PDA

View Full Version : Air Control lever tight

angelo_f
4th November 2013, 04:47 PM
Greetings

I have a SWB GQ and I have found that the air control lever (the one that directs air to windscreen, floor or front) is quite sticky and at times won't move. If I put my hand under the console, I can move the intake, but it is quite hard with the lever. I suspect the cable might need lubricating. Anyone know what I can use to do this?

threedogs
4th November 2013, 05:47 PM
WD 40 or similar should loosen it up, go for it I reckon

NP99
4th November 2013, 05:48 PM
Or graphite on puffed in maybe.....

04OFF
4th November 2013, 06:56 PM
WD 40 or similar should loosen it up, go for it I reckon

Nooooooo !, whatever you do DO NOT spray any WD40 type products on any plastic to plastic slide mechanisms, it can weld them together or make them even stiffer !

Powdered graphite is OK , but IMO, spray grease is the go !

angelo_f
5th November 2013, 05:34 AM
I have some lithium spray grease - I'll give that a go and let you know ow it goes

threedogs
5th November 2013, 07:29 AM
My Bad, I would have thought it was ok trying to free inner cable, live and learn
Lanotec is good on all surfaces being a natural product

04OFF
5th November 2013, 03:29 PM
My Bad, I would have thought it was ok trying to free inner cable, live and learn
Lanotec is good on all surfaces being a natural product

Technically, using wd on the actual metal cable core and plastic outer is actually no problem 3D, (plastic on metal), its all the other areas , gears and slides that are plastic to plastic that are of concern, its difficult to "only" spray the cable core, and not get it over the other stuff (plus it can run down where you dont want it)

The other problem is , that 99% of the time, the sticking is caused by the plasic to plastic slide parts on the side of the vent/heater core chamber anyway, not actually the cables , so its much better to use a product that it safe on "everything" under there.

angelo_f
6th November 2013, 07:10 AM
Is that inside the chamber or on the side. How would I lubricate that part and with what product. Is the lithium spray grease OK for that?

04OFF
6th November 2013, 12:36 PM
Yes Lithium spray grease is good.

Normally on the side of the chamber, if you can look up under the dash area using a torch, and see where the cable attaches to the slides, remove the cable off the slide it attaches to, normally you can pop the clip holding the outer cable first, then you can un-loop the inner cable easy.

Now you can move the control knob and cable under no load, and so confirm where the problem is, then you can reach up and push on the slide/s with your hand, normally this will be the stiff bit, spray your grease over it and work back and forwards with your hand (carefull not to trap fingers in the slide)

angelo_f
7th November 2013, 12:34 PM
The problem was the upper and lower door levers needed adjusting. They were putting a heap of pressure on slide link, so It was very difficult to move from second leftmost adjustment.

04OFF
7th November 2013, 02:22 PM
So you got it all sorted now ?

Sometimes the foam that is used to seal the flaps, will fall to bits over time ,and can jamb the flaps, a airblower blasted up the feet vent holes while working the flaps can dislodge it, but if you have it working good now, leave it alone , as you could also blow the foam off ,thus creating a problem.

angelo_f
8th November 2013, 11:12 AM
What you have said makes perfect sense. It was after a full on bumpy ride that it started happening (the truck is 25 years old next month). I ended up actually disconnecting those levers because I broke the little plastic knob that guides its way through to open and close. I can see that it is out of alignment, probably because the foam is dislodged. I am not concerned though. At least I can get the air back up on the windscreen for demisting now