PDA

View Full Version : How to DVD patrol repair and maintenance

NP99
5th November 2013, 09:34 PM
If there was a DVD available that contained how to video for repairs and maintenance, what would you like to see included?

Hodge
5th November 2013, 09:41 PM
Mate, I would be prepared to pay a decent $$$ for something like this. Things I would love to see and learn from someone else doing it, who is in the know-how.
- Servicing, oil changes on everything, not just engine, but things like gear box, diffs
- NADS install ?
- Gauges install ?
- Brake pad replacements and bleeding?

Just some things instantly popped into my head.

NP99
5th November 2013, 10:15 PM
I'm also thinking bushes in general.

Warwick89
5th November 2013, 10:42 PM
A section on bush mechanics would be good

rkinsey
6th November 2013, 10:05 AM
Changing/replacing wheel bearings.
Suspension install guides (Coil and Leaf)
Cooling system maintenance and trouble shooting.
UHF installation guide.
Dual Battery Install and setup.
Spotlight setup and installation.
Welding basics.
12 and 24v basics.
Proper recovery techniques. Winching techniques, Highlift jack, Traction devices, Snatching.
Rust proofing. Paint, lanolin spray, fish oil, Phosphoric Acid application.
Tyre repair and maintenance.
Tyre guide. Choosing the tyre right for your driving style and budget.
Filter change. Fuel, Air, Oil, Cabin (AC)

I'll be starting some of these things next year on my GQ and would be more than happy to contribute.

Maybe get AB to write an APP and we could offer them on iTunes for 0.99c each... just a thought

Cheers,

Rob

NP99
8th November 2013, 11:27 PM
Changing/replacing wheel bearings.
Suspension install guides (Coil and Leaf)
Cooling system maintenance and trouble shooting.
UHF installation guide.
Dual Battery Install and setup.
Spotlight setup and installation.
Welding basics.
12 and 24v basics.
Proper recovery techniques. Winching techniques, Highlift jack, Traction devices, Snatching.
Rust proofing. Paint, lanolin spray, fish oil, Phosphoric Acid application.
Tyre repair and maintenance.
Tyre guide. Choosing the tyre right for your driving style and budget.
Filter change. Fuel, Air, Oil, Cabin (AC)

I'll be starting some of these things next year on my GQ and would be more than happy to contribute.

Maybe get AB to write an APP and we could offer them on iTunes for 0.99c each... just a thought

Cheers,

Rob

They are all good ideas Rob. Could also cover them on workshop meet ups.

mudnut
9th November 2013, 12:02 AM
How to read an electrical diagram. How to dismantle test and repair an alternator. How to read and use multimeters.

NP99
9th November 2013, 08:58 PM
How to read an electrical diagram. How to dismantle test and repair an alternator. How to read and use multimeters.

Some good multimeter vids on YouTube.

04OFF
9th November 2013, 09:38 PM
sooo, are you making a DVD NP ?

NP99
9th November 2013, 09:49 PM
It's on the agenda mate....it's no quick project though :)

04OFF
9th November 2013, 11:31 PM
Cool !, yeh ,Ive had experience in producing/filming/editing DVD/s from start to finish, its anything but a quick process :tongue:

threedogs
10th November 2013, 07:25 AM
Just wondering why it hasn't been done before, is it a copyright thing?
Trade mark, patent ???? just seems strange its never been done before

Hodge
10th November 2013, 07:34 AM
Probably no market for it TD. And with the web these days it'll be on the net for free somewhere within days of release.

04OFF
10th November 2013, 08:13 AM
Just wondering why it hasn't been done before, is it a copyright thing?
Trade mark, patent ???? just seems strange its never been done before

Copyright should be no problem if the entire works is created from scratch, and uses all original material, because then you own the rights.

Its not "always" that simple tho, as often you need things like music somewhere in any video, also filming people and property there are things you "should" take into concideration.

But all very "do-able" for small timers.

Probably no market for it TD. And with the web these days it'll be on the net for free somewhere within days of release.

Thats the problem right there, all your hard work can just get copied and spread around before you know it, sure you can take legal action, but we all know how that works out for the small guy, you hear of people spending more time and money chasing something, than it was ever worth in the first place.

Don't let it stop you, do it because you "want to" make something, not because its a investment and you expect to retire on the earnings, but hay, who knows ? ;)

SonOf
20th November 2013, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Would be good from a general garage perspective where you only use basic gear, no hoists etc. just the gear anyone can get from supercheap or repco.

NP99
20th November 2013, 07:23 PM
That's a good thought too mate....

04OFF
20th November 2013, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Would be good from a general garage perspective where you only use basic gear, no hoists etc. just the gear anyone can get from supercheap or repco.

Ironically, it looks like you can actually buy a hoist from Repco ......

http://repcoequipment.businesscatalyst.com/vehicle-hoists

Warwick89
20th November 2013, 10:00 PM
Wonder what they charge for the four post one lol

NP99
20th November 2013, 11:43 PM
Ironically, it looks like you can actually buy a hoist from Repco ......

http://repcoequipment.businesscatalyst.com/vehicle-hoists

They are getting cheaper.....the concrete slab costs more.... :)

NP99
20th November 2013, 11:44 PM
Wonder what they charge for the four post one lol

I can post you the invoice for a Brisbane delivery :)

Warwick89
21st November 2013, 12:35 AM
Hahaha nah I'll be right mate somehow I think it's overkill for my needs

SonOf
21st November 2013, 10:42 AM
Hahaha nah I'll be right mate somehow I think it's overkill for my needs

Never say anything with regards to tools or accessories are overkill, the misses could see it and use it later as ammunition ;-)

And I have looked at the 4 posters but that can wait to my next house.

Warwick89
21st November 2013, 06:38 PM
Never say anything with regards to tools or accessories are overkill, the misses could see it and use it later as ammunition ;-)

And I have looked at the 4 posters but that can wait to my next house.

True I'll keep that in mind about the girl finding out lol.
I'll wait until the finale house before I worry about it

NP99
21st November 2013, 08:17 PM
Or as I do.....encourage you son to buy one... :)

Gecko17
3rd December 2013, 08:40 PM
Are you looking to make money from the DVD? Or just wanting to get the info out there? One thought being that you video a series of Workshop tutorials, in which a group of willing particiapants are shown the suggested topics, as has already been prevously mentioned, and then the end result is uploaded to something like youtube.

As all footage is shot by you and on your own property/vehicles etc...shouldn't contraveen any privacy laws... I'm sure that any known brands could be blurred out if required and you may even get sponsors...

NP99
4th December 2013, 02:02 AM
No, money is not a concern, getting info on film and accessed by those that need it is my intent.

Kwarte
4th December 2013, 09:02 AM
Would be very keen to see this. I know the basics but always want to learn more so I can maintain my GQ myself.

Gecko17
4th December 2013, 03:49 PM
No, money is not a concern, getting info on film and accessed by those that need it is my intent.

I think that it is a fantastic idea mate. As with most of the guys, I know enough to get the basics done. Something like this would be a Godsend. For some stupid reason, I can relate to video better than manuals.

NP99
4th December 2013, 05:56 PM
I think that it is a fantastic idea mate. As with most of the guys, I know enough to get the basics done. Something like this would be a Godsend. For some stupid reason, I can relate to video better than manuals.

I know the feeling, when shown something I can read the manual, then it makes sense....I guess we all have different learning styles...

Gecko17
8th December 2013, 08:40 PM
Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chipppa
12th December 2013, 12:38 AM
i really like that APP idea... anyone know of anyone making moves in that direction?