PDA

View Full Version : I've done the unthinkable

BiLLz0r
3rd November 2013, 07:27 AM
I bought a Toyota :)
After being a Patrol lover since I was about 10 and dads first G60 (then MQ, now GU) and I have purchased my first 4WD.... A Toyota Prado. Please be gentle.

Got it for a steal tough. $22.9K, Fantasic condition. No beach work. Very minor 4WD work by the looks of it.
Dec/2007 GLX with 180K kms on it. Ex-Energex Fleet company exec car.

ARB front bar with bash plate kit.
Tow bar
3rd party reverse cam and Satnav
Snorkel
Back seat headrest DVD players
Rooftop DVD player
Pacemaker Extractors
Slotted rear bake discs, slotted and cross drilled front brakes
Dunlop AT tyres (I'll get BFG's or Mickeys when they wear out)

I take possession next week. Looking forward to our first adventure as a family in it.

NissanGQ4.2
3rd November 2013, 07:39 AM
Banned!!!!!!!!

wildgu6
3rd November 2013, 08:11 AM
A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. Planning an Oz trip upon early retirement lol, weapon of choice will most likely be a 70 series cruiser, twin cab ooooohhh,

Or a 4.2td coz I do like the ol trolls,
Early retirement hahahaha yer right

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

growler2058
3rd November 2013, 08:20 AM
My wife has a Prado lifted muddies etc etc my Patrol kicks its ARSE!!! Ah well live n learn from our mistakes. Head over to Prado point they'll try convincing you that theyre great :)

BigRAWesty
3rd November 2013, 08:21 AM
I must admit they are a nice car. And can understand your choice. Does sound like a good car.
Father in-law has one and they are very capable, although On the smaller side in the cargo area.
Check out prado point, pretty sure that's am Aussie forum and seems like it's the sister to this site in regards to Info and members.
Anyway mate enjoy the New ride.
I'm sure the guys will still welcome you on trips, need someone to recover.. :p
Cheers.
Fyi, if you interested in one of my lights keep an eye out, the prados are next..

my third 256
3rd November 2013, 08:32 AM
weight till he works out the fuel usage per 100k then he will be crying
pitty they cant spell banned
:1087::1087::1087::1087::1087::band::band::band::b and::band::band::band::band::band::band::band::ban d::band::band::band::band::band::band::band::band:

Limmy
3rd November 2013, 09:26 AM
I was looking at a Prado. It wasn't manly enough so I got a Patrol

threedogs
3rd November 2013, 09:37 AM
3lt TD diesel Prado get about 10lt/100k consistently and have twin 90 ltr tanks, giving it one of the longest between fill ATM.
Nice 4x4 but I prefer my Patrol ,as Prado are IFS too get any height it'll cost $$$$$$$, inside lots of buttons to press to take away driver imput.
Friends have them and not hard to figure out why I get to snatch them out of trouble all the time, and I mean all the time.
I have front points to suit Ha Ha why
Not for ARB bar sorry

BiLLz0r
3rd November 2013, 10:33 AM
We figured it was a good combination between a family car and a 4WD. If we just wanted a 4WD only, the Patrol would win hands down. The large petrol tanks were a huge + too.

threedogs
3rd November 2013, 10:44 AM
Could do a lot worse than a Prado, that's for sure

mudnut
3rd November 2013, 10:51 AM
I had a look at an older 4 cylinder Prado, before I bought my Old Trol. It seemed to be a bigger version of my 4wd Corolla. Apart from having to do the head gasket, twice, that little car was bullet proof. It is now my bush bomb and it has 410000km of hard labour on the clock. The down side for the Prado was cost of parts, and it was too small to comfortably fit my family in. Good luck with your purchase, but talk to the hand until you see the light and rejoin our ranks.

BigRAWesty
3rd November 2013, 11:03 AM
I was looking at a Prado. It wasn't manly enough so I got a Patrol

The the in-laws is called skirt cruiser..

threedogs
3rd November 2013, 11:15 AM
Mods please do your god given duty please.
You know you want to

NP99
3rd November 2013, 11:29 AM
What ever you drive, just enjoy it......:)

Clunk
3rd November 2013, 12:30 PM
I'd rather have my nutsack dragged over 10km of course grain sand paper

wildgu6
3rd November 2013, 02:08 PM
Aahh Adrian, LMFAO you clown, all I could picture is you with you ankles around your ears gettin dragged down the road, kinda like a dog when it drags its arse around the ground when its got anal issues lol.

Clunk
3rd November 2013, 10:57 PM
Aahh Adrian, LMFAO you clown, all I could picture is you with you ankles around your ears gettin dragged down the road, kinda like a dog when it drags its arse around the ground when its got anal issues lol.

