PDA

View Full Version : In line fuses. Best placement

Col.T
6th November 2013, 07:37 PM
G'day all. Just a bit of info for interest.
Wife got home, called out and I the found cabin and engine bay filling with white smoke and that lovely smell of burning insulation.
Turns out the auto sparky who transferred my UHF radio from the last car fitted the in line fuse near the box installed under the driver's seat.
With repeated repositioning of the seat the two wires had been rubbed bare and shorted. Melt down occured from the seat carrier rail all the way through under the door sill, the firewall and up to the battery. Good fun had by all.

Suggestion. If any wiring is done from the battery, include a fuse AND FIT IT AS CLOSE TO THE BATTERY AS YOU CAN, not right up close to the instalation where shorts can occur on the up side and bypass the fuse.

Close one and a lot of time rewiring
Col

Hodge
6th November 2013, 08:23 PM
Well said Col.
Mate recently ran a 2 core wire all the way from battery to the back where he's gonna junction it to the amp, fridge, some lights etc... But he fused it right at the back next to junction terminal.
When I reminded him, what would happen if something pinches that 2 core in between the fuse and the battery, he re-thunk the set-up. That wire just about runs the full length of the car, from rear to battery, plenty of things could happen to it.

megatexture
6th November 2013, 09:32 PM
Great auto sparky lmao glad to hear the trol is ok though!

happygu
6th November 2013, 10:49 PM
Lucky that is all that happened .... could have lost the whole lot if the carpet underlay had caught fire....

Good advice with the fuses too

Mic