PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak from drivers side Engine - HELP

jackwalks
2nd November 2013, 02:22 PM
G'day all,

Over the last several weeks I have noticed what I think is a small continuous oil leak from the right side of the engine. Look down at the engine, it appears dry and normal, but when I slide under the car you can see quite a large wet/ moist area.

The leak is not enough to leave a puddle on the drive way. Now been a beginner in the mechanical area. I am hoping someone may have an idea on what the culprit is.

I will eventually have my mechanic look, but I would like to go their with some background info, and not be told that it the flux capacitator again.

Cheers

Adam

the ferret
2nd November 2013, 03:06 PM
It could be the hose with the genuine hoseclip leaking, see of it's loose.
Cheers, the ferret.

Col.T
6th November 2013, 07:21 PM
G'day Adam,
is it sump oil (looks too clean) or can you tell by feel/smell whether it's coolant or say clutch fluid?
Are all your fluid levels stable? Any idea what the tube/line is. I've been too lazy to get under mine, sorry.
Col

my third 256
7th November 2013, 09:13 AM
give it a good degrease and start again looking for the first signs of leak
yeh the mechanic will say you need a new engine

Bloodyaussie
7th November 2013, 09:20 AM
You need to clean it all and then work out where its coming from mate....... no good trying to guess where when its like that!!

bamr33
7th November 2013, 05:57 PM
Like Col.T said it looks to clean to engine oil, might be power steering fluid. Better pics from top near the source of the leak would help.

jackwalks
7th November 2013, 06:39 PM
G'day Adam,
is it sump oil (looks too clean) or can you tell by feel/smell whether it's coolant or say clutch fluid?
Are all your fluid levels stable? Any idea what the tube/line is. I've been too lazy to get under mine, sorry.
Col

give it a good degrease and start again looking for the first signs of leak
yeh the mechanic will say you need a new engine

You need to clean it all and then work out where its coming from mate....... no good trying to guess where when its like that!!

Like Col.T said it looks to clean to engine oil, might be power steering fluid. Better pics from top near the source of the leak would help.

Gday all,

Thanks for the ideas above. I have put some of the liquid on my fingers, and can not smell anything, when I first noticed the leak, it was very clear (just after I did my oil change), and a couple of days ago I have noted it is a little darker. I will definitely give the engine a good degrease and wash when I do my next service and take photos after to compare.

I have checked all my fluid levels and all seem to be good, no noticeable drop in anything. When I drive I have no lights and engine seems to run fine with no loss of power. I am a bit stumped.

I will keep you posted when I do my next service and hopefully may be able to solve this small issue.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their input and advise, I have taken it all on board.

Cheers

Adam

Col.T
7th November 2013, 07:45 PM
G'day again Jacko,
Reckon that's the way to go.
Major leaks generally show up as a problem with clutch/brake/coolant/you name it but until it becomes clear what level is going down or what is misbehaving, it's all a bit vague.
Clear after a service but now darkening up would certainly indicate engine oil but where it's from is the question.
They say patience is a virtue but, son of a b**ch, I never got any.
Hang in there and keep watch,
regards,
Col

Benno7
7th November 2013, 08:30 PM
Did you spill any oil while doing the service? did you notice the oil leak before you changed the oil?
Clean it off and keep an eye on it.
a small amount of oil spilt will make a big mess on an engine.

Cuppa
7th November 2013, 08:36 PM
A small amount of oil spreads a long way. After you have degreased the motor & it’s dry you could try puffing talcum powder all over the affected area & then run the motor. This will give a much clearer indication of where any leak is coming from, if indeed you do have a leak.

Cuppa

my third 256
8th November 2013, 09:08 AM
as you have said you changed filter i am wondering if the rubber washer is not seating wright
filter could be loose
washer crimped soo easy to do
had to tighten mine up after service by nissans
took it back and demanded they clean the engine as it was their stuffup
was all done all apologetic
they didnt clean out drip tray so oil on the drive way
told them to get round here and clean it uo
not the first time this has happened
they were asound in 10 minuites
lucky thats the final service to be done because of extended warranty