It's seriously the best way to clean your arse mate......... Millions of dogs can't be wrong !!!!! ;):D

TPC
3rd November 2013, 11:19 PM
The Prado is not a bad 4wd, I had one for 11 years before getting the Patrol.
Was unbeatable in the sand but shit in the cross axel stuff.
Never broke down too, except for the blown diff I had and the flex plate and torque convertor and the starter motor and the alternator, but other than those it never broke down.

NP99
3rd November 2013, 11:28 PM
Could do a lot worse than a Prado, that's for sure

Yep, Great Wall, Colorado,land rover series 1-3 and that Russian box thing :)

Clunk
3rd November 2013, 11:48 PM
Yep, Great Wall, Colorado,land rover series 1-3 and that Russian box thing :)

dont knock the Niva man!!!!!!!!.................... class vehicle that mate, definite bang for buck...................... literally

NP99
4th November 2013, 12:41 PM
Pizdet'............

trekster
4th November 2013, 08:02 PM
Fella at work has one of these Prada's and I am forever giving him shite about it! His petrol one guzzles fuel, like 15/16L at its best, I hope yours is better economy then that, He told me the other day it was gonna cost $260 to fill up both tanks until he used a big fuel voucher lol.....

Clunk
4th November 2013, 08:06 PM
Fella at work has one of these Prada's and I am forever giving him shite about it! His petrol one guzzles fuel, like 15/16L at its best, I hope yours is better economy then that, He told me the other day it was gonna cost $260 to fill up both tanks until he used a big fuel voucher lol.....

15/16l per 100??????..................... blimey, I wish i saw those figures on my TB42E!!!!!!! hahahahahaha

BigRAWesty
4th November 2013, 08:07 PM
Yea the v6 petrol which my old's have is heavy on Fuel. Makes the old tb42 not to bad..
The straight 4 turbo diesel is around the 11-12L per 100.

Limmy
5th November 2013, 12:37 PM
the " Grande " are nice . full leather and has its own fridge

trekster
5th November 2013, 07:08 PM
15/16l per 100??????..................... blimey, I wish i saw those figures on my TB42E!!!!!!! hahahahahaha

That was his best mate, it got a lot worse when it was driven around town or in the bush hahaha

BiLLz0r
5th November 2013, 07:29 PM
From the reading online, hwy driving can be as low as 11, city and bush, as high as 17-18. Still better than a 4.5/4.8 Patrol though under the same conditions and this is what we looked at. It's officially 13.1 but we all know they mean jack.

outback
6th November 2013, 01:13 AM
BiLLz0r,
We all realise this is your first 4x4 and we are all happy for you.
What we collectively are saying one way or the other and in our collective odd ways is that once you have had a go you will realise that having a nice Toyota is ok but a real 4x4 is going to mean an upgrade to a Patrol.

Now about that fuel bit..
Highway driving 11 l/100k!!!!! Hmm. Think I will stick to my Patrol at 10.5/10.3 thanks.

City 17/18 l/km Ahhhhhh!!!!!! No thanks. The only time I get that bad is with the caravan on the back and if I drive at a sensible speed, less than 100km.h with head wind it’s a lot better around 15.

What ever, enjoy the new toy and have fun with it..

BiLLz0r
6th November 2013, 07:50 AM
Sounds like you have a Diesel.

This is a Petrol so lets keep the comparisons apples with apples. A Patrol was too big a daily for the wife. It's not just an offroad vehicle.

threedogs
6th November 2013, 08:44 AM
You may find especially if you tow you will have nothing after 100kph for overtaking.
In all the Prado Range to ones to avoid are the air bag one [suspension] and petrol if thinking of touring.
My friend has one been all over Aust and gets 10/100lt in touring mode [diesel]
The IFS lets it down bigtime, ok for 2 but any more a bit squishy

BiLLz0r
6th November 2013, 11:47 AM
Thanks 3Dog. I heard the same about the air bags and avoided that model (Grande).
I realise the the limitations of the IFS. If I was to left it, 2" max (Max legal in QLD anyway).
It's not going to be a major bush basher. It's for beach driving, not 2' ruts and mud hill climbs.

taslucas
6th November 2013, 12:06 PM
Not being mean (and I wish you all the best for the new car and hope you have many happy trails) but, isn't it time this conversation moved to a prado forum??????

threedogs
6th November 2013, 01:44 PM
I said that 18 posts ago but think mods are being funny ha ha,
please delete it is not relevant at all

TPC
6th November 2013, 04:53 PM
I know how to get this thread closed, by adding this photo.

growler2058
6th November 2013, 05:32 PM
I know how to get this thread closed, by adding this photo.

A patrol recovering a snot box in reverse.............noice

threedogs
6th November 2013, 05:34 PM
Only an expert could pull off a reverse recovery like that well done
The holy grail of recoveries