was just wondering if it is possible for anything like that to happen anywhere else. 1 thing I did do is go thro a n tighten all hose claps under there and there was 1 very loose I tightened it up, wiped clean, but after a few hrs it had leaked more.......

threedogs
10th November 2013, 09:33 AM
Do you have an overflow hose where all extra expanded coolant
expand and flow to ground

daz172
10th November 2013, 09:56 AM
Yeh I do, it's over the other side of engine bay just coming off the overflow bottle, this "leak" seemed to b coming from other side of engine bay

threedogs
10th November 2013, 12:04 PM
You haven't got a leaking welsh plug ?????

daz172
10th November 2013, 03:54 PM
I certainly hope not, but still just been for long drive off-road, and still nothing so hopefully watever it was righted itself

threedogs
10th November 2013, 04:15 PM
Hopefully you stopped it tightening all your hoses

daz172
10th November 2013, 09:07 PM
Yes that's wat I was thinking and I'm hoping , cuz there was 1 hose clamp in particular that was very loose, but wen I tightened it up there still seemed to b a small wet patch under car but that must just have been some excess of wat leaked out b4