PDA

View Full Version : Battery Earth

phelonius
2nd November 2013, 12:22 PM
I was wondering if what i had circled in the picture had any real purpose and if i would be okay not using it anymore.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/1.jpg?1

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/2.jpg?1

Also my battery isn't held down by anything, is there an easy way to tie it down. I got a battery tie down kit from supercheap but the rods are too long on one side and too short on the other.

Thanks guys.

threedogs
2nd November 2013, 03:01 PM
If its an earth yes clean it up and re fix it, you'll find heaps of earth straps at different places,
like grill, engine bay dash, front cabin , rear cabin. each section has it own earth, even left / right
Even if you join some big long cable ties secure your battery some how, its 30kg bumping around
could cost plenty down the track

Is this a GQ ???

phelonius
2nd November 2013, 04:02 PM
If its an earth yes clean it up and re fix it, you'll find heaps of earth straps at different places,
like grill, engine bay dash, front cabin , rear cabin. each section has it own earth, even left / right
Even if you join some big long cable ties secure your battery some how, its 30kg bumping around
could cost plenty down the track

Is this a GQ ???

Yeah it's a gq.
Do you think an occy strap work?

Bloodyaussie
2nd November 2013, 04:12 PM
No do not use an ocky strap..... fix it properly as you can have a fire under your bonnet from a battery jumping from its spot and coming in contact with metal ie the bonnet its self.

Yendor
2nd November 2013, 04:28 PM
Yes you need it, that is the main earth for the body. It doesn't need to be battery cable now you could replace it with 5mm2 wire if you like.

Where does the red battery cable go to? a winch?. I would wrap some conduit around it.

phelonius
2nd November 2013, 04:49 PM
Red cable goes to the winch.

What does the original tie down system look like for the tb42?

threedogs
2nd November 2013, 05:12 PM
Never ever use OCKY straps Accident waiting to happen should be banned, and don't let Kids play with them either

If your stuck until after the week end a rachet strap will hold your battery down but call on a few mates and get some brackets made.
SCA may have a truck size battery holder for little outlay,, but again never use OCKY strap, they will rip an eye out, hate them with a passion
OE battery hold down may just be 2 threaded rods that will hook into each side of the tray with a cross plate to hold it firm, Don't use wing nuts use nylocs if possible

Where you located

89gqpatrol4x4
2nd November 2013, 05:20 PM
No do not use an ocky strap..... fix it properly as you can have a fire under your bonnet from a battery jumping from its spot and coming in contact with metal ie the bonnet its self.
x2 with that. Seen it happen first hand to a old hilux. The battery was held in with cable ties and it fell out. very nearly caused a fire, burnt fuel line and smoke was pissing out from under the bonnet, but no actual flames, very lucky.

phelonius
2nd November 2013, 05:26 PM
OE battery hold down may just be 2 threaded rods that will hook into each side of the tray with a cross plate to hold it firm, Don't use wing nuts use nylocs if possible

Where you located

Sydney.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Battery-Hold-Down-7-Clamps.aspx?pid=214440&menuFrom=40605#Cross

I got one of those but on one side the rod is too long. on the other it's too short.

If i use it with something like this
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Battery-Tray-Large.aspx?pid=214451#Cross
and get shorter rods would it be alright?

my third 256
2nd November 2013, 05:44 PM
go to bunnings get some endless rod and 2 washers and 2 wing nute in the fastener isle
bend a hook on the end . measure for length and cut a little longer
do the same for the other side
use bracket from the kit you have
install and all is good for a few dollare

taslucas
2nd November 2013, 07:08 PM
Red cable goes to the winch.

What does the original tie down system look like for the tb42?

Just a rod with a hook on the bottom and nut on the top

NissanGQ4.2
2nd November 2013, 07:22 PM
Sydney.

Where abouts in Sydney, I live in Warrimoo ( lower blue mountains ) and have an original one you can borrow until you get one sorted. Just send me a PM if you need 2 borrow it.

Cheers

Toddie

phelonius
3rd November 2013, 12:03 PM
Fixed it up. Thanks guys.
I'll change the wing nuts to those nyloc ones next time i go to bunnings.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/3.jpg?1

Lionel84
5th November 2013, 03:50 PM
Fixed it up. Thanks guys.
I'll change the wing nuts to those nyloc ones next time i go to bunnings.

Good to hear you got it sorted bro! A lot of things in your car utilise the body of the car to send the negative back to the battery. Without these leads connected, nothing would work!
Another win for the team at The Forum!