PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 upgrade

B rad
5th November 2013, 03:07 PM
have recently upgraded the turbo on my 4.2
it ran great for about 3 days and seems to have lost boost have taken back and they are sure there is no leaks or blockages
there is a crazy induction noise which is more like an unpleasant screeching than the nice spooling sound its seem to hold from about 14 psi till 20 psi I am yet to get a bigger intercooler and diesel pump its seems to boost hard and fast early in the morning when she is cold (motor and out side temperature ) and lag when is warm (motor and temperature) does this mean intercooler is not doing its job and could I be damaging new turbo.
also seems to be blowing more black smoke than before although I also got a 3 inch exhaust which is now directed out to the left side where as before it was straight out the back maybe I just couldn't notice as much before

89gqpatrol4x4
5th November 2013, 04:45 PM
any suggestions for old mate?

mudski
5th November 2013, 04:49 PM
I take it the new turbo has been inspected and is not foobar??? The turbo was the last thing touched so it should be the first thing looked at.

B rad
5th November 2013, 05:33 PM
inspected by the guys that put it in ha ha was a highly recommended company so ive been led to believe they seem to know what there on about but im not sure drove oven an hour to get to them probably passing 500 mechanics to get there and cant say im totally satisfied I love my patrol by im regularly falling in and out of love with it one day I love it next day I hate it kind of like my wife I guess just kidding

nissannewby
6th November 2013, 12:05 AM
Where are you located? It sounds like you may have a restriction somewhere. Try checking/replacing your air cleaner. A larger turbo can sometimes bring out the short comings in an induction system.

B rad
6th November 2013, 11:53 PM
Gold Coast had work done is Brissy is a strange induction noise what do you mean by that ?

B rad
6th November 2013, 11:55 PM
And I took the air filter out all together and went for a spin sounded pretty cool but didn't change anything ?

nissannewby
7th November 2013, 12:04 AM
Is it factory intercooled?

B rad
7th November 2013, 02:23 AM
yeah sure is I am planning on a bigger custom intercooler, and monster pump. just couldn't afford it all at once was thinking maybe the intercooler is not handling although the mechanics seem to think its fine but I drive it every day and know something aint right

nissannewby
7th November 2013, 03:11 AM
With the screeching noise etc the intercooler could be leaking, actually is most probably leaking. The factory one on mine is leaking even at 10psi (I run mine at 25psi at the moment) and does squeal once the boost gets past 15. The factory cooler is really only efficient to about 12-14psi. You are already going to replace it so I wouldn't worry to much.

B rad
7th November 2013, 02:19 PM
thanks mate that's what I thought but my concern is can this damage anything ie. new turbo or is it just restricting its performance

B rad
7th November 2013, 02:22 PM
it may be a wile before I can afford the next stage of the up grade there telling me im looking at around $5000 to have new monster pump and custom intercooler installed does this sound on the money or to much ?

nissannewby
7th November 2013, 02:46 PM
In time it can damage your turbo as it has to work harder to keep supplying your engine with air in a leaking system. It wouldn't hurt to also check for exhaust leaks, check turbo mounting nuts and manifold nuts.

5k sounds normal for someone else to be doing the work. Do you know the specs of this "monster"pump and intercooler as this will give an indication of whether the costing is correct.

B rad
7th November 2013, 08:22 PM
no I don't mate is being done by amms which has been highly recommended by a heap of guys being from bris im sure you have herd of them hopefully only good reports

B rad
7th November 2013, 08:23 PM
they have been all over it and guarantee me there are no leaks anywhere

nissannewby
7th November 2013, 09:42 PM
no I don't mate is being done by amms which has been highly recommended by a heap of guys being from bris im sure you have herd of them hopefully only good reports

Don't go there!

B rad
7th November 2013, 10:05 PM
whys that whats the problem

viking
18th November 2013, 10:13 PM
I would be very carefull about running without an air filter in even around the block. any dust etc in the intake anywhere can damage your turbo very easily. I have had a nasty experience with this...