PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Belts for 2000 GU TD42 Turbo

Lynton
5th November 2013, 10:56 AM
I wish to replace the three belts on my 2000 GU TD42 Turbo. Reading various forums suggest obtaining correctly sized replacements is problematic. My owners manual states the alternator belt size is 13.9 x 1140mm. I can't find info on the sizes of the air conditioning and power steering belts. I would be grateful if someone could tell me the correct belts - codes, part number or some other identifier - by Gates, Bosch or some other manufacturer.

mudski
5th November 2013, 11:05 AM
Please jump over to the intro forums and say hi there first bud...Its something we ask of new members to do.

Alternator belt : 13A1150
Power steering : 13A1250
Air Cond : 13A0950

According to Gates thats what they are so I assume they'd be right. Just be aware that if you use those numbers for Dayco you will get the wrong ones as Dayco and Gates measure belts differently. One takes the measurement on the outside of the belt, and one does it on the inside..

Cuppa
5th November 2013, 11:29 AM
I don’t trust the catalogues. The ones listed in the Bosch catalogue didn’t fit. Bosch replaced them for me with the sizes I requested & the replacements fitted ok.

These are what I now have on my ’06 4.2 TDi

Air Con -13A0965
Alternator 13A1145 *note 1150 or 1155 would be easier to get onto pulleys
Power Steering 13A1230 * note 1245 would also fit.

Cuppa

Lynton
5th November 2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks sincerely Mudski. I shall visit my local supplier this arvo.

Lynton
5th November 2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks Cuppa: Most valuable info.! Actually I have the Bosch alternator and power steering belts as spares. So shall use these. The other Bosch spare I have is 13A0990, for the air conditioner???? Shall chase up the 13A0965. Regards. Lynton

Cuppa
5th November 2013, 12:14 PM
No worries Lynton. When you come back make a post in the intro section eh? It's seen as the polite thing to do. It helps to maintain the strong sense of community we have here, & lets the regulars feel like they are not just providing a 'library service' .

mudski
5th November 2013, 12:33 PM
I don’t trust the catalogues. The ones listed in the Bosch catalogue didn’t fit. Bosch replaced them for me with the sizes I requested & the replacements fitted ok.

These are what I now have on my ’06 4.2 TDi

Air Con -13A0965
Alternator 13A1145 *note 1150 or 1155 would be easier to get onto pulleys
Power Steering 13A1230 * note 1245 would also fit.

Cuppa
The catalogues only go by OEM fitment. If the alternator, power steering or the A/c pump has been changed in its life theres a high chance the pulley sizes are not the same.
you can just remove the belt and measure it. Just mark a line on the outside of the belt and run a tape around it to give you the length and then measure the top width of the belt. Easy peasy.

threedogs
5th November 2013, 01:10 PM
If the belt is easy to remove I would take it off and take it in they have belt measuring tools.
Not sure about measuring belts differently, if close to town mention there may be differences
and if they don't fit you can swap them for the correct ones like Cuppa did.
@ Lynton let us know what sizes you brought please.

Cuppa
5th November 2013, 02:45 PM
The catalogues only go by OEM fitment.

Ah but ........ After finding the belts listed in the Bosch catalogue did not fit I went to several shops & had them look up the belt sizes in the catalogues of a few different belt manufacturers & found a number of variations between them. And I’m pretty sure that all the stuff in my car is bog standard. I suspect that there may be variations between OEM fitments, & it’s quite possible that the belts for a 2000 4.2TD are different to a 2006 4.2 TDi but listed in catalogues as the same???

Lynton
5th November 2013, 03:33 PM
Have done so earlier today Cuppa. I was unaware of the need for this courtesy. However I didn't know what sort of info. should have been included. Can you tell me after seeing my Intro. Cheers. Lynton

mudski
5th November 2013, 04:30 PM
Ah but ........ After finding the belts listed in the Bosch catalogue did not fit I went to several shops & had them look up the belt sizes in the catalogues of a few different belt manufacturers & found a number of variations between them. And I’m pretty sure that all the stuff in my car is bog standard. I suspect that there may be variations between OEM fitments, & it’s quite possible that the belts for a 2000 4.2TD are different to a 2006 4.2 TDi but listed in catalogues as the same???

I wouldn't have thought that a 2000 and 2006 would be the same anyway.

Dyl-SA
5th April 2014, 11:57 PM
Sorry to dig out an old thread, but cheers guys, you have saved me a headache, my replacement engine had no belts on it at all, and the Bosch guide sent me in completely the wrong direction.