PDA

View Full Version : Different kinds of motor oil

risderf
7th November 2013, 01:15 PM
hi guys! it's been a while since my last post.

i came across this guy who told me that synthetic oil is harmful to engine's moving parts, especially when using it in an engine that is 15 years old-- like that of my Patrol '98 bubble-top. i checked the internet for answers but technical terms confused me more than giving clear information.

anyone who has experience using these modern motor oils on their Y60 engine? (15 years old)

i'm not sure if this is just a myth. can anyone tell me how these oils affect engine performance on old and new engine.

have a nice day everyone. God bless.

fred

my third 256
7th November 2013, 06:08 PM
hope you told him to pull the other one

macca
7th November 2013, 06:13 PM
My son in law is a diesel mechanic, he recommends I use mineral or a 50% mineral / 50% synthetic in my TD4.2Ti.
If it was a modern common rail engine he said the full synthetic is fine.
I will call him tonight and find out why that is his opinion.

macca
7th November 2013, 06:52 PM
He just rang, he has got me some oil from his work that I use. It is a Conoco product and a semi synthetic, a synthetic with additives.
I used it on our ABH / CSR trip for 11,000klm with no issues nor consumption (my engine has 185,000klm)
The additives vary with different oils depending on what the people in white coats feel should be in the mix.
His workshop uses Conoco in the prime movers to 40,000klm, some start to use oil from 35,000k just before servicing.
The workshop CRD Hilux he drives has 475,000klm on it and starts to rattle at start-up around 15,000klm when it is due for service.
The workshop forklift has the same oil as does the trailer refrigeration units, they sit at idle for hours and none give any trouble.
With regular service intervals any oil can be used in any engine as long as it is for that type, diesel oil in a diesel engine. Petrol oil in a petrol engine etc.
He did say if an engine has a few K's on it minerals are probably better, just a feel better thing, no science to back it up.
He was asked to try a Fuch oil in the trucks by a rep, he said the truck needed topping up from early in the service interval so went back to Conoco with no lasting effect and normal oil usage.
If an oil does not turn black it has no cleaners and the engine is building up sludge, a bad thing.
So what he said use anything you are happy with BUT service it regularly.
They reco the prime movers at 1,000,000klm, with the Conoco oil they show no wear on the crank shaft, reusing them as they are saving them thousands of dollars.
He had the rocker cover off one of their trucks and it was clean, a identical truck they repaired had Delo 400 and was full of sludge. He was surprised and checked its service intervals that were the same as theirs!!

First Patrol
7th November 2013, 07:00 PM
Dam I use delo 400 oil

Col.T
7th November 2013, 07:36 PM
G'day Ris, welcome to Oz.
If you'd like some interesting reading on engine oils, enough to last a year or three, type ENGINE OILS in the search panel, top right of the home /forum page.
In my experience the later, more high performance engines need full synthetics, the older either don't or may even benefit from older style mineral oils.
As Mythird says, they're either pulling your leg, joking or just plain don't know.
Quezon City!! Love to have a look one day.
Regards
Col

macca
7th November 2013, 07:36 PM
Dam I use delo 400 oil

He didn't say if the Delo had been used all its life, I know he, as well as his boss likes the Conoco and wont change. The Fuch trail convinced them.